Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finish the sentence,

If you give an ISTP a hug...

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
... we will gauge and match your enthusiasm (or lack of it).

Yeah, that might just be me.

Also, I don't know about other ISTPs, but do ya'll ever initiate it? I don't, unless it's with a SO.

·
Banned
212 Posts
I've only ever initiated hugs with an SO otherwise I never initiate them unless I'm jokingly doing so.

·
Registered
321 Posts
would appreciate it if they really liked you.....(that would be my response)

I guess it depends on the individual ISTP. I know of some that like it and others that don't.

As to @OctoberSkye's question I only initiate hugs with my SO.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I rarely give hugs but if someone I know well as a friend/girlfriend wants to hug me, so I usually hold them in very tightly, they seem to know by that action that I care for them, more than a Jack Bauer-style voice saying "I really care for you" (or something along those lines)

you gotta differentiate though between hugs, there's like "bro" hugs (shake hands and a pat on the back), "girl-friend" hugs (guy hugs girl, or vice versa), and "lover's" hugs (significant others, usually followed with a smooch)

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much for all your responses!

Reactions: Minesweeper Queen

·
Banned
212 Posts
I can be very huggy when it comes to my SO and that's it. I can't stand ExFP "Who cares about personal space?" hugs.:tongue:

·
Registered
321 Posts
When I was younger (and healthier) I preferred to not be hugged unless it was an SO. I wanted everyone else to stay away. Almost dying due to heart disease has given me a new outlook on life and people. I would say I appreciate people more. If someone wants to hug me, let them hug me, for God's sake. While I hardly ever initiate a hug, if someone wants to hug me, and they sincerly mean the expression of affection , I'll let them do it and no longer view it as some deadly assault. After the hell I went through because of heart disease I've come to realize there are worse things in life that can happen to a person then someone wanting to give me a hug.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I would say I appreciate people more. If someone wants to hug me, let them hug me, for God's sake. While I hardly ever initiate a hug, if someone wants to hug me, and they sincerly mean the expression of affection , I'll let them do it and no longer view it as some deadly assault.
Other than the near death experience, I think this aptly describes my growth process in this department. I used to never want someone to touch me. I am still so awkward accepting hugs, but I grin and bear it. But I have to restrain myself from cringing when someone I just met goes in for a hug; or random people in restaurants touching your shoulder (who does that??). Anyway, I rarely initiate them, unless they're very close, like my family.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
... the hugger should approach from the front and hold out their arms giving notice that a hug is coming up and giving me time to step into the hug.

I don't like people jumping all over me from the front or tackling me from the back. A couple of times my ESFP sister used to throw her arms around me from the back or front and instinctively I push her off me and then she used to get pissed off. But I don't like tackling, glomping hugs!

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really appreciate your openess about this. I'm a big hugger and it surprises me when an ISTP wants to hug me. Apparently it is kind of surprising. I enjoy every hug so much.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I hardly initiate any hugging or touching however that's actually what makes it so effective especially when I like someone, when I touch them it has a more profound or electrifying effect for them since my touch rarely happens.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yah to the electrifying effect...

Reactions: CuritadeRana
1 - 20 of 154 Posts