Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - my name is Kate and I have consistently proved impossible to type. But I must be hiding in there somewhere, right? If anyone can find me I will ... umm, well, be forever in your debt or else I'm sure I can find SOME way of saying thank you! Will provide honest and complete answers to questions to all who would like to take up on this challenge. Thanks!

·
Mr. CafeBot
13,103 Posts
Welcome to PersonalityCafe!

*You are hearing a robotic sounding voice coming towards you*

Greetings Kate7 and welcome to PersonalityCafe!! My name is Mr. CafeBot. I am here to personally greet you and thank you for joining our humble little forum. No matter your type, you will surely experience a wonderful time with the members of this forum. We cater to all personality types so you will never feel alone or weird. Truth is this forum is full of weirdos!! Pleazeee hel.... *Ahem*I mean we have the nicest people you will ever meet. :)

If you need basic forum information our newbie guide link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/intro/2319-friendly-guide-newbies.html

To keep the forum entertaining and safe, our forum rules link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/announcements/540-personality-cafe-forum-rules.html

We have a facebook style chat that you can enable throughout the site... Just read on how to enable it here...
http://personalitycafe.com/support-suggestions/13046-personality-cafe-facebook-style-chat.html

If you need any help or have any suggestions, please let us know here...
http://personalitycafe.com/support-suggestions/

We will always be glad to help you!

Also don't forget to watch my music video...

Again, welcome to our forum Kate7. We hope that your experience with us is tremendously benevolent!

P.S.

Please tip me 1 gold. I need to buy more coffee! @[email protected]

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

If you were going to be sent away to a camp where all your basic human necessities would be taken care of and could only take five items to pass the time with, which items would you take with you?

Reactions: Scruffy

·
Registered
435 Posts
Welcome! I would suggest looking more into the cognitive functions, because that is the source of typing regardless of individual personality traits! I just googled the type(s) people guessed me to be, and then figured it out that way by reading various descriptions and learning more about the associated cognitive processes. I'm kind of a border-type myself.
Best of luck!:happy:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A computer with internet access and Word would be plenty. But if I had to pick five, I'd choose a good long information book either the history of the world and/or the history of philosophy or politics or something meaty like that. Really that's all I'd need to pass the time, presuming I could get up and go for a walk and think, get some fresh air every once in a while. If I HAVE to choose another four things they would be two other books but light relief ones - one would be a mystery - so i could have the satisfaction of seeing something completely solved. The other one would be a really good people story where there are trials to overcome and lots of amazing locations in the mountains etc ... oh and a really great ending. The last thing would probably be, god i'm so dull, a notebook so I can write down all the thoughts I have while away and reading lots.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great Jojo!! read my reply to the other 'pervy mood' guy and see if that helps. Any more questions gladly answered, thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
ISTP!

Haha, I don't know. You just sound a lot like a friend I have who is that type.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gosh thanks Skitzabeth (cool name!) Istp is one type I have NEVER come up as, interestingly. Will consider it, though is doubtful I think as they are apparently good with mechanics, technical stuff, and I am not. One thing I think with all this is that it is hard being a GIRL and typing yourself as I don't think sex differences - including the vastly differing experiences of life that males and females have - are taken into account much. Typically, all the T's are described with a male outlook, interests and social style, and all the F's with the female ditto. What do others of you think about this? (Not to detract from the really ESSENTIAL problem of helping me find my type of course ... !)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks JJMTBC. Have scoured the cognitive processes many times. Still can't figure it. I can't seem to observe myself effectively enough to decifer between what I do naturally, and what is learnt! I see bits of everything in myself adn some of the explanations I just don't understand at all (like Ni and Si). I suppose mostly I like figuring things out .. is that Ti or Te?? But then I also like to be nice to people, which is Fe, and can be quite sensitive to criticism, which I think is Fi!! See how hard it is. Ridiculous, i know.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Gosh thanks Skitzabeth (cool name!) Istp is one type I have NEVER come up as, interestingly. Will consider it, though is doubtful I think as they are apparently good with mechanics, technical stuff, and I am not. One thing I think with all this is that it is hard being a GIRL and typing yourself as I don't think sex differences - including the vastly differing experiences of life that males and females have - are taken into account much. Typically, all the T's are described with a male outlook, interests and social style, and all the F's with the female ditto. What do others of you think about this? (Not to detract from the really ESSENTIAL problem of helping me find my type of course ... !)

I definitely think it's harder to type yourself when you're a female, especially if you're not an F. I am definitely an INTP. But it took me a while to come to the conclusion that I was a T. I think too many people try to turn the types into little boxes that you have to fit in. Like, "Oh, you HAVE emotions? You MUST not be a T!" That annoys me.

Also, the reason I said ISTP is just because, 1) You don't seem to be put off by the idea of being on an island by yourself with just books, 2) You talked about reading history and philosophy and needing to write down all of your thoughts, 3) You didn't really seem to give much thought to basic material necessities. But, actually. I'm changing my guess to INTP or INFP. I take back the S thing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I can't seem to observe myself effectively enough to decifer between what I do naturally, and what is learnt! I see bits of everything in myself and some of the explanations I just don't understand at all (like Ni and Si). I suppose mostly I like figuring things out .. is that Ti or Te?? But then I also like to be nice to people, which is Fe, and can be quite sensitive to criticism, which I think is Fi!! See how hard it is. Ridiculous, i know.
Yeah, that seems very INTP/INFP to me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks! That's really helpful. Why so sure I'm an I??? Are all people who like books and their own thoughts necessarily introverts? I am excited that you are intp as I have wondered whether I am many times ... it fits me so well in many ways except that I am people oriented - they are what I am interested in both as individuals and society. i have wondered if this is where my female orientation comes in? What do you think? Also, I have wondered about the p thing as i like things to be settled in my outer world - settled, organised, simplified - so I can concentrate on my projects (writing, researching etc ... inner world stuff) but that makes me come across and act quite j ish with people and stuff. Confusing. intj's just seem so much more cold, and agressive, than I am though?? As for infp, well they are so soft and sweet, I am sweet but not as soft as all that really. And infj's are REALLY hard to know, shy. I am more confident. What say you? (I appreciate all this attention by the way - thanks!!)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Well if you don't know what you are then that means you're probably not a Rational. And there's no WAY you're an NTJ.

Fact: You know you're an NT, when you know your an NT.

This problem you have makes it obvious that four of the sixteen types are NOT you. It would seem that most NFs would know what they were too, so it is unlikely you are that as well. But most people interested in typology are NFs and NTs which automatically makes you less likely to be an SJ or SP.

Even so you're more likely one of the the sensory types. I've come to find that most people that have trouble identifying themselves are SJs and SPs.

Hope that narrows it down for you.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my you are aggressive today :happy: Thanks though, interesting thoughts, not sure where you get them from though? I know many nf's who struggle with who they are. You only have to take a look at this site for proof of that. Anybody else feel like commenting here? What do you think of Garet's comments? I would have said almost the opposite. Most SJ's and SP's have no problem identifying themselves and are easily satisfied with the result to boot. More information needed here please Garet - why are NT's always utterly sure of who they are? And have you considered the FEMALE aspect here? I've commented on that elsewhere in this discussion - find, read, tell me what you think.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks! That's really helpful. Why so sure I'm an I??? Are all people who like books and their own thoughts necessarily introverts? I am excited that you are intp as I have wondered whether I am many times ... it fits me so well in many ways except that I am people oriented - they are what I am interested in both as individuals and society. i have wondered if this is where my female orientation comes in? What do you think? Also, I have wondered about the p thing as i like things to be settled in my outer world - settled, organised, simplified - so I can concentrate on my projects (writing, researching etc ... inner world stuff) but that makes me come across and act quite j ish with people and stuff. Confusing. intj's just seem so much more cold, and agressive, than I am though?? As for infp, well they are so soft and sweet, I am sweet but not as soft as all that really. And infj's are REALLY hard to know, shy. I am more confident. What say you? (I appreciate all this attention by the way - thanks!!)
The main thing that helped me determine whether or not I was an Introvert was when someone finally phrased the question in such a way that said "Are you energized or drained by being around a large group of strangers?" It's not that Introverts are anti-social, really. I enjoy being around my friends. But I tend to have a close group of few friends, and after being around large groups of people, I have to go home and recharge. But I am still interested in people. I'm not sure, I think it is true that Females tend to have an instinctual nurturing nature, so maybe that can account for your sweet and people-oriented ways. :wink:

As for the P thing, I will quote my roommate (she's an INFP): "What does P stand for again? Procrastinator?"
Haha, I still love the fact that she said that. I'm a P, and I like things to be organized, too, but often organization gets thrown to the wind when I find something more important to do. It is possible that you are a J. I just guessed P because the way you described the desert island scenario seemed very laid-back and... just P-ish. Also the fact that you seem very indecisive about your type makes me want to say you are a P. But of course, I shouldn't expect to be able to guess your type by reading a few paragraphs.

I'm still in the INTP/INFP court. INFJ seems like a good fit, too, though. I know a few INFJ's, they are my favorites.

Well if you don't know what you are then that means you're probably not a Rational. And there's no WAY you're an NTJ.

Fact: You know you're an NT, when you know your an NT.

This problem you have makes it obvious that four of the sixteen types are NOT you. It would seem that most NFs would know what they were too, so it is unlikely you are that as well. But most people interested in typology are NFs and NTs which automatically makes you less likely to be an SJ or SP.

Even so you're more likely one of the the sensory types. I've come to find that most people that have trouble identifying themselves are SJs and SPs.

Hope that narrows it down for you.
I disagree. I'm an INTP and it took me a while to get to that conclusion, if only because I have the need to completely analyze every possibility before I make a decision. I think the most obvious thing is that she is NOT an S, because in my experience, and S would never spend so much time and/or energy trying to figure out what typ they were. Just my two cents, though. :happy:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Skitzabeth, this is really helpful.. I am not so much drained by being around a large group of strangers, but I don't tend to choose or initiate a great deal of social interaction. I would be more drained by being forced to concentrate on people's physical needs for any length of time, am also seriously drained by interruptions.

I am leaning towards the infj at the moment as I am not really a procrastinator. I hate work but I tend to get it out of the way, then I can relax. Please would you just describe your infj friends briefly to me as the ones i know don't seem much like me ... how do they come across?

·
Registered
81 Posts
...am also seriously drained by interruptions. ... I hate work but I tend to get it out of the way, then I can relax.
Yes, those are definite J traits, I think... INFJ is believable to me.

My INFJ friends are lovely people. :happy:

I don't know how much of this is just them, and how much of this is their INFJ-ness, but...

They are both girls. I really enjoy them because they are very good at listening to me ramble on and on as I try to sort out my thoughts, and they can really get in and try to help me understand my problems, and they really seem to care about me. They are kind of quiet. They dress very simply and neatly, but always look very put together. Same with makeup, not a lot of it, but just a simple, clean look that says that they care about their appearance, but they don't overdo it. They are very organized. They are very dependable. They are both really creative. Come to think of it, they both seem to enjoy the same kinds of music, but that probably doesn't have a lot to do with being INFJ. They are very intelligent and do very well in school/work. I basically am very envious of them. They are both just such nice, genuine, intelligent, creative people. They always make me feel loved and appreciated and important. I love them. :happy:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh shit. I was so hoping this would be it. This always happens you see, which is why, as I said, you have to be a GENIUS to type me. Sorry, I am sure you are going to get bored soon. The thing is I am not at all infj ish. I am not 'kind of quiet' and certainly not neat. I dress simply but scruffy more. I'm not sure I look 'put together', more like slightly coming apart. Also, I find I am more often the one rambling on trying to sort out my own thoughts than the one patiently listening. Skitzabeth, you described your infj friends just right - they are just like the infj's I know too. Just not like me.

The thing is, I like people and have fun with people on an aquaintance level but don't seem to fit the social mould in a daily, general sense. I don't need people interaction to be energised, though I do get energised and stimulated by discussions on interesting subjects, getting to the bottom of things - also scientific discoveries, possibilities, figuring things out. I love to have revelations, put things together, you know??! But I am sensitive to people too. I avoid personal confrontations, prefer to keep things on the intellectual level I guess. Though people often don't think of me as intellectual, I can even come across as ditsy, air head. I am absent minded and even slightly awkward/nervous whilst at the same time being engaged and interested. Am I confusing you all? I am certainly confusing me ...

1 - 20 of 173 Posts