Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you able to quickly respond with an answer or do you have to think about it? I think Ni users have a easier time answering this question compared to Ne users. I believe that Ni is more precise in its ability to pin point exact thoughts and ideas. As dominate Ni users, I would like your input if this is the case. If not, how do your cognitive functions respond to said question? This information would be helpful in distinguishing Ni/Ne user patterns.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Not able to quickly respond.

I was going to answer, "I wonder if birds are burdened by their lack of arms" because I've been thinking about that for a couple of days now and it seems like an interesting thought to share. But not sure if the Cake song I have stuck in my head would trump that. On a practical level I'm thinking of your question, so I'm thinking of you now. And now I'm kind of wondering what your thoughts are on the bird/arm thing and if you know why birds don't get sunburned. That might be a good question for a thinker. Back to the cake song: .... "with a short skirt and a looooong..... loooooong jacket... na na na na nah na na na na nah nah." I can always google it. The phone is blinking. At one point I need to listen to all of the voicemails on my mobile but I'm kind of enjoying the fact that it's so full nobody can leave new ones. Now I'm wondering if that attitude toward people trying to contact me is the right one to have... or if shaving a bird to see if it's possible to get a sunburn is immoral... or if birds can feel cell phones connecting to towers. Now I'm thinking about you again. Now I'm wondering what my SO ate for lunch, because I'm feeling like tacos for dinner but if he's had that for lunch I'll have to come up with something else. Did I take the chicken out? I wonder if you could put synthetic AI arms on a chicken - how a chicken would use them. You probably don't care about all of this but it's fun sharing my thoughts w/you :) Cake song:"... who uses a machete to cut through red tape..." (... etc.)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Haha, I was just about to respond to this thread in the INTP subforum.
Most of the time, when someone asks me what I'm thinking about right now, I either say 'nothing' or just kind of smile and let out some noise like 'eeuhhh...' and ask them how much time they have (if I really feel like explaining).

I might agree with your assertion that Ni is more precise. There is a reason for why certain ideas are linked together. Just because I'm searching for a more cohesive whole, however, doesn't mean I can just regurgitate my thoughts. Oftentimes, I find myself thinking about specific topics but I would need closer to a few hours to explain my train of thought since there isn't necesserily a linear progression. Also, if I haven't verbally tried to express this kind of idea before it will most likely come out in a very convoluted way.

So, for example, if someone asked me what I was thinking about, and I was thinking about why I treat humanity with respect... I could just say that. If you're asking for the why or if you want to hear some ramblings... stay tuned, this channel will be on for a while.

·
Banned
188 Posts
I usually have specific thoughts on my mind because I am always thinking and analyzing things. I have learned to determine if the person wants the short answer of "Oh, nothing much," or if they really are interested. I find most people do not want to truly know; it is just something to say to quell the low in a conversation. If they are truly interested, look out, because I tend to get detailed. My family complains that I can not just answer a simple "yes" or "no". Since they are always admonishing me, I have learned to evaluate if the person wants to truly know. I think that I have some amazing ideas when it comes to finding a solution to a problem. I am an idea person,and I am very creative. I can answer the question "What's on your mind?" very quickly.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
Well, there was a thought. . . but I am thinking about Blissfulpeach's response. I have two or three things standing by. Usually, I am observing and filling my cluttered mind. I am thinking how glad I am that I dug up half the front yard and laid a new water line rather than pay a plumber $300. I am wondering if anybody else uses a hairpin splice in PVC pipe. Probably not. . .

·
Registered
944 Posts
I can't explain my thoughts coherently, although I know what I'm thinking about. I use many mediums to think, such as pictures, memories, visuals, words, so summarizing all of that is a bit of a task if I'm asked to explain my thoughts. However, if you give me time, I may be able to summarize my thoughts properly on paper. I've noticed most people don't seem to understand what I'm thinking about if I try to explain it to them orally. I see things in a 3 dimensional way. I see/think too many things at once... although in a linear fashion as my thoughts jumps from A to B to C, though it's more like A to Z, haha.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Are you able to quickly respond with an answer or do you have to think about it? I think Ni users have a easier time answering this question compared to Ne users. I believe that Ni is more precise in its ability to pin point exact thoughts and ideas. As dominate Ni users, I would like your input if this is the case. If not, how do your cognitive functions respond to said question? This information would be helpful in distinguishing Ni/Ne user patterns.
Lol, absolutely not. My first answer is always "I don't know..." My thoughts when I'm very quiet, where someone would want to ask that question, are almost entirely in images and symbols, so I have no idea how to respond because the thoughts weren't in English...or any language. So, I need a second to translate. Either that, or I'm thinking very furiously about something, and if you interrupt me with that question, my thoughts completely vanish. I can tell you what I was thinking about, once I scramble to recover the pieces that remain.

