Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imagine that in a hypothetical future scenario, they discover an exact physical "cause" for a sexual orientation. Let's say that they subsequently devise an advanced surgical procedure to change a person's orientation - a person could have a procedure done to change from being heterosexual to being a homosexual, or to being bisexual, to being asexual or pansexual (this doesn't cover them all, I know). Let's assume that this procedure is widely available to people, regardless of economic status.

How might this alter society's attitudes about sexual orientation, particularly about the moral status of sexual orientation?

I think this is a can of worms. Intended to be a very open-ended topic.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
It would be terrible, some narrow minded people might try and make it illegal to be gay and force the gay/lesbian community to get surgery. Big no no!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
ooh interesting topic.

I'd say if the option was there, it should be down to the individuals. I know a couple of homosexuals who would be open to such a 'treatment' (they themselves have expressed that if there was a pill they'd take it).

I do worry about the extra pressures imposed on people, particularly those who are content with being what they are. Just say someone say their perfect life partner and finally came to terms with being who they are, then their family starts pushing them to have treatment.

I could see it becoming a source of conflict within some religions, between those that would say "we are how god/allah/<insert name here> made us" and those that say homosexuality is a sin/abomination/whatever. I'd be interested to see how that panned out.

·
Registered
383 Posts
It would be terrible, some narrow minded people might try and make it illegal to be gay and force the gay/lesbian community to get surgery. Big no no!
Yes but don't forget this could also mean that straight people could get it as well, which might mean people would stop caring about sexual orientation.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Yes but don't forget this could also mean that straight people could get it as well, which might mean people would stop caring about sexual orientation.
I don't know if this is strange or not but this is the first idea I had when reading the topic but never considered the outlawing of gayness. I'm kind of torn on this kind of thing.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Lol same here that was the first thought I had as well, only after reading Oleas comment that I realized that people could take it that way, it just didn't occur to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.