Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, if you could have lived in a different time period, what would it be? :) And what setting/class?
And, of course, why?

My pick would be the mid to late 1800s, and the setting would be a ranch. Cowboys and what not, if you will. I guess I think life would have been "simpler" in some ways, though definitely not all. And it seems like men were more "real" and manly then... compared to the lot I've experienced, at least. Ranchers definitely weren't stupid, the men were committed, and they respected their wives. Women had to be physically able as well.
It all just sounds quite appealing to me.
In any case, it'd be in the country and not the city. The city men sounded like scoundrels. I guess I'm a sucker for American Romanticism (1800s) haha.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Born in the 1920's America- Living and fighting through the second world war in the 40's... Living through the'FIFTIES' and 'Sixties' and then taking an acid related hippie overdose...and flying from a building into the concrete in '69' :laughing:

Living through all that would have been a great life experience!

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I have always had a fascination with the medieval days.

The clashing swords, the wars, the King's, Queen's, Princesses, Knights, all that.

Another time would generally be when Rome was taking over the world.
- a soldier in Rome
- a gladiator (Spartacus! - Awesome show)
- invasion of Troy
- Spartan life in general

A bit of a time lapse between a lot of those events and they're not all from Rome, but the point is, I'm fascinated by a warriors life.

·
Registered
150 Posts
This is a tricky one because the past was not a good place for a woman. I'm fascinated by medieval and tudor history and often daydream about living back then. I'm attatched to romantic notions of chivalry and honour, which I feel have been long forgotten. However, I often remind myself that this medieval gallantry was no more than a facade and was never extended to the lower orders. Even the aristocray made sacrifices. Women died in childbirth and men died in battle. Nothing romantic about that.

I love Jane Austen and lament for the days lost when women were treated as ladies and got to wear lovely dresses (yes, I'm quite shallow in that respect). But then again, much of the wealth Britain accumilated during that period came from the slave trade. To know that my grand estates would have been built on the misery of so many makes me shudder. It's all very well to daydream, but the reality would soon shatter our rose tinted glasses.

Having said all of this I do believe we can take the best from the past and harness it to create a nicer place to live. I feel that society has been coarsened by casual swearing, shouting in the street, binge drinking and rampant promiscuity. A little restraint would do everyone a world of good.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Victorian England, 1880s or 1890s or so....would love to visit for a period.

But I like living today. I can romanticize older times and visit the best aspects of them in books/film, but don't have to deal with the harsh truth of each era.....I wouldn't chose to live in the past.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I would choose to live in the antediluvian era (pre-flood), when the physical and mental prowess of the human race was at its peak and the earth was covered with a vapor canopy like the other planets have, keeping higher oxygen levels on the planet, and conducing much healthier life. The people were 8-14 feet tall, and they had little need of their written language because their minds absorbed and recalled every bit of information they had been exposed to. The savants of today are modern glimpses of ancient antediluvian ability, like those able to do infinitely complex mathematical calculations within a split second, or those able to recall every memory of every day, or those able to artistically replicate in perfect detail any visual memory they have taken in. For today's savants, it sometimes comes at an expense to their other faculties, but to the antediluvian race of humans, their brains possessed each and every one of those abilities concurrently.

Some of today's humans give examples of physical capabilities that humans once had. There is a man who's body's lactic acid does not build up so much as to prevent his muscles from running almost indefinitely - for 80 or more hours at a time! I would like to have lived in that era of human existence, to know what having that sort of physical and mental existence would have been like. What would the music have sounded like...human voice from physically superior humans? Art...technology...emotional expression? How would it have differed. It would have been nice to experience that.

By the way, I know not everybody believes in this antediluvian world, but I do. I viewed a lecture series whose speaker revealed many artifacts and geological phenomena that are not given acknowledgement by mainstream science, but that evidence a society of superior humans on an earth with very different physical attributes. So based on my belief in that, I choose that era.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
The Roaring 20's in one of the bigger cities of America.

I love the clothes, the jazz movement and the literature. Everything was so fancy and extravagant (If you were rich, anyway).

