Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is mostly food for thought for those of you who can't decide your personality type:

I've given this some thought. (I'm an Ni, so I give lots of stuff some thought:wink:.)

Many of you are like me, and you can't decide what type you are based on the personality portraits that you read and observations that you make about your behaviors and perspectives. You put an "x" in place of areas in-which you feel you can't decide on what perference you have. Well, maybe the "x's" are not the areas that you should be concerned with.

I'm a strong Ni, but I seem to be more balanced in the other areas. I think objectivley and subjectivley. I see the obvious need for logic, but I also know that emotions are not simply sad feelings that get in the way of reason. Without them: I could never be happy, I could never care about anything or anybody, and I would have no "soul".

I understand the need to make my own judgements about things, but I also see the need to be open-minded about things. Order is important, but sometimes spontenaity and wit are valuable too.

Those are my "x's". The point of this thread is that I feel like those are the areas that I don't need to work on. Maybe that's true for you too.

I'm very weak in Se. I objectivley understand the need for it, but that feels like being shallow or caring too much about "mundane" things. It bores me, honestly. I get along with Ne's fine, but I clash a lot with Se's, and some of them treat me like I"m inferior which irritates me. Everything seems superfical and "surface level". I want to change this mindset, but it seems very difficult to.

·
MOTM Jan 2010
2,988 Posts
This is mostly food for thought for those of you who can't decide your personality type:

I've given this some thought. (I'm an Ni, so I give lots of stuff some thought:wink:.)

Many of you are like me, and you can't decide what type you are based on the personality portraits that you read and observations that you make about your behaviors and perspectives. You put an "x" in place of areas in-which you feel you can't decide on what perference you have. Well, maybe the "x's" are not the areas that you should be concerned with.

I'm a strong Ni, but I seem to be more balanced in the other areas. I think objectivley and subjectivley. I see the obvious need for logic, but I also know that emotions are not simply sad feelings that get in the way of reason. Without them: I could never be happy, I could never care about anything or anybody, and I would have no "soul".

I understand the need to make my own judgements about things, but I also see the need to be open-minded about things. Order is important, but sometimes spontenaity and wit are valuable too.

Those are my "x's". The point of this thread is that I feel like those are the areas that I don't need to work on. Maybe that's true for you too.

I'm very weak in Se. I objectivley understand the need for it, but that feels like being shallow or caring too much about "mundane" things. It bores me, honestly. I get along with Ne's fine, but I clash a lot with Se's, and some of them treat me like I"m inferior which irritates me. Everything seems superfical and "surface level". I want to change this mindset, but it seems very difficult to.
The goal of typology is not to work on our traits so that we become a balanced "XXXX." The point is to understand and foster our natural strengths. I also think objectively and subjectively. I use logic but also feel emotions. That doesn't mean I'm borderline in my traits. Ti and Fe are both a part of me. If I start to test borderline in T/F, it doesn't change my type. Those are just numbers that oversimplify the situation.

The reason why you have difficulty with Se is because you prefer Ni so much. It would not make sense for you to try and see things through the Se lens if you naturally prefer Ni. It would most likely cause you stress.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The goal of typology is not to work on our traits so that we become a balanced "XXXX." The point is to understand and foster our natural strengths. I also think objectively and subjectively. I use logic but also feel emotions. That doesn't mean I'm borderline in my traits. Ti and Fe are both a part of me. If I start to test borderline in T/F, it doesn't change my type. Those are just numbers that oversimplify the situation.
Is that the goal for everyone who looks into typology? Honeslty, I prefer to look at each of the functions separatley. As much as I normally like to see "the big picture", I have found that it helps me to bear in mind that it is a spectrum. Typology has been useful for me to understand not only my own natural strengths but also my weaknesses. And I am doing the "self-improvement" thing, because I've been struggling a lot in my life. I've never had a problem "thinking things through", but I struggle a lot with "making things happen", and I think the later is just as important.

I assumed that I wasn't alone in this, but who knows? Maybe most of you just want to understand your strengths even more and not "stress" about your weaknesses...but not me.

·
MOTM Jan 2010
2,988 Posts
Is that the goal for everyone who looks into typology? Honeslty, I prefer to look at each of the functions separatley. As much as I normally like to see "the big picture", I have found that it helps me to bear in mind that it is a spectrum. Typology has been useful for me to understand not only my own natural strengths but also my weaknesses. And I am doing the "self-improvement" thing, because I've been struggling a lot in my life. I've never had a problem "thinking things through", but I struggle a lot with "making things happen", and I think the later is just as important.

I assumed that I wasn't alone in this, but who knows? Maybe most of you just want to understand your strengths even more and not "stress" about your weaknesses...but not me.
I never said that we should ignore our weaknesses. In fact, I am all about self-improvement. I just meant that it's not as simple as "I'm going to work on such and such a function," do things associated with healthy use of that function, and then assume that you have command over it. Functions are a mindset, not a skill set.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dsv2e, I'm with you on trying to figure out my weaknesses more. I don't think that typology has a straightforward purpose as to what it should do. People are so complex and different that they interpret typology in whatever way that they want to. On the one hand, you have people who only want to focus on their strengths and others who would prefer to strengthen their weaknesses.

I feel the way that I do because my weaknesses haunt me in my everyday life and they make me feel uncomfortable when I'm forced to deal with them. But I figure that if I become accustom to my weaknesses and if I develop an awareness of them; I can better cope with them so in my personal view; I use typology to help with that but everyone has a different perspective and typology appeals to different people for different reasons. Such is life

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never said that we should ignore our weaknesses. In fact, I am all about self-improvement. I just meant that it's not as simple as "I'm going to work on such and such a function," do things associated with healthy use of that function, and then assume that you have command over it. Functions are a mindset, not a skill set.
Oh, I agree. My mindset still gets in the way though. In fact, it's almost like I have two parts of me- I guess T and F- constantly fighting about Se in my head.

There's certainly nothing simple about it. It seems clear to me, however, that in order for me to "improve", I NEED to have inner peace first.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I think that if you feel you are weak in any of your functions and you feel the need to improve than all you can do is devise coping strategies and structure your life around your strengths and weaknesses as much as possible.

You will not be able to change your basic personality make up. When you are a freight truck, dont try to win the indy 500. Instead get into the business of delivering goods.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I do support the strengthening of weak functions if people think that will better their life; The only reason I would watch out is because some people can develop a reliance on their tertiary or inferior functions...which...is not as good as it may sounds to an individual lol. Atleast from what I've heard, and it does make sense to me. I, for instance, need to rely on my Fi for certain things. If I didn't, then my Ne would go from place to place with no grounding. My Te cannot support that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts