Personality Cafe banner

81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I guess I'm weird. I'm an INTP male and I think hugs are awesome. Only reason I don't go around hugging my friends is because i don't want to be creepy.

Also, hugging friends that are women is awkward. I don't want them to think I'm squeezing their boobs with my chest, so I have to do that awkward sideways hug.

·
Registered
939 Posts
They will explode with a brilliant outburst of Ti.

.. Unless the hugger is also an INTP or you know the person very well, and you can see the hug coming so you can prepare for it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Blah...I have an INTP friend who (for whatever reason) gives me hugs - what the?? It's weird and awkward all at the same time. And I'm not talking a quick tap on the shoulder type hug, I'm talking a full hug with strength and warmth. I get rigid and do the whole "ok" tap, tap, tap "bye now" and spend the next, god knows how long, wondering what the hell that was about...is he dying? :th_woot:
I'm big on hugs, cuddling, etc. Physical touch and quality time are the big ways I express affection, but only with those I am close with. I'm not one to touch or hug strangers/acquaintances/distant relatives or having them touch me. If an INTP gives you hugs it's safe to say he feels close to you whether that's in a friend, family, or romantic way.

·
Registered
591 Posts
They first have to catch me, which rarely succeeds. If for some reason they catch me by surprise, I tend to be like a tree, not hugging back; :laughing:
THEY GOT ME

I SURRENDER, PLEASE SPARE ME

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm big on hugs, cuddling, etc. Physical touch and quality time are the big ways I express affection, but only with those I am close with. I'm not one to touch or hug strangers/acquaintances/distant relatives or having them touch me. If an INTP gives you hugs it's safe to say he feels close to you whether that's in a friend, family, or romantic way.
Thanks for the insight @Iaokim - just wondering though...when INTPs do things, is it usually on their terms? I.e.: my friend never stopped to think that it might make me uncomfortable him hugging me.

I ask this more out of curiosity, because I've noticed lots of INTPs say things, like for example in this thread, about how they feel uncomfortable with someone else's assumption of personal space (or lack thereof), do INTPs consider these things when hugging other people that aren't INTPs? (not sure if I am being clear here)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Finish the sentence,

If you give an INTP a hug...
Personally I enjoy physical intimacy a great deal. As long as it is with someone I know and trust. Cuddling on the couch with a lover while watching T.V. is awesome. I have this Turkish friend that gives the best hugs out of anyone else I have ever met. I believe it is an avenue for me to express my feelings with action better than I ever could with words. I think it starts to get uncomfortable for me when I am in a social setting and there are people too close to me. Large packed in crowds like busy malls, subway stations, conference room meetings at work. If a strange tried to walk up and hug me I would probably hospitalize them.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thanks for the insight @Iaokim - just wondering though...when INTPs do things, is it usually on their terms? I.e.: my friend never stopped to think that it might make me uncomfortable him hugging me.

I ask this more out of curiosity, because I've noticed lots of INTPs say things, like for example in this thread, about how they feel uncomfortable with someone else's assumption of personal space (or lack thereof), do INTPs consider these things when hugging other people that aren't INTPs? (not sure if I am being clear here)
Well Fe is really the function that is concerned with the well being of others and the "social graces" etc. For INTPs, Fe is our inferior function so it isn't something we develop really well until middle age. An underdeveloped Fe can lead us to not take into account the feelings of others when we process things through our dominant Ti.

So yes I would say that INTPs can fail to consider how their actions make another person feel. If an INTP does do something that makes you uncomfortable, he may well not even be aware of it or may not have even considered it as a possible factor in his analysis. The best thing you can do is to be very straightforward and explain to the INTP in a rational way why it makes you uncomfortable.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Thanks for the insight Ioakim] - just wondering though...when INTPs do things, is it usually on their terms? I.e.: my friend never stopped to think that it might make me uncomfortable him hugging me.

Ioakim is pretty spot on with that. Hell I've been trying for years to use my Fe function well and it is just not working out very well. But you don't need to explain rationally that you don't like hugs, you just need to say it in a straightforward way. I'm a touchy feely person and when I had a friend who had personal space issues she made it pretty clear that my hugs weren't welcome. I was really dissapointed and still hugged her from time to time anyways, but I knew she didn't like it. Once it was stated, it does become part of our analysis.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Combustion.

I'd prefer to reserve my affections for my significant other, specifically during bedtime. A hug at any other time wouldn't upset me, but I'd certainly be bereft of feeling.

81 - 100 of 128 Posts