Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed this stereotype being mentioned quite a bit in some form. The notion that Ni types are certain and always come to conclusions, and Ne types are perpetually uncertain, theorizing but often not coming to any conclusion. I want to know what the root of this is, where it comes from. Why does Ni have the tendency to reach certainty, and why does Ne tend to be uncertain?

I expect it won't always play out this way in reality, where many different factors come together. Surface behavior never has only one origin. The point is that if we understand why the functions tend to manifest this way, then we should be in a better position to recognize them when they don't appear in their usual form.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I'm often uncertain, but that is because I weigh all the pros and cons before making a leap. This leads me to take my sweet time when it comes to making decisions.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I've noticed this stereotype being mentioned quite a bit in some form. The notion that Ni types are certain and always come to conclusions, and Ne types are perpetually uncertain, theorizing but often not coming to any conclusion. I want to know what the root of this is, where it comes from. Why does Ni have the tendency to reach certainty, and why does Ne tend to be uncertain?

I expect it won't always play out this way in reality, where many different factors come together. Surface behavior never has only one origin. The point is that if we understand why the functions tend to manifest this way, then we should be in a better position to recognize them when they don't appear in their usual form.
Consider that anything perceived by Si will obtain a highly subjective meaning; the object is being abstracted - it is transformed into something far from what it once was, because that is how the wielder sees it. Once it has reached this state, its real existence is gone as far as the individual's mind is concerned. It is driven to remove itself from the physical world.

Ni will not abstract the physical object; because it remains objective with Se. Ni sees the information from Se and forms an answer based from it. It remains in the physical world.

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
I think finishing projects has to do with Te as well. So an Ne-user with weaker Te (say INFP or ENFP) will find lots of possibilities but less drive to finish their goals, creating the indecisiveness. INPs can have trouble with settling on which possibility to go for.

INJs can be indecisive at times as well, but for us it's because of different reasons. Being Ni-doms we strive for perfection, and often won't settle for anything less, making us remain stuck in the world of ideas.

·
Registered
ENTP
3,276 Posts
From how I see it, Ne being an an extroverted function, has the ability to see possibilities in the outside world, and possibilities of those possibilities, while Ni which can see possibilities within. You could say that by definition Ne is more 'open' since it simply has a wider scope, gets its material from outside; while Ni depends on the inside, therefore can manage its ideas more easily.

Just some thoughts, I don't know whether I agree with the stereotype or not.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think finishing projects has to do with Te as well. So an Ne-user with weaker Te (say INFP or ENFP) will find lots of possibilities but less drive to finish their goals, creating the indecisiveness. INPs can have trouble with settling on which possibility to go for.

INJs can be indecisive at times as well, but for us it's because of different reasons. Being Ni-doms we strive for perfection, and often won't settle for anything less, making us remain stuck in the world of ideas.
If I'm understanding you correctly, it should be something like this:

Ne: May get stuck in uncertainty/indecisiveness when they see so many possibilities that they aren't sure which one to choose. Narrowing down options isn't their natural tendency so much as expanding options.

Ni: May get stuck in uncertainty/indecisiveness when they are unsatisfied with the current possibilities. The answer should feel right but nothing does. May get so stubbornly absorbed in one idea that they never move on, as expanding isn't their natural tendency.

But I think in the case of being unsatisfied with the possibilities, Ne and Ni may both look the same. Both may be stubbornly going in circles, trying to find something that fits. Ni types will be expanding options and looking for alternatives, much like Ne, because they can't find a satisfying answer. Ne can be stubbornly absorbed in one idea if it's important or interesting to them.

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
Ni types will be expanding options and looking for alternatives, much like Ne, because they can't find a satisfying answer. Ne can be stubbornly absorbed in one idea if it's important or interesting to them.
Maybe this is why we get stuck, because we're forced to traverse unfamiliar ground where our natural abilities don't shine.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe this is why we get stuck, because we're forced to traverse unfamiliar ground where our natural abilities don't shine.
I was thinking more along the lines of being immersed in a mental problem-solving situation, but unable to decide because none of the available possibilities are satisfying or adequate. In their element yet still stuck.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
This is right. Captures the difference in Ne+ (xNTP) and Ne- (xNFP).

I always know what I should do, but doing it and separating it from the abstraction in my mind is another beast entirely.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hahaha. Omfg. I am really indecisive and I see things as really open ended. More possibilities flow out and I get really fascinated or addicted to something very quick, but the drive decreases pretty fast also. This also explains why I am pretty indecisive about my own jungian type. My Te is not very good, but that is part of what I am working on :kitteh: (and what I would think would be the most growth).

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Hahaha. Omfg. I am really indecisive and I see things as really open ended. More possibilities flow out and I get really fascinated or addicted to something very quick, but the drive decreases pretty fast also. This also explains why I am pretty indecisive about my own jungian type. My Te is not very good, but that is part of what I am working on :kitteh: (and what I would think would be the most growth).
Uhuh. Tell us more.

·
Registered
852 Posts

Hmmm. I think that this is a pattern found in many Ne users but it isn't something which automatically makes you an Ne user. :) my friend is an INFJ but she can be quite Indecisive. We once had to phone a friend to make them decide what Ive cream flavour we would eat.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
You're also an enneagram 6 or 9.

The only thing fair to say in my experience, and which I can personally vouch for, is that Pe types, in particular Pe-doms, have trouble deciding what they want to do a month from now. That's perfectly true in my case, because I make decisions on ideas I get in the moment, and how am I to say what state I'll be in a month from now? I like doing things spur of the moment.

Many descriptions use language like, "Ne explores every possibility" and "Ni sees the one unifying idea that underpins everything" making it sound as if Ne can't stop brainstorming and Ni actually gets somewhere. Unfortunately, Perception functions are just that--perception. It's generally the judging function that organizes the information and decides what to do with it. So it's possible for an Ne-dom to reach rather quick conclusions about things.

For me personally, Ne is there to help me navigate the world. I see possibilities, and luckily I have Ti to help me filter that and understand my circumstances. I don't sit around all day raising endless possibilities and never getting anywhere...I tend to see something new, think it would be great If, and then go for it. Decision-making has never been a problem.

(I do have problems not bringing things full circle, and I'm always willing to consider new options in my quest to discover the truth. But that's not the same.)

·
Registered
382 Posts
I would say it has more to do with enneagram. I've read somewhere that enneagram type 9 tend to be indecisive, when it comes to one personal identity. Nines may have a compulsive need to melt, to become invisible. It doesn't help with self identification.

Ne allows to see potential in extroverted manner, but Ni allow to see things form different angles as well, so comparision of uncertainty / decisiveness doesn't necessarily make sense to me. Ni do have it's 'one single truth' moments, but it's not like it's some constantly working machine which manufactures truths, huh.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I am a Ne-dom, but I'm usually very decisive, and indecisiveness actually bothers me.
The fact that I can see and theorize all the possibilities doesn't mean that I can't choose among them or that I can't see what the best option is.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Idk tbh. Socionics Ne dom here. I always need more input to make decisions and I reevaluate conclusions as soon as new information is available, which makes me rather fickle. My preferred method is induction o_O and I do tend to consider all the possibilities as long as the data is inconclusive I will hold from making a decision. I also tend to optimize for the best outcome possible / consider several variants at the same time.

I'm also a type 6, which is a head type and prone to over thinking, doubt, skepticism, a need for certainty and fear related procrastination ala I hate making mistakes so I double / triple check.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Nay to Ne alone. Would be a result of a judging function likely, I would think... I picture it as "maladjusted" to functioning with this sort of subjective, "based on gut/how you see yourself" material. But it could be for other reasons. People can be uncertain and have this uncertainty pouring at them from different angles.

Ex: (just because I've discussed it before for them) For users with Ne and Ti. It would be like the Ne chugging away (doing it's natural Ne thing, no big deal. Nothing crazy or overloaded, just your every day scene at the Ne factory), but Ti scrambling, frustrated and not knowing how to quite conclude/apply this sort of data to something as personal as the self. It might be able to work just fine and dandy with different data, but not this.

I can see it applying to non Ne users for different reasons.

I personally can't decide on my type because I have an overbearing uncomfortable thought that my decision will somehow be tainted by a possible bias understanding of something. I don't trust my perception of the self more than anything and have trouble being introspective to that extent, where I can look at myself and figure out my personality and then trust that sort of judgement.

Reactions: Verity3

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I'm so indecisive. People here, mostly J people, talk about wanting to make the "perfect" decision. For me... it's more like, I can see the merit in so many different options, to the point they all seem equally "real" despite being contradictory. So like, I can go from one thing seeming nearly ideal and reasonable, to then seeming... ridiculous and unappealing in comparison to the option that just previously looked the same way. Drives me bonkers.

I usually do have a gut reaction or reflex, something that "feels" right, even something that makes the most logical sense... but unless it's tedious to the point I just want to move onto something more meaningful, I rarely go with it right off the bat.

I'm very afraid of "missing out" on things. I hate the idea of giving up power. To a lot of people, making decisions feels powerful - as it should. For me, I fear I'm closing a door and giving up my power.

So I don't know what I can say about Ne/Si that hasn't already been said. I think the Fi and Te are also huge factors for me. Like... everything about my function stacking (combined with my questionable self-esteem, overactive imagination, and fear of disrupting other people (9-fix?) = an indecisive mess, tbh...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts