Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I identify A LOT with most of the N qualities, like getting lost in my head and coming up with elaborate explanations for everything.

You guys? Don't leave me alone here.

:shocked:

·
Banned
2,233 Posts
I identify A LOT with most of the N qualities, like getting lost in my head and coming up with elaborate explanations for everything.

I ain't gonna leave you hanging.

In the first online MBTI test I took, I came out INTP. I was interested in this crap, so I kept going on and on and on, taking tests from all over. Then I looked around online, viewing INTP forums, so on and so forth.

Like, I uh...don't play Magic The Gathering or collect Gundam Wing action figures so obviously I am not one of them (I'm joking--calm down).

I would like to think that we are one of the most intuitive-heavy of the sensors, if not heaviest. On the surface, Ti can be mistaken for an intuitive function and Ni is the rawest intuitive function there is (in my opinion).

The largest difference is Se--whereas the stereotypical intuitive breaks down ideas and complex theories, we naturally deconstruct the world around us.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I always tie between S and N. I'm with fourtines; it's relatively normal at the aux-ter level.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always tie between S and N. I'm with fourtines; it's relatively normal at the aux-ter level.
I almost tied between S-N and J-P. Only my E-I and T-F scores were decisive lol.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Myer-Briggs on introversion:
http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/extraversion-or-introversion.asp said:
I like getting my energy from dealing with the ideas, pictures, memories, and reactions that are inside my head, in my inner world. I often prefer doing things alone or with one or two people I feel comfortable with. I take time to reflect so that I have a clear idea of what I’ll be doing when I decide to act. Ideas are almost solid things for me. Sometimes I like the idea of something better than the real thing.
I think sites based on Keirsey's temperaments often describe being introspective as intuitive. But I don't believe that whether one is observing the world or in their head has that much to do with S vs N in Myer-Briggs typology.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Myer-Briggs on introversion:

I think sites based on Keirsey's temperaments often describe being introspective as intuitive. But I don't believe that whether one is observing the world or in their head has that much to do with S vs N in Myer-Briggs typology.
People on the Keirsey site think I'm a "Performer Artisan" so I suppose not.

I think I'm a pretty big thinker.

Guess this is what @LiquidLight means about me being confident in my Te...dammit...

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I Ni intuitives in the groin. And I'm concise while doing so.

I lean pretty heavily towards the N side. I even relate to their hobbies, humor, etc. I'm assuming it's the chameleon ability ISTPs seem to possess, combined with my chosen career path. There are a lot of N types in IT (mainly INTJ and INTP).

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
People on the Keirsey site think I'm a "Performer Artisan" so I suppose not.

I think I'm a pretty big thinker.
Are you saying you are not a performer-artisan or that "thinking a lot" is not seen as intuition?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't know about anyone else, but I often find myself just drifting off which makes me wonder if I'm ISTP because I have this idea that ISTPs are always in the moment and focussed.
Does this happen with anyone else? I think it happens most when I'm overwhelmed in certain social situations for example.

The only thing that makes me think I'm not N is that I don't particularly enjoy drifting off and I don't consciously think through theories or anything during that time. As soon as I realise I've drifted off, I snap out of it and come back into the real world again. Can anyone relate to that?

·
Registered
547 Posts

Absolutely. Stuck in my head whenever I possibly can - I like it that way. I drift off in meetings, social situations, anything that bores me.

I'm def not an NT though. Or an NF. I think it's just the Ti - Ni connection. I'm never deconstructing theories, when I drift off in my head I like to think about the process I'm going to use to build my next project. Whatever is interesting to me at the time..sometimes I'll think in depth about situations with other people and how to deal with them, but it wears me out pretty quick so then I just think "screw it" and go back to thinking about the house I want to build.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't know about anyone else, but I often find myself just drifting off which makes me wonder if I'm ISTP because I have this idea that ISTPs are always in the moment and focussed.
Does this happen with anyone else? I think it happens most when I'm overwhelmed in certain social situations for example.