It takes me a moment to think about what I was thinking about. Which sounds utterly ridiculous, but that's what I have to do. That said, I have the ability to pin point the genesis of an idea. I can usually trace a thought back to its root components and discover the path that led me to that thought in the first place. Or follow where I was going with a series of thoughts.

·
Registered
10,452 Posts
Why do people always ask me this question when I'm thinking about something terribly inappropriate? Well regardless, my initial reaction is to not reveal what I am thinking about at all because if I wanted to share it with you, believe me, I would have shared it already. However, I can't just respond with "nothing" because it's very obvious that I was thinking something because I get this stupid look on my face. So instead, I usually opt for coming up with something that had been on my mind that day (not now) that I wouldn't mind talking about now. I'm not going to bother telling you I'm daydreaming and what about. That's private and pointless.

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
Other than if I'm talking with people in my circle, I usually just give the obligatory small talk answer of "oh, you know, nothing in particular" and leave it at that. It's the same as if some random person asks about my day. "Good" is my response. :tongue:

People in my circle get to know my thoughts because they generally care to. Rarely does anyone else though. And since contributing more would only further encourage more small talk, I don't really see the point.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I pin down the current thought I have, and quickly assess whether it is appropriate to mention and proceed to answer.

So I guess it's reasonably fast and simple an answer.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I'm thinking of how much I freaking love to debate. It's only growing and only people relatively similar to my type tend to be able to deal with it. I used to be horrid at developing a pinpointed thought when asked what I'm thinking. It's much easier now. I think it had to do with an inaccurate cognitive typing I made of myself (ISFP). Now certain expectations aren't holding me back. However, although it is easier I won't say it is generally a simple thing to conjure all the time.

INFJs may need more room to arrange their thoughts than an Ne-dominant type would. Don't ask me about INTJs. I think they always just know what they prefer and go with that. Ne is very flexible. It wouldn't take long for them to speak up, but pinpointing might not be their strong suit. Ne-doms are quite open to interpretation. I think they prefer being in-range of their ideas in this case. An Ni-dom prefers to let the question sink in so they don't mislead through their words or actions. Precision is definitely a word to describe it. I want to solidify my thoughts and intents beyond reasonable doubt.

Overall, the way in which one returns a response depends on how they use their cognitive functions. If they're functioning appropriately. If their functions are exercised often. It'd be difficult to do much anything satisfactorily without training.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Assuming I haven't been zoning out for a while, I could respond quickly... But I probably wouldn't. There are very few people that I feel comfortable revealing my thoughts to, and even then, it depends on what I'm thinking and whether I'm prepared to share that with anyone at that time. If I do answer the question, it will likely not be a completely straightforward answer... But it will probably be honest nonetheless. I hope that makes sense...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Other than if I'm talking with people in my circle, I usually just give the obligatory small talk answer of "oh, you know, nothing in particular" and leave it at that. It's the same as if some random person asks about my day. "Good" is my response. :tongue:

People in my circle get to know my thoughts because they generally care to. Rarely does anyone else though. And since contributing more would only further encourage more small talk, I don't really see the point.
Ugh, small talk is the bane of my existence! D:

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I have a pat answer for this question, and am able to offer it up immediately upon being asked, if I am not in an Ni trance that is: "Nothing." I use this response in lieu of the truth for any of a number of reasons, all of which have been touched upon in earlier posts; I do not want to explain it, I cannot easily explain it, I was thinking of something inappropriate, I wasn't really thinking of anything coherent, you broke my train of thought and I cannot recall, etc.

I know that when I ask this question, I never actually want to know what the other person is thinking. It always stems from a disturbance in the Fe. I am either filling in an (in my mind) awkward silence, or I have the feeling that the other person is upset, and that perhaps I am the cause. I generally assume that if someone wishes to tell me what they are thinking, they will do so with no prompting from me. It is a rather vague and inane question, to be honest. I can see something more specific, something along the lines of "what do you think about such-and-such?"

If someone is so thick as to not take a hint from the obviously evasive "nothing," I will make up something terse, believable, concrete and enormously dull, something about which there is no possibility of extrapolation or embellishment. I mean, if I have been staring out the window for the last ten minutes in an Ni trance, clearly I was not thinking about nothing.

It is a bit like the question, "how was your day?" Small talk, filler. If I did not excitedly rattle of a list of incredibly interesting happenings within the first few minutes of seeing you, then more than likely nothing worth mentioning occurred during the course of my day. If it was indeed dull and uneventful (as most days are), it is bad enough that I had to go through it once. I hardly want to relive it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts