Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking to get some closure on my dabbling with the Enneagram (I really want to nail down my tritype & stacking so I can focus on overcoming these issues in the real world). Any help would be vastly appreciated and I'm willing to answer any other questions you may have but compared to the self-awareness of others on these forums my ansers might fall massively short in terms of real depth. Thanks just for reading if you do though !!!!

1. How would an author describe you in a book? Write the paragraph that would introduce you in a novel.

Secretive, sincere….I dunno. I relate to Lisbeth Salander (from the Millenium series) to a degree that makes me question who I am. Recently people have mentioned Harry Potter to me, so I might be stuck in an Order of Phoenix style angst laden section in my journey atm. Perhaps I do imagine myself as a mix between the two characters? Unsure.

2. Think over the past day or week and make a mental list (you can also write it here) of ways other people have annoyed, angered, or otherwise bothered you - any situation where people have done one thing, while you wished they would have done another. Look at each of these instances and answer (you can make a list or make note of general patterns - an example is good):

So a guy at work today got very frustrated with me for not being able to do two things at once. Essentially, I was dealing with guests and making sure the tables were set for them and he mini-exploded at me for not refilling one of the dishes that they take their food from. At the moment it happened I was pretty nonchalant about his anger and repeatedly said ‘Calm down, it’s fine’ because it really was. It only bothered me after the fact for a little while because I thought it was pretty unnecessary. By annoyed I mean I mulled the situation over in my head while we continued to work and felt that twinge from when you’re a kid and you really want to cry about someone stealing your favourite toy. In the moment it occurred to me to push back forcefully in defending myself but it was so minor that wouldn’t have helped at all. Sh-t happens right? I think I reacted just fine. Absolutely no bad blood three minute after it happened.

Apart from that sometimes my flatmate’s constant questions and probing really bugs the fk out of me. It’s strange. Not sure how it could be helped but it almost feels like a physical presence that traps me. For some reason I have no idea how to express that because it seems so fickle.

3. What holds you back in life? This can be an internal or external force. If that thing were gone, what would be different? What would you do?

Finding my niche, & getting into my zone. I was constantly in my zone before attending university. Like, if I wanted to do something (read, write a novel, write/produce/engineer songs on my own, I did it. Now, that same drive is gone & I have no idea why its gone or how to get it back. If I was in my element I really feel like I could absolutely dominate well and truly. I would be back to my impenetrable self.

4. Your deepest secret has just been revealed to the person or people from whom you most wished to keep it. How do you feel? How do you react? What are the results on your life?

This has kind of already happened, though I can’t be 100% certain and since it’s my deepest secret it’s not something I can ask about. I feel like all of my worst days of depression and apathy have hit me and turned my entire head upside down. Thinking and planning is terrible, out of control and just useless really. I react with a mixture of attempting to remove said person from my life without a second thought, guilt and literally just running away (physically and cerebrally).

5. You are offered one of three gifts: a bottle filled with water from the Fountain of Life, a crown which will give you peaceful dominion over the world's people for your entire (full) lifetime, and a ring which will unite you with your true love and ensure a happy, passionate marriage. Which do you choose and why? What are your hesitations and motivations?
The Bottle: So this is eternal life right? Sounds good but there’s no telling what sort of life that is going to be and I’d rather not be stuck with immortality and just suck at everything, so no. It’d be nice to outlast the effects of any wrong I may do but if it stays inside my internally I might as well be dead anyway.

Crown: Instinctually I take up this offer. I would have doubts about how good my reign might actually be. What’s the point of being a King or Ruler if you end up being terrible at it?

Ring: True love sounds great, throughout my life this is something I’ve told myself won’t happen for me – or didn’t believe it could happen – so nice to prove myself wrong.

My head says the crown, my heart says the ring. Can’t decide.

6. You are offered one of three houses. The first is located in a big city and has historic and artistic value: it was designed by a great architect and was owned by interesting people in the past. Owning this house is very prestigious and guarantees you social status and a circle of friends, but it also comes with responsibility - you must keep the house up to code, manage the household, and give parties and events. The second house you may design using your imagination - literally your dream house - it is located in a very secluded location and no one is allowed to visit this house except you and your immediate family. The third house is very nice, but has no particular aesthetic appeal - a McMansion in short. It is in an extremely convenient location and is very secure. It is impossible for thieves to break in and it has no danger of natural disasters. You are guaranteed to be able to sell the house for double the price in twenty years. Which do you choose and why? What are your hesitations and motivations?

I choose the first house. The responsibilities seem fair enough and I would just host the events and then slip out whenever I wanted to do something else if the urge struck me. Managing the household wouldn’t be difficult for me to do, so there’s that. 2nd house, well firstly I wouldn’t ever be satisfied and also I’d rather have my friends with me than my immediate family honestly. Also, the beauty and history (so much to learn and so much significance!). I could finally speak like a villain in those movies who seem to know everything and such.

7. You are offered one of three doors. The first opens to a world that is dangerous and demands mental or physical skill to navigate through, but also has great rewards to be gained: think of the worlds portrayed on the shows Game of Thrones or Supernatural. The second opens to a world that is full of wonders, magic, and knowledge, which can be learned or experienced, but there is little solid resting ground - think of the worlds portrayed in the shows Doctor Who or in the multi-media phenomenon A Hitchkiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The third opens to a world where you may experience a life of peaceful, uneventful poverty - think of the hobbits in the series Lord of the Rings or most of the animals living in Narnia. Which do you choose and why? What are your hesitations and motivations?

The first world. It may be dangerous but it’s something that you can conquer if you have the ability and the desire to prove that to myself, plus the excitement of danger and having to be better than any obtrusions would simply be too much for me to handle – even if I knew I would fall short just….I could not turn it down.

8. What do you wish people understood about you? Talk about a time you were misunderstood.

I wish they understood that I don’t want to be understood. I want to do and enjoy myself while doing it.

9. What do you hope people won't notice about you? What are you uncomfortable being teased about?

That I may not be smart enough (or just able) to achieve what I want from my life. For a lot of my life I might’ve said I could be teased about anything. I mean, I was teased massively throughout my life and it never really bothered me. These days things have become a lot more personal( therefore, myself sensitive) so I don’t want to be teased about anything.

10. What's worse - to be seen as caring more than you do or less than you do? Why? Do you think you come across one way or the other? Do you typically pretend to care more or to care less?

Probably being seen as more caring than I am. Not that I’m not caring, but if I care with a certain amount of distance I can actually CARE and not feel forced to care anymore than I want to. I mean… I choose to care. Because I can understand the others POV and nothing is worse than feeling unheard and misunderstood/uncared for. (This might counteract with #9 but it’s important to note I made a clear distinction internally that I do not desire to be treated with in the same way I treat others – I never want anyone to feel those things, but personally it doesn’t bother me much if I am, now it kind of does which has been absolutely terrible honestly and it has affected how caring I can actually be negatively).

11. Think about a time that someone else tried to control your actions - to tell you what to do, to manipulate you, or influence you. How did you feel and how did you react? What went through your mind?

Anger & frustration at having myself in a position where something like that could even happen. My actions were controlled for a large part of my childhood so this something that really infuriates me.

12. When you first meet someone, what are your first thoughts? What judgments do you make and what kinds of considerations do you have? Are you more concerned with what they think of you or what you think of them? If you are preparing to meet someone new, what do you hope about them and what do you fear about them?

I’m more concerned about a mutual connection. I have a desire to observe their personality and decide whether I appreciate it and how it makes me feel. Mostly I am able to find a way to get along with anyone so long as they’re not completely uptight. Through whatever understanding of myself it’s clear to me that in every person is a lot that can be liked or at least respected highly.

13. Think about the last time you cried (if you've recently lost a loved one or gone through another similarly difficult experience, you can go back further and choose a random instance). What caused this? Who was around? Were you crying out of sadness, joy, frustration, or some other factor? How did you feel afterwards? Did it change anything? Is this typical for you?

Honestly? I cried at knowing my mother (deceased) would never get to see anything that I manage to accomplish in my life. Crying is usually cathartic whenever it happens for me. The terrible thing is I’m not sure what this story says about me.

14. Think about the last time you felt really happy, joyful, or satisfied. What caused this feeling? What was different? What keeps you from feeling this way all the time?

15. If you were a tragic hero, what would be your fatal flaw? If you were a character in a comedy, what would be your distinguishing trait (i.e. stingy with money, fastidious, shallow, pretentious, etc.) Do you think others would agree with these?

16. Think over the past day or week and make a mental list (you can also write it here) of ways that you have done badly - by yourself, by others, etc. - any time that you have done something, and wish you would have done better. How would you characterize these instances? What caused you to fail and what was your reaction? Are you more likely to be hard on yourself or to find excuses for yourself?

Not answering your question directly but I’vefailed in that I’m not as adaptable to change as I once was andthat’s been a bitter blow to whatever self-esteem I once had.

17. a. Imagine meeting an evil version of yourself - your 'dark side' - and describe this person.
b. Describe your ideal self.

My evil side isn’t even something that I want to think about honestly. My ideal self is my past self: straight-talking, amazing at avoiding mishaps, great at getting over setbacks, and a talent for both propping up and undermining people in positions of power and authority over me. A lot of respect, and able to work well with most anyone.

18. What is your experience with and how do you deal with the following:
a. loneliness – Macabre answer but I’ve dealt with this my whole life. Sublimation? Pushing through it with a sort of ‘this will pass’ attitude.
b. doubt – Getting a second opinion to determine whether I’m right to doubt something then acting how I see fit.
c. boredom – Dealing with it. Withdrawing to my imagination. Sleeping etc
d. laziness – Critical inner voice that says to stop being lazy, and fighting tis inner voice until it wins.
e. temper – I’m able to temper it only because I’ve had one my whole life and realised early on it’s more of a negative trait than a positive one.

19. Which of the 'seven deadly sins' - pride, wrath, sloth, envy, lust, gluttony, avarice - do you relate to most and why? Which do you relate to least and why? Feel free to go into depth about these.

Most – Lust
Least – Pride/Wrath

20. Link a song you relate to and explain why.

In reality these two videos are the same song, but YT doesn’t have a video with both together. I relate to this song for a variety of reasons…well I’m not sure relate is the best word but it speaks to my soul more than any other song (perhaps Heartattack in a Layby – Porcupine Tree is a close second).

The beat is lush, complex, soulful, beautiful, and yet somehow simple and brilliant. It’s the sound that I would wish my life to exemplify. The lyrics are hilariously honest, materialistic but extremely self-aware ( ‘I ordered the jerk, she said you are what you eat’…’I’m making love to the angel of death, catching feelings, never stumble, retracing my steps)

I listen to this song and I hear dedication to making the best song that it could be, one of a kind and yeah, it’s just awesome, awesome, awesome.

Disclaimer: Not sure whether to laugh at myself for some of these answers and for the person I am so please don’t be too offput at my personality. Honestly, I’m not as bad(vain) as this might seem.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Just curious, have you taken the RHETI test? Or perhaps read into the tritype descriptions and found one that resonated with you most? I think either or questions dig into your motivations faster than these open ended questions will, but that's just me. The INFJs I know are 459s. 4w5, 5w4, 1w9 or something like that.

Enneagram Test- The Riso-Hudson Type Indicator (Version 2.0)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just curious, have you taken the RHETI test? Or perhaps read into the tritype descriptions and found one that resonated with you most? I think either or questions dig into your motivations faster than these open ended questions will, but that's just me. The INFJs I know are 459s. 4w5, 5w4, 1w9 or something like that.

Enneagram Test- The Riso-Hudson Type Indicator (Version 2.0)
1 - 5
2 - 3
3 - 4
4 - 4
5 - 3
6 - 4
7 - 4
8 - 6
9 - 3

So of all the tritype descriptions the ones I've most resonated with has been the 541/548/583 tritypes.

When I look back at my life so far I see a lot of 5-ness and 8-ness, especially while younger. I had a ridiculous need for privacy that has lasted most of my life. I could be harmlessly browsing news websites on a device and I'll be making sure that there is no way that anyone can see what it is that I'm even doing on my device (to the point of checking for reflections off of surfaces even if nothing that is on the screen is visible in anyway). As a child just someone being in the room for a moment while I was writing some story or whatever simultaneously terrified and annoyed the heck out of me. To this day its kind of embarrassing that I'm not sure what even my closest friends know about me. Some of them might not even be aware that I have siblings.... What does that say to you?

I think the trouble I'm having mostly is trying to distinguish between what I say/think I want in my life and what I might actually be confident/capable of doing. What I mean by this is that while I desperately do want to make a success of my life, not in the typically Americanised ways but a sort of nebulous and still distinct being apart of a team/group that makes a significant impact on the world, I'm ambivalent towards being 'well-known'. Like... it wouldn't be a problem for me to be the most well known person in the world, so long as it doesn't actually affect my life.

This is why in my head, I associate most strongly with the 5 the 8 and the 3 of the three fixes. But what would it mean to have exuberant success if it means having my life turned in a direction I'm unwilling to go (is this a 3-fix conundrum?)? Or is that something everyone has to make peace with ?

Maybe the best way to determine my tritype is to just have conversations in this thread and let you all pick out the most telling things that I say.

Also, having come into contact with an INFJ and an INTJ 8 (holy damn is he direct), I'm doubtful of me being INFJ and not perhaps ENTP or INTJ. Not sure how much I'd like to mix the two systems though, in fear of making this process more complex than it might need to be (feel free to tell me if that might not be correct).

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Isn't the 458/548 the scholar? Damn I wish I was that type. The dark, scientific philosopher that likes to observe/tear people inside out and figure out how they work. Or even contemplate the darker implications of existentialism. Pretty hardcore man xD

541 and 538 are classic INTJs.

INFJs in my experience, miiight be 6, but usually just 4/5, 9/1. Maybe a 2 thrown in there. More likely a 2 than a 6. INFJs are pretty private like INTJ unless they are a 2.

Strange considering how rare they are, but I know a bunch of INFJs/INTJs. Easies way for me to tell them apart: INFJs care about society. In fact, they absorb other people's emotions. I don't think any other MBTI type really does that (maybe ENFJ?) or can even relate to the emotional turbulence that can cause. INTJs care about themselves. Not necessarily in a selfish way, but like a curious "I want to learn a shit ton of stuff. Then make it happen."

Your questionnaire makes sense now. I'd agree you're an 8. Want control, being dominated/controlled pisses you off. Protect the self pro-actively.

8. What do you wish people understood about you? Talk about a time you were misunderstood.

I wish they understood that I don’t want to be understood. I want to do and enjoy myself while doing it.
I'd say INFJs crave people understanding their mental processes that led them to fight for whatever cause they believe in. Their reasonings can be pretty complex but it's always for the sake of the whole group/society.

7. You are offered one of three doors. The first opens to a world that is dangerous and demands mental or physical skill to navigate through, but also has great rewards to be gained: think of the worlds portrayed on the shows Game of Thrones or Supernatural. The second opens to a world that is full of wonders, magic, and knowledge, which can be learned or experienced, but there is little solid resting ground - think of the worlds portrayed in the shows Doctor Who or in the multi-media phenomenon A Hitchkiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The third opens to a world where you may experience a life of peaceful, uneventful poverty - think of the hobbits in the series Lord of the Rings or most of the animals living in Narnia. Which do you choose and why? What are your hesitations and motivations?

The first world. It may be dangerous but it’s something that you can conquer if you have the ability and the desire to prove that to myself, plus the excitement of danger and having to be better than any obtrusions would simply be too much for me to handle – even if I knew I would fall short just….I could not turn it down.
8w7. I'd even go as far as to bet there's a bit of 3 in there. 3 being the weakest tritype, it doesn't have to manifest as success or fame. But rather achievement and competence. Perhaps being recognized and appraised for your achievements would be nice, but the fame/benefit of having been recognized doesn't necessarily matter.

9. What do you hope people won't notice about you? What are you uncomfortable being teased about?

That I may not be smart enough (or just able) to achieve what I want from my life. For a lot of my life I might’ve said I could be teased about anything. I mean, I was teased massively throughout my life and it never really bothered me. These days things have become a lot more personal( therefore, myself sensitive) so I don’t want to be teased about anything.
Whoa...the 583 vibes here. Not smart enough/just able to achieve what you want from your life. What you want from your life, control over your destiny (8). The need to achieve what you want in life, rather than "obtain" I suppose factors into success 3 and control 8. Smart enough, wanting to be competent and independent 5. 8 is pretty confident and self-assured, so teasing bounces off. 5 is acutely aware of self's abilities so outside opinion may not factor much. Sensitive lately. Might I suppose, 8w7, 5w4, 3w4? More situational 4 vibes?

I feel like my guesses are all wrong, LOL.

Curious, do you have dialogues in your head? Like, there's person A: Gambino. And then there's person B: Gambino's Mind. Person B nags at you to do something, and person A's 8 factors into the resistance to being told what to do, but then realizing it should probably get done, and then going to do it. Like, you do direct yourself to do things, almost like commanding yourself to act? That's as INTJ as it gets.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Isn't the 458/548 the scholar? Damn I wish I was that type. The dark, scientific philosopher that likes to observe/tear people inside out and figure out how they work. Or even contemplate the darker implications of existentialism. Pretty hardcore man xD

541 and 538 are classic INTJs.

INFJs in my experience, miiight be 6, but usually just 4/5, 9/1. Maybe a 2 thrown in there. More likely a 2 than a 6. INFJs are pretty private like INTJ unless they are a 2.

Strange considering how rare they are, but I know a bunch of INFJs/INTJs. Easies way for me to tell them apart: INFJs care about society. In fact, they absorb other people's emotions. I don't think any other MBTI type really does that (maybe ENFJ?) or can even relate to the emotional turbulence that can cause. INTJs care about themselves. Not necessarily in a selfish way, but like a curious "I want to learn a shit ton of stuff. Then make it happen."

Your questionnaire makes sense now. I'd agree you're an 8. Want control, being dominated/controlled pisses you off. Protect the self pro-actively.
Yup. The INTJ I mentioned previously, I'm pretty sure is an 854/845. He came over to my house with a few other friends and systemically slung some sh*t at each of us. We ended up staring each other out until he randomly asked if I'd seen a trailer for a TV show. The whole damn thing was so surprising I was kinda disappointed when he switched target. Top guy. Perhaps he was just stating his opinions and it was taken that way only by me, could be...

Also, if that's the case I must be INTJ. Don't relate much to absorbing emotions off of other people & I definitely am in the process of learning a shit ton of stuff aha :p

8w7. I'd even go as far as to bet there's a bit of 3 in there. 3 being the weakest tritype, it doesn't have to manifest as success or fame. But rather achievement and competence. Perhaps being recognized and appraised for your achievements would be nice, but the fame/benefit of having been recognized doesn't necessarily matter.

Whoa...the 583 vibes here. Not smart enough/just able to achieve what you want from your life. What you want from your life, control over your destiny (8). The need to achieve what you want in life, rather than "obtain" I suppose factors into success 3 and control 8. Smart enough, wanting to be competent and independent 5. 8 is pretty confident and self-assured, so teasing bounces off. 5 is acutely aware of self's abilities so outside opinion may not factor much. Sensitive lately. Might I suppose, 8w7, 5w4, 3w4? More situational 4 vibes?
I think we're sort of on the same lines. I'm agreeing with 3w4 as my heart-fix. 8w7 could possibly be the case, if I were in GoT I would not be any sort of knight (far too much chance of getting my head chopped off or trampled by some random warhorse) but I'd definitely know how to swing a sword like the best of them. Handy for getting out of a tight jam. In terms of wings for 5, I sort of relate more to 5w6 (though I should reaffirm that just to make sure), but 3w4/5w4 might explain the 4-ness in me? Even though I don't really feel too 4-ish, occasionally I feel the 4 influence in the sense of suddenly inhabiting this really awesome place that's both inside and outside me, where I have these emotions yeah but they're sort of physical in a way. Like a very real phenomena.

For the past week I have been thinking 5-8-3 in that order. Are you calling it as 8-5-3 in that order ? Perhaps I may not be as directly 5ish as it seems to myself.

Curious, do you have dialogues in your head? Like, there's person A: Gambino. And then there's person B: Gambino's Mind. Person B nags at you to do something, and person A's 8 factors into the resistance to being told what to do, but then realizing it should probably get done, and then going to do it. Like, you do direct yourself to do things, almost like commanding yourself to act? That's as INTJ as it gets.
Yup, that's pretty damn accurate !

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Woohoo! INTJ it is! Probably 5w6 8w7 3w4. I suppose the 6 wing could attribute to the almost aggressive argumentative approach INTJs make when probing people's opinions/arguments for the sake of learning, not winning arguments. Having only a single 4 wing makes sense. INTJs have powerful emotions, but they don't really show, nor do they share often if at all. Its like this:

High Temperature & Corrosion Resistant Molybdenum alloy (Mo) is a refractory metallic element that readily forms hard, stable carbides and has the sixth-highest melting point of any element. ... Molybdenum enhances harden-ability, strength, toughness, and resistance to wear and corrosion.

Relatively cheap to acquire too actually.

Take a fluffy marshmallow, encase it in molybdenum alloy. That's the INTJ's heart. Some INTJ described it this way and I think it fits quite well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there any chance someone else might be able to chime in with a second opinion? Can never go wrong with getting one of those

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
I can look at this in a bit.

Reactions: gambino
1 - 10 of 10 Posts