The only thing that makes me think I'm not N is that I don't particularly enjoy drifting off and I don't consciously think through theories or anything during that time. As soon as I realise I've drifted off, I snap out of it and come back into the real world again. Can anyone relate to that?
I drift off quite a bit, though to be fair, the #1 time is during some boring-ass lecture.

If you're not in something that interests you, you're bound to drift off. This is true for anyone, but it seems like it would be aggravated for sensors.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
It might not be too hard to switch between the two for some people. There's a post in the functions subforum about switching between types at work vs at home. I posted a personal example in another thread here.

The funny part - I enjoy looking at theories that I take as fact since there's proven largely true by physical evidence and logic. In order to prove something, you have to have observable evidence to back it up so you have to develop your Se very well. The theory part is pretty the big picture while a person could be "in the field" for such a long time that they're using almost exclusively Se.

Spark notes version : I'm gleefully hopping between S-N. Se is the most used function but boy do I spend more than my fair share of time in Ne.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Are you saying you are not a performer-artisan or that "thinking a lot" is not seen as intuition?
Over in another thread @LiquidLight was suggesting I'm an Se dom because I use so much Te, or feel very confident in my "thinking side." I've also been called on the Keirsey site a Performer (the ESFP persona) ...however, they're two different things. Keirsey deals in persona and temperament, and LL was suggesting I have too much Te to be an ISFP.

I consider myself to be pretty "introspective" is my point, and people on the Keirsey forum have fully accepted me as being an SP, even as a Performer rather than a Composer.

I consider Keirsey to be a completely different system, though, and I go by ISFP because of three things:

1) Dario Nardi's neurotyping. I magically picked the same exact points in the brain as Fi doms have. I don't think that's a mistake. Nardi goes on to explain that the difference between the Fi/Ne and the Fi/Se type is that the Fi/Ne is a "deeper listener" while the Fi/Se will listen a shorter period of time before responding or taking action. I said ohai that sounds like I'm an ISFP and now I haz cognitive proof.

2) PTypes ISFP "Exuberant Personality" pretty much describes me EXACTLY. It's the only "composite" description I dig.

3) ISTJ, who is the only person still in existence in the world who BOTH knows me well enough AND has the knowledge of personality theory to call my type...and he calls me ISFP.

Otherwise, on Keirsey I could go either way...quite literally, I tested perfectly I/E 50/50 on his PUMII book test. However, I got ESFP the last time I took his paid, on-line test, but it could just be spitting out a random result if I also scored 50/50 there.

Also, for "best fit type" on that web site of the same name, I relate to both ESFP and ISFP.

I think ISFP makes sense for me, though, because I mistook myself for an NF at first, like many ISxPs do, apparently.

I also get INFP lots, and lots, and lots, and lots, on MBTI-style tests, including the official 60 dollar MBTI.

I'm sorry that post you responded to didn't make any sense. I'm sick and I was loopy from self-medicating last night. I'm thinking more clearly tonight.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
That's your Ti.

Ti = eternity stuck in your head
Good, I am glad someone mentioned this although Fourtines is correct as well that we use Ni. @jamie: I would be interested in knowing what you are considering "intuiting" qualities. Remember as Berens/Nardi says, Ti and Ni can appear as look a-likes
Ti and Ni are often accompanied by a sense of detachment and disconnection. With both there tends to be comfort with complexity. The difference is that when we are engaging in Ti, we usually have a clear sense of the principles or models something is judged against, whereas with Ni, an impressionistic image forms in the mind.
Sorry to continue to bring this thread up, but we do relate more to INTs and NT temperament in general, than any other type and SP.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@Functianalyst

When I find myself having entire conversations in my head, or coming up with elaborate explanations for very mundane things. Especially when I sit down and come up with ideas for an entire book series in an hour.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts