Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finish the sentence,

If you give an ISTJ a hug...

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
I'll accept hugs because it's the socially correct thing to do. However, I do not like them, and have to force myself to not tense up. Yesterday my job had a "going away" party for a woman that has been with the company for 13 years and was retiring (I have worked with her the longest as with her retirement I have the most tenure there at nine years). She of course hugged everyone when she was getting ready to leave. I most certainly did not want to be "that person" that didn't participate. So I hugged her, but I didn't like it, even though I like HER very much.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Finish the sentence,

If you give an ISTJ a hug...
...it's complicated. And, as MLBH pointed out...it depends on who is giving the hug--and whether or not we expect it and are prepared for it.

As a young ISTJ, a hug from someone other than SWMBO was definitely unwanted and I would make you feel very uncomfortable by my reaction.

Now, not so much. I'll hug friends and people that seem to expect it without making a big deal. Sometimes I'll even initiate it if I think it will make them feel better. But inside, I still cringe a little.

Touch is my love language, so I feel like I am connecting with you more intensely than I intended if we start exchanging hugs.

From SWMBO, I can't seem to get enough hugs...I'm just a cuddle monster when it comes to her...I guess that's the price she pays for being my special lady.:dry:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Most of the time I tense up, give the person a rigid hug and pat them on the back and think to myself "ah good, that's done!". However if I have the hots for someone, then I'll love it! Although I'm out of practice when it comes to hugs. Also when I had pets I liked to hug them and would seldom warmly hug anyone else, as bizarre as the sounds. (Bit of a misanthropist lol).

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Most of the time I tense up, give the person a rigid hug and pat them on the back and think to myself "ah good, that's done!". However if I have the hots for someone, then I'll love it! Although I'm out of practice when it comes to hugs. Also when I had pets I liked to hug them and would seldom warmly hug anyone else, as bizarre as the sounds. (Bit of a misanthropist lol).
The rigid thing is what freaks people out when they hug me unexpectedly.:happy:

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I once planned a 'hug ambush' for my ISTJ friend with other people who all knew her, we surrounded her suddenly and hugged her.. but I swear now she's plotting murder. :crazy:
If she succeeds, it would justifiable homicide from the ISTJ viewpoint. :wink:

·
Registered
310 Posts
I did the awkward pat on the back hug to the mother of the girl I wanted bad, she was there and commented on it, I felt like a moron. True story.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for responding! Not too big on hugs is what I'm getting!

·
Registered
582 Posts
1 - 20 of 193 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.