Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay first of all, sorry if I say anything wrong, I am a newbie here and I don't know a lot about MBTI. :tongue:

If I am an ENTP, my cognitive functions in order should be:

Dominant: Extraverted Intuition
Auxiliary: Introverted Thinking
Tertiary: Extraverted Feeling
Inferior: Introverted Sensing

But when I took the test, I got:

Extroverted Intuition (Ne) |||||||||||||||||||||||||| 12.31
Extroverted Thinking (Te) ||||||||||||||||||||||| 10.62
Introverted Intuition (Ni) ||||||||||||||||||||||| 10.58
Introverted Thinking (Ti) |||||||||||||||||||||| 10.34
Extroverted Sensation (Se) ||||||||| 3.57
Introverted Feeling (Fi) || -0.75
Extroverted Feeling (Fe) || -2.25
Introverted Sensation (Si) |||| -3.46

How come they are completely different. >_>

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Don't worry, you're still an ENTP, just one who's developed his shadow functions quite well.

Or, you could be an ENTJ in disguise: you never know.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh ok thank you :3

Now if I could just develop my non shadow functions ;)

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Basically, because it's throwing those other functions in there, functions that are so distanced from you that you can't really rate them accurately.

But....

See how the pattern still holds?

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Basically, because it's throwing those other functions in there, functions that are so distanced from you that you can't really rate them accurately.

But....

On the other hand, there's this:

Which would be ENTJ. I still think he's an ENTP, of course, but there's still a possibility he's mistyped.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts

Which would be ENTJ. I still think he's an ENTP, of course, but there's still a possibility he's mistyped.
Yeah, I totally saw that too. Still, that one is a weaker pattern since Ne is distinctly the highest. So yeah, maybe ENTJ, or something else, but from this result alone ENTP would be the most obvious conclusion, and with the others there's more to explain away (which is pretty much "why is Ne highest and Si lowest then?")

Reactions: Dark Romantic

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

But....

Oh damn! I didn't notice that. That is pretty cool.

That also is awesome, but all the tests (i have taken multiple MBTI tests multiple times) say I am an ENTP. But I still think I might be an ENTJ. I have numerous J and P qualities.

Reactions: electricky

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
That also is awesome, but all the tests (i have taken multiple MBTI tests multiple times) say I am an ENTP. But I still think I might be an ENTJ. I have numerous J and P qualities.
True, but the functions are what matter here (though, if your Te is really that strong, having stereotypically "J" patterns isn't a surprise!). There's another test for testing your functions out, though; I just can't seem to find it anywhere.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I know this isn't relevant to this thread in particular, but I feel the need to voice my skepticism about the focus on shadow functions in the tests and whatnot anyhow, because it's unreliability has been getting to me in more ways than one.

First off, if the shadow functions are used as a line of ego defense, then why are they really expected to become more integrated into the personality via experience? Wouldn't that sort of undermine their original purpose as a source of defense? If one becomes too comfortable with them, then wouldn't that mean that the defense mechanism of the ego is shutting off, which would make functioning in an ego-syntonic way impossible? Sure, complexes around them might change with time, but if they aren't constantly acting as ego dystonic to protect the ego from the ego dystonic, then that assumes that nothing is ego dystonic to a person, and their personality type might as well fall apart, which is an absurd idea (also, I think this would undermine the need to have a persona). No one can ever overcome the possibility of experiencing anything ego dystonic - on what premise is this even possible? I'm getting pretty tired of the overly politically correct views that we can be all of our functions (consciously), considering that we're obviously more than the sum of our functions (after all, if we were the sum of all of our functions, then wouldn't it be impossible to define them?). It turns this stuff into a religion, rather than respecting the individuality of people. So, believe it or not, Myers and Briggs are getting credit from me over Jungian purists for a change for keeping this stuff coherent with certain principles of psychology, whether or not they had this in mind (this is very ironic, since they didn't have a psychology background) - I'm starting to get really weary of the constant re-defining of terms to support the conscious/unconscious matters associated with function manifestation. That's all, I just had to vent here after seeing another cognitive functions test controversy for the upteenth time.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
True, but the functions are what matter here (though, if your Te is really that strong, having stereotypically "J" patterns isn't a surprise!). There's another test for testing your functions out, though; I just can't seem to find it anywhere.
Yea true.

Oh yeah, if you find the test can you show it to me :3

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Okay first of all, sorry if I say anything wrong, I am a newbie here and I don't know a lot about MBTI. :tongue:

If I am an ENTP, my cognitive functions in order should be:

Dominant: Extraverted Intuition
Auxiliary: Introverted Thinking
Tertiary: Extraverted Feeling
Inferior: Introverted Sensing

But when I took the test, I got:

Those tests are terrible. Practically everyone shows overly developed Ni. It's also not uncommon to see overly developed Fi or Te. The questions are poor

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Where can I take this test? I know I took it already, but God it's been too long since I've re-taken it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those tests are terrible. Practically everyone shows overly developed Ni. It's also not uncommon to see overly developed Fi or Te. The questions are poor
Its funny cause my Fi is in the Negative :3

1 - 13 of 13 Posts