Reactions: refugee

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would choose to live in the antediluvian era (pre-flood), when the physical and mental prowess of the human race was at its peak and the earth was covered with a vapor canopy like the other planets have, keeping higher oxygen levels on the planet, and conducing much healthier life. The people were 8-14 feet tall, and they had little need of their written language because their minds absorbed and recalled every bit of information they had been exposed to. The savants of today are modern glimpses of ancient antediluvian ability, like those able to do infinitely complex mathematical calculations within a split second, or those able to recall every memory of every day, or those able to artistically replicate in perfect detail any visual memory they have taken in. For today's savants, it sometimes comes at an expense to their other faculties, but to the antediluvian race of humans, their brains possessed each and every one of those abilities concurrently.

Some of today's humans give examples of physical capabilities that humans once had. There is a man who's body's lactic acid does not build up so much as to prevent his muscles from running almost indefinitely - for 80 or more hours at a time! I would like to have lived in that era of human existence, to know what having that sort of physical and mental existence would have been like. What would the music have sounded like...human voice from physically superior humans? Art...technology...emotional expression? How would it have differed. It would have been nice to experience that.

By the way, I know not everybody believes in this antediluvian world, but I do. I viewed a lecture series whose speaker revealed many artifacts and geological phenomena that are not given acknowledgement by mainstream science, but that evidence a society of superior humans on an earth with very different physical attributes. So based on my belief in that, I choose that era.
That would have been cool!... maybe when we die in 'this' world...we will be reincarnated in a world just like 'that' one :happy:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hmm medieval or renaissance times, even the 1800s. Anything that involves a little adventure, danger, freedom, and travel.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece (and then of course, I would learn under Sappho on the Isle of Lesbos... if ya know what I mean. :wink: ), Ancient Rome (as a gladiator), feudal Japan (as a bushido samurai), the middle ages as a knight, or the late 60s on the west coast of the US (as a random hippie thoroughly enjoying the free love movement).

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would probably want to live in Athens in Ancient Greece. They had democracy, made amazing works of art/ literature, made amazing discoveries, and it was the best time to be a creative thinker(philosophers anyone?). Also women were treated pretty fairly considering all other periods in history(except modern day).
The Renaissance would have been lovely to live in also, because it too was a great time for innovative thinking and change.
Same goes for the revolutions of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, for the same reasons(though they were so bloody, which is a negative. but they also produced the most modern thought to date, so...)
Athens, though, is definitely my number one.

So I guess basically I would want to live in a time when new, radical, creative, idealistic thinking was encouraged and applied.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Whenever people ask me this question, I think of all the wonderful eras in which great historical events took place and all the ways of the olden days - how cool it might be - then i realize: I'm an English speaking female minority. Preferably I'd like to be somewhere I'd speak the language, which also happens to be predominantly Caucasian.

Just so you know, people, in such areas I'd like to be, they weren't all too accepting or welcome of people like me! Even just being a woman in general. Hell, I can't even go back 40 years in time without there being some kind of discrimination against me. But, hey, I might go back anyways cuz it certainly makes for an interesting challenge.

So, guys: You have it lucky!

·
Registered
86 Posts
In the time of hunter-gatherers, before humankind divided the earth up into haves and have nots. When people lived every minute and worked only a few hours a day to feed their families. When the earth was free of skyscrapers, parking lots, and smog.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
In the time of hunter-gatherers, before humankind divided the earth up into haves and have nots. When people lived every minute and worked only a few hours a day to feed their families. When the earth was free of skyscrapers, parking lots, and smog.
There were still haves and have-nots in hunter-gatherer days sometimes. Some tribes had chiefs and things that got to feast all year round, regardless of how much food was available for everyone else. But generally, yeah, life was better for humans pre-agriculture.

·
Registered
86 Posts
There were still haves and have-nots in hunter-gatherer days sometimes. Some tribes had chiefs and things that got to feast all year round, regardless of how much food was available for everyone else. But generally, yeah, life was better for humans pre-agriculture.
I was referring to a time before chiefdoms during a more egalitarian form of living (If it ever truly existed). I do agree that there have always been haves and have-nots, but I would surmise during hunter-gathering times that was due to an individuals inability to do the work rather than being born into poverty. The bounty of the earth was more evenly distributed thanks to smaller populations, but I'm sure there were hard times. The idea of being able to pick up stakes with no worries about borders and move on, a nomadic band of wanderers, is very appealing to me.

I once discussed it with a good friend of mine and he couldn't imagine leaving today's technology and medicine behind. I always imagine the people of those times, though they might live shorter lives, truly lived. They had to survive against the elements and rely on each other in a way I know I've never experienced.

Reactions: rowingineden
1 - 20 of 21 Posts