Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in INTP, but I would be very interested to hear from the type who asked me the question, your thoughts much appreciated:

Rather macabre question born out of a conversation as we heard that someone had to have "that chat" with a consultant about their dad.

My (ESTJ) colleague asked me, if you had a finite amount of time to live, would you want to know? Take any scenario you want, such as you know you are seriously unwell and you sense that probably you have not long to live, would you want to know how long?

If you do want to know, or have that "inkling" what would you do in the time you had left?

I couldn't reply at the time, and I am still thinking about a response, but what are your thoughts?

BTW my colleague stated she wouldn't, but we didn't have a chance to talk about it further.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do my best to live my life to the fullest as it is and to experience absolutely everything that I can... I'd just spend more time with my family and volunteer as much as I could- stay out of debt so my family wouldn't have to pick up after my irresponsibilities...
But key question - would you want to know if you had a finite time to live, would you want to know, and how long?

·
Banned
459 Posts
Depends, you know. Is it because of cancer or something and it can't be changed? Or is it just when I'll die if I keep going down the road I'm on? If there was the slightest chance of changing it, I'd put on my war paint.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Absolutely. I'd want to know exactly how much time I have left. I think I'd roll with it. I'd make sure all the paperwork is in order and talk to everyone I care about. I'd quit my job, maybe travel with friends and family if they're free. I already live with little regrets, so it's not like I'd be too depressed to go.

Edit: My sociology class Death and Dying helped put this topic into perspective. I've thought a lot about how I'd like to go.

·
MOTM July 2010
4,596 Posts
If someone ask, do you want to know how much longer you can live, I'll answer "yeah, sure".

If he answer "6 months", I'll answer "okay."

What will I do next? I will continue to live my life like I'm gonna live longer than that. I'm too optimistic to be put down by such 'verdict'.

Reactions: Coburn
1 - 8 of 8 Posts