Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which type is more egoistic ? e.g don't like to help other people or be focused on yourself and don't matter so much about his relations with others (he canbe unkind sometimes)
is it possible to be one of those 2 types without need to help others ?
EII is known as empath and in many describtions he has hard time to say someone ^no^ while asking for help
IEI in other side is known from showing emotions and by showing kindness he likes to help others probably

·
Registered
IEI 417
445 Posts
Depends on the individual i guess?
As an IEI I consider myself to be quite a selfish person. But, I hide it well. I'm a great listener and generally very "nice" (as in, "yeah, her? she's really nice") so I don't seem like it.
I'm very selfish with my time, mostly. A very simple example of this is- if someone asks to borrow a pencil, I'll say nothing and wait for someone else to offer it. Because if I let them borrow it, then I have to deal with asking for it back, and the possible mishaps involving that, which are all unnecessary. Anyway, there are plenty of other people who are about to begrudgingly offer a pencil. Let them do it.
If I can see any subtle way out of expending extra effort (and I'm good at assessing this) without it hurting what others think of me, I won't really help.
As for the general community, I'll feel nice contributing (for example I love performing piano at my local senior center, at least, before covid happened), but if it comes at my expense ("expense" can be defined differently depending on the person), I have a very help myself and those closest to me before anyone else.

I'm able to "feel" what other people feel very easily, when i watch movies I cry all the time, but I'm not very.. compassionate. or it's hard for me to actually care, if it's someone in real life. makes me sound bad, huh

The EII I know is literally the most self-sacrificing person I know. For her, it comes from a place of morally feeling the need to be so. Not because she can't really say no because it "hurts" her or something. you could call her an activist. She's a 9w1 947 sp/so.

Anyway, there are a lot of nuances to this question and you can't really categorize as one type being more selfish/selfless than the other. every individual is selfish/selfless in different ways, and coming from different places.
are you trying to figure out if you're EII or IEI?

·
Registered
LSI-H - 6w5 sp/sx - ISTJ
141 Posts

·
Premium Member
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,553 Posts
IEI is more egotistic because it is, after all, a Beta quadra type. Fi (which means relationships in Socionics) is an unvalued function for IEIs, meaning that some of them can manipulate relationships or use them according to their own desires and necessities.

EII, on the other hand, have Fi as a lead function and live to establish good relationships with individuals. This doesn't mean IEIs are jerks, but they value way more the variety of emotional states (Fe) they can display than they value keeping harmony in stable relationships (Fi).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Depends on the individual, the circumstances and what sort of behavior you consider egoistical. I've seen both types be altruistic and egoistical but they do it differently.

IEI : altruism seems to be generated by their sophisticated intuition of time, which included seizing the crisis/opportunity, so they can be heroically helpful and altruistic when the opportunity brutally arises. They're also sensitive to other people's time and thus lavishing resources on you when deadlines loom. INFJ-Fe are also good at predisposing others favorably towards them, which includes pleasantness, which entails giving gifts, politeness, etc. Ni+Fe also means they get "sucked in" into other people's needs and future in bursts. But sophisticated intuition of time means : not being very patient when someone has a long term "meaningless/trite" issue ; not being very flexible with their time. I don't know a lot of IEI-Ni, however, so what I said doesn't necessarily apply to them.

EII. Fi attunes itself (like an instrument) to the other person vibe. It's a more passive pleasantness that don't typically include active strategies of giving gifts or words. Also includes a tyrannical internal drive to improve one's relationships with others. But that's not really visible : it's trying to listen deeper, accept more, understand more, judge less, remembering all about a person so you can "attune" yourself more accurately. + EIIs aren't skilled at all at reading other's persons needs and noticing their surroundings, so they're not proactive : if the request is not explicit or simple, they won't necessarily know the other person needed them. The combo of "wanting to help" + "not knowing when and how" means they react to other people's "perceived" needs rather than actual needs sometimes. And the "invisible" people-pleasing disposition also means that people don't typically ask them. And they're bad at managing their time, so they make more promises to help than they can fulfill.

·
Registered
LSI-H - 6w5 sp/sx - ISTJ
141 Posts
🤔 is it more like IEI does not give a fuq about social etiquette or whats appropriate 8D they express emotions even if it would be inappropriate to do so? EIIs will maintain relational harmony and consequently be more proper and polite?

I had a gf once, when she was exited e_e she would make weird noises in public, act out & ppl would look as if she was nuts.. :"> I always thought that was kinda cute and refreshing. She is weird af and proud of it, kinda awesome imo.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
🤔 is it more like IEI does not give a fuq about social etiquette or whats appropriate 8D they express emotions even if it would be inappropriate to do so? EIIs will maintain relational harmony and consequently be more proper and polite?

I had a gf once, when she was exited e_e she would make weird noises in public, act out & ppl would look as if she was nuts.. :"> I always thought that was kinda cute and refreshing. She is weird af and proud of it, kinda awesome imo.

I typed myself IEI-Ni and social etiquette is important to me to some extent. I always strive to maintain good relations with the people around me. I hated the idea of offending anyone, and I prefer to make friends rather than make enemies. I like saying kind words to people, giving people compliments, and making people feel good about themselves. I guess you could say that I'm a bit of a diplomat.

As for expressing emotions, I mostly only strive to express my emotions in appropriate situations, and I tend to loathe myself whenever I accidentally expressed my emotions in inappropriate situations. I used to have this boss who is a Te ego type, and there was once when they called me into the office and proceeded to give me a verbal dress-down, and all those harsh words just came flying onto me non-stop and given that Te is my PoLR, I got hurt when they expressed their Te in front of me, and as an Fe-valuer I have a hard time controlling my emotions and started breaking down in front of them. You wouldn't believe the amount of self-loathing I had for accidentally expressing my emotions in such an inappropriate situation. I think I still haven't forgiven myself for that incident, even though it's been a long time. :/

Also, your gf reminds me of some Fe base types. As an Fe creative, I'm a bit more self-contained and wouldn't "act out" in public.

Reactions: Carla Rose

·
Premium Member
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,553 Posts

It's not like IEIs don't give a fuck about social etiquette. IEIs know very well how to navigate the social and relational world (they have demonstrative Fi after all and will use this demonstrative Fi to their advantage), but it's still an unvalued function and essentially IEI is still a Beta quadra type. Meaning the quest for self-expression (Fe creative) is more important for IEIs than relational harmony with particular individuals, and like all other Beta quadra types, sometimes they can come across as dramatic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts