Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says. Additionally, how do you think your younger self would respond to what you say to them?

Note: I had older members in mind when I thought of, but I guess there's no reason why anyone can't answer.

Reactions: The Hungry One

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
Fuck it... I give up....

Yo dude, remember to buy a lottery ticket for Thanksgiving weekend 2004.

The winning numbers are 16 28 35 36 47 Powerball 31 Powerplay 02

Do it... Paint that crap in marker on your bedroom wall now. I'll catch you on the other side. (This shit better work too.)

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'd tell my younger self to get more sleep. A lot more.

My younger self would probably say...: "But I can't! :angry:"

To which I'd reply: "Yeah, I know. I'm just asking you, as your older self, to focus on it more than I know I did. Research it now, not later."

·
Registered
938 Posts
I'd tell myself the name of my crush, tell myself not to fuck it up. I really don't think much would change. I'd tell myself the importance of education, like my parents failed to tell me... that might help. I'd tell myself to stop writing letters of what I want to see in myself 10 years from now, they make my present self depressed.

"Convince your parents not to move, if they do, convince them for sure not to move again."

I'd tell myself "Your friend did not really throw the spider at you. Never leave her alone because your brother and her will kiss during hide-and-seek. Note: Do not become friends with her." "Most of your friends will get married young and have babies, do not become friends with them on facebook, actually don't make friends with anyone... ever." "Do not play strip-poker." You will turn out with more and well justified principles than your parents, don't let them make you feel guilty, they don't know why they do what they do."

Study up on economics and philosophy. Become a Libertarian early in life." "Good luck and live long and prosper!"

·
Registered
227 Posts
Nothing, not that I'd have a future to go back to anyway...

·
Registered
381 Posts
"Yo, don't fall for this guy, ______. Don't ask why, just look the fuck away."

Younger me would just nod. If there were anyone whom I can trust without questions, of course it would be me.

·
Registered
446 Posts
"Hello, [my name]. You probably do not recognize me. Now before we get into this, I suppose I am you -- No, I am not insane -actually I don't know if I am or not.. I am not lying to you, let me explain.The date that I came from is [insert date]. If you tell me the date presently I shall confirm my, our, identity.

Well, we both have thought about this. If I tell you something, and it changes the future then I have to either assume that we become different people, or I create an alternate future, possibly one I don't remember. I may not be able to get to that future. As such:

I was only going to tell you butterfly. However, when you reach this point in your life I want you to hand ourself this letter to us instead. Now, you won't have knowledge of what this letter says obviously, so I will tell you. Basically it says everything that I consider life changing, it tells you what it is I have learned about myself up until this point. What I like, who I am, and so on. It also tells you all the things we will end up regretting if we do not do. However, for this experiment to work I cannot tell you exactly what that any of that information is, or anything else really. I will let you know that it does contain specific instruction to our younger self, and if the second experiment works - which I know you know what I mean - then we will have a large source of income as well, obviously I am telling ourself a future winning lottery numbers - which will be [insert date]. I of course want you to write a second letter, detailing the same things I just listed. If you - we - decide to add a second lottery numbers to the second letter, make sure to write down the lottery numbers to the date I just gave you, so that if that changes we don't waste money.

Now, I should mention that when I go back I won't be able to tell if you have read the letter or if our younger self has read the letter, because in truth either way the future should change. If you do decide to skip the first experiment then, the note informs you that you should keep copious notes on everything so that our future self - the one I step back to - has the necessary information. "

The first experiment was chaos theory. If by only informing my younger self that we can go back in time to change things, and simply by meeting myself - does the future change. The note in this one is merely introducing a physical object, a "butterfly" if you will.

The second experiment is if time/future is fixed, or if by changing the past I can change my present or if I create 2 realities, one in which my present is, one in which my alternate selves future is, or if I could even go back to any future.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I'd say something like this to my, say, ten-year-old self.

"Yes, girl, your novels kinda suck right now and they won't be published--you'll see why if you keep writing--but in six years you'll stop hating them by the time they're finished. In fact, you'll find out that they're pretty awesome by then. Don't take AP French, you'll wind up depressed and unable to read French very well. High school is just middle school with more pubic hair, and less suckiness (and no, I don't mean to say those two are related). Normal bras are way more comfortable and less sweaty than sports bras, but you'll have to talk your mom out of buying them all in Easter egg colors. Mr. Richter is a terrible Physics teacher, although it'll be kind of funny when he loses it and blows his temper in a hilariously pathetic way at one of your classmates. When he claimed he was taking anger management classes in a jokey way... it wasn't actually a joke. Try to get a different teacher.

Sixth grade is just gonna suck; keep your mouth shut most of the time, don't do anything that can be warped by middle schooler brains into something dirty, and talk as little as possible to the kids in your Home Ec class. (That teacher's name is Cowherd, not Cowhead, by the way.) You'll get to know a girl called Bridget in seventh grade; she will be mean to you even though she'll try really hard not to, but she'll be one of the only friends you have, so stick with her. Freshman high school kinda sucks too, but you'll change schools and it'll be a million times better at the new one.

"Your freshman high school crush will turn out to be pretty sucky and so will your Homecoming date sophomore year (although not as badly, he'll just do the Worm a lot and blather on about how lucky he is, and mostly by that he means lucky to have you as a date while you're in a dress that's far skimpier than anything he's seen you in before), but the art kid you like in junior year is an awesome guy who, if you didn't take my advice about AP French, will make you feel not so bad without even knowing that he's doing it.

"Steampunk is awesome, so pretty much start learning to sew now, because by the time you're sixteen, it's socially acceptable to run around dressed as a Victorian mad scientist.

"You will end up with blue hair at some point. (From my timeline, that's the day after tomorrow.) Said blue hair will stem from your frustration at being stereotyped as childish or subject to the whims of devout parents because of your long hair, and you'll end up really wanting to cut it short and dye it a crazy color in silent protest. Also, your mom and best friend may or may not be even more excited than you are. Secretly, you're wondering how the heck people are going to recognize you, and if said lack of recognition isn't a good thing, but decide that this is too cynical a thought to entertain.

"You are ambitious. Not competitive, but ambitious, and you actually will think of a better career path than "English teacher." Until about junior year, high school, most of your classmates won't be. Also, you really like psychology, and by the time you're 16, you'll be studying it with the same fervor with which you attacked herbal medicine. This is partly because you're an INTP and a dominant Inquisitive type, but mainly just because you're a nerd.

"Nobody grows out of Neopets. It will draw you back multiple times until you find out that there's a bunch of college-age nerds who are pretty serious about it and are really awesome people. Then it kinda looks like you're there to stay. Don't tell anyone. It's still pretty dumb. Quizilla, on the other hand, is a pretty terrible site full of stories where a guy with a six-pack climbs into the heroine's attic-bedroom window at the start of Chapter Two, and for some reason she doesn't think this is weird at all. Similar to this is the book Twilight. Everyone will be obsessed with it, and pretty soon you'll basically know what happens in the book despite having never read it, because of the predictability factor.

"You also end up being a really good artist. Yes, even drawing hands. Yes, even though you don't practice a whole lot. I don't know why either. You're just good at it. You're also good at analyzing people through text and words, which isn't something you consciously learn, either, but it probably comes from how much you read. Combined with your mom, who reads body language really well because of events you don't know about and don't want to know about, you turn into a sort of weird, snarky Sherlock who can identify people like the off-for-the-summer teacher who's just gotten a new job and isn't comfortable in her new, professional-looking pencil skirt. (This lady will give you weird looks. It'll be really funny.)

"One more thing. Do me a favor and paint my room, would you? Like, muted green or peacock blue or something other than bubblegum pink, please? Thanks."

And my younger self would probably be all...

...wut? Can you, I don't know, write that down? Also, wait, blue hair? Really?

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
"University is a waste of life and money. Find another hobby, because games after 06 will suck saggy donkey balls! And care less about people, it's not worth it."

"Oh, and buy stocks in Google, trust me."

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Nothing. I wouldn't have listened anyways, and I would have found some way to rationalize the fact that I was obviously going crazy seeing my future self.

·
Registered
213 Posts
To fifth-grade me (I'm going to be a twelfth grader this school year.): So... you know wanted to be a gorgeous artist with a kitty cat, an amazing husband, and a beautiful mansion? On September 12th, 2009, you will get a cat! The mansion part probably isn't going to happen. That's okay, though. You will become less materialistic and won't even want a beautiful mansion. You DO end up moving to a bigger house and getting your own room (it's pink and really pretty). Materialistically, you will be very satisfied.

Younger me(I wasn't an INTP at the time, by the way.): Yay! :)

Me: OK, now here's the bad news. Will the husband part come true? Absolutely not. You're going to be an unattractive weirdo who is obsessed with math and science, especially chemistry. You will not fall in love and no one will fall in love with you. Also, you won't have friends, just acquaintances. Sorry.
Younger me: :sad: *cries*

Hmm, I guess it's a good thing that I can't talk to my younger self.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm not sure I would. If I did, it could spawn an existentialist crisis. Did I just destroy time? Am I now still the same person? :p

Basically, all of my mistakes - no matter how major or minor at the time - are even more minor now. And they have all given me invaluable experience about how to treat myself, how to treat others, and how to handle life. Still got a lot to learn though, and still need to make sure I'm always chugging onwards towards the future.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts