Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let us be honest with each other - most of us have moved past the stage of retaining information, dates, specific lists of facts, diverse theories - in our heads.

Why?

The ease and simplicity of storing the information in the Grand Intellect of the Connected Human Experience [Internet] has made us lazy. Why remember something when the answer can be had in a few short moments?

I know countless papers have been written on this subject. I know that it has been observed. But what are you going to DO about it?

Will the act of remembering be relegated to the dustbin, an antiquated human ability?

How will we solve this problem? Or is it not a problem?

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I guess I would be addicted to libraries rather than the internet if this were to happen. :tongue:
At least in between your library visits you'd try to remember stuff, right? So you would know the answer in the middle of the night and on government holidays? Yes? Yes? lol.

·
Registered
NiTe 549
5,321 Posts
It doesn't necessarily imply that computers would disappear, or all the data stored in them, or that the electricity would go out so these things can't be operated, and so forth.

I have a warehouse of information and thinking, practical and theoretical, in my computer storage. I also have access to libraries, and am well-versed in using books to find information.

Now, if computers utterly disappeared, along with libraries, and any other external repository of knowledge, I would be understanding based in a collection of general ideas and principles I've gathered over the years, and a capability to continue expanding in these capacities using whatever resources are at hand. I do have specific facts in my head, but they come in and out of consciousness as I call on them (usually situationally).

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
At least in between your library visits you'd try to remember stuff, right? So you would know the answer in the middle of the night and on government holidays? Yes? Yes? lol.
Maybe. IDK. XD

I think it depends on how we use the internet. Sure, it could instill laziness, but you also have all the world's knowledge at your fingertips. It could be used as a significant learning tool. The internet also contains more information than any human would actually learn in a single lifetime anyway. But laziness is laziness. :tongue:

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe. IDK. XD

I think it depends on how we use the internet. Sure, it could instill laziness, but you also have all the world's knowledge at your fingertips. It could be used as a significant learning tool. The internet also contains more information than any human would actually learn in a single lifetime anyway. But laziness is laziness. :tongue:
Hmmm, but there you underestimate the power of our innate intellect. Humans of yore were practically encyclopedias in their own right.

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
Hmmm, but there you underestimate the power of our innate intellect. Humans of yore were practically encyclopedias in their own right.
I said would not could. While humans were probably more generalist in the past, I'm not so sure that their brains had as much information inside them as the internet. How could you quantify what a human brain holds anyway? I've seen somewhere that human memory is estimated to be a certain size in terms of terabytes or something, but I'm not sure if brains can be compared to computers. I've also seen claims that human memory is nearly infinite. Again, how could one know for sure?

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I said would not could. While humans were probably more generalist in the past, I'm not so sure that their brains had as much information inside them as the internet. How could you quantify what a human brain holds anyway? I've seen somewhere that human memory is estimated to be a certain size in terms of terabytes or something, but I'm not sure if brains can be compared to computers. I've also seen claims that human memory is nearly infinite. Again, how could one know for sure?
Ah I am sorry, I thought I read something different.

I don't know the true potential of human memory; but I am certain that our generation is severely handicapping themselves. That is what I believe. Fewer epiphanies can be had when sitting in bed staring at the ceiling or going out for a walk, simply because we are disconnected from the internet, and do not have anything stored away.

It is like the Ant and the Grasshopper, and we are moving toward a Grasshopper style of learning and living, as opposed to our ancestors who lived as Ants.

Reactions: Angelic Gardevoir

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Let us be honest with each other - most of us have moved past the stage of retaining information, dates, specific lists of facts, diverse theories - in our heads.
This is in part true with me as I don't even bother to learn how to spell words. Instead if I don't know how to spell something I type it into google and let it figure it out.

But on the other hand the internet has become a very useful tool for me to research and learn about information, facts diverse theories and so on and I do indeed retain whatever I learn within my head.

Without google though I would know much less information.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Humans adapt.

Take away one thing, they'll replace it with another.

Take away a man's sight, and he develops his hearing and other senses. That sort of thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts