Personality Cafe banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Society's doing a pretty good job making a mockery of itself with us around, without us around I don't know if there would be much difference. On the other hand, I don't really care. INTPs tend not to care about their role on society or leaving a legacy beyond their own existence, so it's a double dose of meh.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sometimes I wonder how much of the INTP population are depressed or anxious people who simply identified with the stereotypes of lacking social skills and feeling ineffectual.

Looking past the greater insignificance of our lives in general, if your goal is to have an impact on society, then you'll need to develop useful skills and learn how to market them. That requires a full integration of your personality and INxPs are at a slight disadvantage since the bulk of their productivity is internalized and their grounding and action-oriented functions are sequestered towards the end of the function stack.

Now to answer the question, yes, things would change. When ~4% of the world population collapses out of the blue, people are going to freak out and seek answers. If anything, a mass INTP extinction might result in more scientific funding which, as far a sacrifices go, isn't too bad a trade off.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Sometimes I wonder how much of the INTP population are depressed or anxious people who simply identified with the stereotypes of lacking social skills and feeling ineffectual.

Looking past the greater insignificance of our lives in general, if your goal is to have an impact on society, then you'll need to develop useful skills and learn how to market them. That requires a full integration of your personality and INxPs are at a slight disadvantage since the bulk of their productivity is internalized and their grounding and action-oriented functions are sequestered towards the end of the function stack.

Now to answer the question, yes, things would change. When ~4% of the world population collapses out of the blue, people are going to freak out and seek answers. If anything, a mass INTP extinction might result in more scientific funding which, as far a sacrifices go, isn't too bad a trade off.
I also wonder about this. Also I oftenly wonder on whether INTPs actually are socio- and psychopaths. In other words, if we're the part of society which people maybe think are the "insane" ones, just because we're breaking patterns(both social and non-social)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I also wonder about this. Also I oftenly wonder on whether INTPs actually are socio- and psychopaths. In other words, if we're the part of society which people maybe think are the "insane" ones, just because we're breaking patterns(both social and non-social)
Personality disorders are slightly harder to get into but there is that nifty "Dom-Tert" loop article that suggests that INTPs and ISFJs are prone to exhibit schizotypal-like psychosis when under extreme stress. I could also see avoidant and schizoid behaviors from those with extremely repressed Fe functions.

As far as antisocial personality traits go, the only thing that I see potentially matching up with a stereotypical INTP personality is the devaluing of others (and their customs) and reducing them into an equation or temporary objects of intrigue instead of seeing them as fully realized individuals. Think The Architect from the Matrix series and how fixated he became on human inefficiency to the point that he devised a system that realized their full potential but at the price of their autonomy.

Everyone (of reasonable health) and regardless of type possesses some antisocial traits though. INTPs (and similar types) probably just stand out for emphasizing the less socially acceptable ones but even then I don't think it's extreme enough for most to be diagnosis worthy.

Reactions: Sava Saevus

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
Well, if thousands of INTPs existences were woven out of history to never existed at all while the effects of what they did remained... I would say that societies would probably crumble slowly (albeit faster than now).

I mean, if all INTPs were gone, our closest types left would be ENTP / INFP. And we all know the nightmare world that would be for the ENTPS.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
If there were no more Ti - Ne centric people anymore.... it probably wouldn't make much of a difference, you still have ENTP and ISTP. The one thing that would probably be sorely lacking is the person who can take a step back from all of the chaos and have an unbiased perspective of the goings-ons. Although ISTP could do this, if they developed their communication skills effectively and were enlightened enough to go beyond the moment to contribute to their thinking. Also certain grand visions couldn't have happened without INTPs. General relativity, the computer as envisaged by Turing and Babbage, Abraham Lincoln frenetically holding on to the importance of the U.S. not splitting into two countries, no unified conception of geometry....

Could ISTPs create a unified conception of geometry? It's hard to imagine a context where they would care to, but yes. It would probably resemble martial arts but with math. Never quite written down conceptually, but it's all contained in the mastery and practice. ENTPs could easily do all of these things at least on the outset, but they would care little in furthering it beyond it just bein a really neato idea that may help in their seeing more clearly another neato idea. The significance of it "in and of itself" will get lost. It may take an INFJ to black hole their ideas into something more or less unified. But still without a Ti dominated understanding of the full implications. INTJ's could probably fill in the hole of what could have been contributed by INTP, only it would be more pragmatic and nonsensical than profound. For instance conservation of energy is much more profound than Newton's laws of motion that just happen to work within these conservation of energy parameters.

And then you could always have INFP and ENFP doing everything an INTP does, but probably wouldn't be enticed into doing it until enough ridiculous acts of evil gave them no choice but to shove reality back into their faces. And it would be imbued with social harmony on some level. Which may be better actually.

I could mention the rest, but I think I arrived at what I'm trying to get at. A lot of things would be severely stunted, at least for a time.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Personality disorders are slightly harder to get into but there is that nifty "Dom-Tert" loop article that suggests that INTPs and ISFJs are prone to exhibit schizotypal-like psychosis when under extreme stress. I could also see avoidant and schizoid behaviors from those with extremely repressed Fe functions.

As far as antisocial personality traits go, the only thing that I see potentially matching up with a stereotypical INTP personality is the devaluing of others (and their customs) and reducing them into an equation or temporary objects of intrigue instead of seeing them as fully realized individuals. Think The Architect from the Matrix series and how fixated he became on human inefficiency to the point that he devised a system that realized their full potential but at the price of their autonomy.

Everyone (of reasonable health) and regardless of type possesses some antisocial traits though. INTPs (and similar types) probably just stand out for emphasizing the less socially acceptable ones but even then I don't think it's extreme enough for most to be diagnosis worthy.
Funny you bring that up. The other day I was with a group of people who were talking about these disorders and how disconnected people can get. I decided to ignore my better judgement and make the point that in reality, these types of people are only a couple of steps removed from regular people. We (most of society) tend to think of them as otherworldly monsters, but I could see how some extreme life circumstances and maybe a tad neurochemical imbalance could lead me to become some sort of sociopath. Granted, that's not the case. But I don't think those people are really as different as some people imagine.

Needless to say the reaction of the group was about what you might imagine.

In support of my point, it reminds me of the death camps in germany. The people running them were ordinary people. Only a couple of small steps were needed in order for ordinary people to commit extraordinarily heinous crimes.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Funny you bring that up. The other day I was with a group of people who were talking about these disorders and how disconnected people can get. I decided to ignore my better judgement and make the point that in reality, these types of people are only a couple of steps removed from regular people. We (most of society) tend to think of them as otherworldly monsters, but I could see how some extreme life circumstances and maybe a tad neurochemical imbalance could lead me to become some sort of sociopath. Granted, that's not the case. But I don't think those people are really as different as some people imagine.

Needless to say the reaction of the group was about what you might imagine.

In support of my point, it reminds me of the death camps in germany. The people running them were ordinary people. Only a couple of small steps were needed in order for ordinary people to commit extraordinarily heinous crimes.
I always find that so disappointing but I also understand that it's partially a defense mechanism. Whenever you try to bring up anything that remotely suggests that humanity is not mutually exclusive from monstrosity, you're right, people do freak out because it forces them to confront a grey they may not want to acknowledge. To imagine that "evil" could be lurking so close to even be within one's own heart, an adaptive part of one's own psyche, is understandably terrifying for some.

Someone who would use another for enjoyment or to strengthen their own position at some cost to their victim, someone who would lie about their true nature to make themselves more palatable to those whose favor they seek, someone who would enact revenge of any proportion for perceived slights against their person, someone who takes pleasure in watching misfortune befall those with or without fortune in excess, or someone who deliberately minimizes and ignores the suffering of others so that they can sleep comfortably at night are all traits of antisocial behavior that everyone engages in now and then. Avoiding them in their entirety is impossible if one wishes to function in society anyway.

·
Registered
406 Posts
If all INTPs left the planet it would involve ascending to a higher plane of existence or leaving before the planet's imminent destruction like the dolphins in hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. All the other types would die in ignorance despite our warnings. So long and thanks for all the fish!

Reactions: Sava Saevus

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
It would basically do this:

T-shirt Clothing Font Text Sleeve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.