Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ideally in a selfish sense. And also a realistic one. Ending world hunger or whatever is not within the scope of this question. And buying all the land on earth is not realistic so that kind of thing isn't allowed either.

I want to know what you would do for you, for your own material pleasure and comfort, based on the world we live in today. I suppose if you absolutely must end world hunger then I'll allow it, but you better have a bloody good plan for how to keep it that way, comrade!

Also, truth be told, I just want to make this thread because I'm sick of all the necro threads that have utterly spoiled this subforum lately.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First response from yours truly:

I'd travel perpetually, stopping at various places for a while until I get bored and drift on. Some places I'd stay for probably less than a week, others could be months or even years. Perhaps at some point I'd settle in one location forever. I just like the idea of having ultimate freedom to go anywhere and discover freely for the rest of my life. How amazing it would be.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
Quit my job.

Buy a house and hire an army of handymen to get it exactly how @daleks_exterminate wants it. It should include as many machines as possible that take over the housework. Possibly hire a maid as well.

The house will definitely include a big garden to house our newly purchased animals, among which at least some goats.

As soon as possible, do a family reunion with Daleks' family.

Buy two complete gaming set-ups.

Buy all of the cat and dog toys and furniture. Besides all of the stuff already built in by the army of handymen, because we'd definitely have catwalks everywhere (meaning, high up ledges where the cats can walk over, with openings through the walls to different rooms), as well as a giant catio (an outside, fenced in area for the cats).

There's a good chance we'd give up on cooking mostly. Cooking can be nice and we both enjoy it, but it also costs a lot of time.

Finally go to the dentist again.

Probably have an absolutely abysmal sleeping schedule. There's a good chance I'd end up going to a therapist because historically I have not been able to properly take care of myself without some sort of external routine forced upon me. I'd probably end up doing some kind of charity work to help keep a routine.

We'll probably go travelling a lot, although we probably both care about the environment enough not to take a plane everywhere. Also, I don't think either of us wants to try flying with our 2-year old daughter.

Buy new clothes and shoes.

Pay a financial advisor to help us figure out how much money to give to our relatives and friends. We'd definitely want to share some of our money, but money can make relationships weird, so we'd want to be careful with that.

Board game room. Probably a separate wargaming room next to it.

That's all I can think of right now.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'd redistribute most of it before people start adopting a different currency instead, leaving all my money worthless.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Give it away, I could not, at least not with a good conscience, allow myself to be even slightly 'rich'... Maybe if I had it all I'd think differently. Oh well, no good-answer then, maybe buy a good PC.

·
Registered
1NXP549
3,156 Posts
All the money in a hyperbolic sense?

No idea but if I had a large sum of money right now I would look for an apartment I could buy, I really like the old late 19th century german apartments, the tall windows and ceilings are a delight. My nan has one and I could just sit in an armchair and gaze out of her window for hours and watch the ships sail into the city. Yes it's a wonderful view, lots of greenery too the island on the other side is completely uninhabited.

Since I wouldn't have to worry about working a real job I'd go to music school or maybe theatre or something.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Put my cheesiest grin on all the notes then give it away! Plus all the serial numbers would end in 69 just because. I’m not going to even mention the watermark......

·
Registered
75 Posts
Start a boarding school type of school focused on producing the best engineers possible that would accept people from anywhere in the world if they have the aptitude. I've always thought planning out programs was what I liked doing the most and there is a huge bottleneck with good engineers of all types vs demand. I also think the current traditional university and grade school systems are trash and need a serious overhaul not only in curriculum but also pertaining to who is admitted to which schools.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I'd buy one of each instrument that doesn't involve a mouthpiece, then buy lessons. Also I would move probably to Vermont and go skiing or hiking almost every day.

·
Registered
INTP
3,448 Posts
Take care of a couple of health problems.

Hire the best matchmaker and find my true love.

Travel forever in hot/warm climates only.

Lease a fully staffed yacht for a year, to experience the watery part of the planet.

Visit observatories in many countries. Buy a good telescope.

Never cook or do housework again.

Fund birth control for anyone in the world who wants it. Use my wealth to influence politicians to go along with this.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would devote all of my time to my projects (creating GAI, developing alternative ways of producing electricity, e.t.c.)

·
Banned
16,307 Posts
Build tiny homes for cats

Reactions: lilysocks

·
Infractionated
I drive a blue tricycle with a gold bell.
8,597 Posts
Apparently hire a team to remind @Pifanjr of what he could do now but doesn't know he can :p

Other than that, eh, buy a house and cashmere goats. I'll play small scale farmer. (As a hobby)

Get pif whatever he needed to be happy. Let Pif be a stay at home dad. He'd be fantastic at that.

I'd 100% prefer to work, but in something interesting. If money wasn't an issue, I could take bigger, but more interesting risks in that respect. I'd quite like that.

I'd get a personal assistant because I'm severely ADHD.

I don't actually think much would change. I think we'd really still be the same people with the same strengths and weaknesses.

I'd try to not like horde money in stupid ass ways like buying a biodome and growing weird plants and you know.... Having a biodome, but I'd probably do that at least a bit on a small scale. I like to believe I'd keep in in check, and live simply though.

·
Infractionated
I drive a blue tricycle with a gold bell.
8,597 Posts
I'd 100% prefer to work, but in something interesting. If money wasn't an issue, I could take bigger, but more interesting risks in that respect. I'd quite like that.
Oh god.... I'd 100% be one of those ultra wealthy people that has a career as an eccentric hobby. :LOL:

·
Registered
11,119 Posts
Friend of mine said she would probably start by paying people to leave her alone, and then once she had the decks cleared, start repopulating them with new friends. Says making friends from scratch is too much work at her age so she'll just get some store-boughten ones.

I'd worry a lot about during into a jerk, probably. Pre covid I would have wanted to spend some time as a full-time art tourist... I could see myself buying a place in London and living in it for a few years, just to get to every single museum and gallery I've ever heard of.

And I think I would do a pilgrimage for my dad. When I re-found him in 2017, he was absolutely serious at 92 about going to England to see Nelson's ship at Portsmouth. He would have done it too, if left in peace. Was saving up money, and had his passport and everything underway. Me and my sister were working on it from both ends when that [blank blank blank] and her daughter abducted him and drove him temporarily mad.

After he recovered from that and by the time he was finally safe to go home, that window was closed.

I think I would go for his sake, if I had the option. Pack his ashes under one arm and strew them into the harbour or something, for him.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
After redistributing the vast majority of it, I'd simply live free to do what I want:

I'd write full time, instead of squeezing it in when I can.

I'd travel a lot more, including at some point in the near future a six month start off and see where I end up journey. You know drive one direction, see some places in my country I'd like to see, perhaps then a cruise across the ocean and wander from place to place there. Yeah.

Oh, I'd buy some stuff, but overall big expensive toys don't appeal to me. Just by looking at me people would not know I had lots of money.

Maybe buy lots of the great natural sites in my region and set them up in conservation, so they can't be ruined by development.

I'd take a decent chunk or several chunks and hide treasure troves in several places, and put out clues for people to go on treasure hunts and have adventure(been on a couple myself, and they're fun, regardless of not finding the stash).

Yeah, it's not the wealth but the financial freedom to live day to day as I please that would appeal to me.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I would start my own tech company to build cleaning and gardening robots and drones.

Create a vegetarian chain restaurant run by robots, with delivery drones.. each restaurant would be next to a vertical farm also automated.

Develop high refresh rate screens with e-ink display to replace all the backlit stuff we have now.

Start an organic farm for fruits that I like and make it available across US supermarkets-- fruits like lychee, sugar apple, the bananas and mangos they have in southeast Asia, etc.

I'd trade in my car for a Tesla Model X.

And then I'll donate the rest to build the infrastructure for people who need drinking/clean water.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts