Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
regarding work, I always kinda felt like the kid in the book The Giver... I am not really sure what would be the ideal.

I suppose I would like to have a business that produces software (not consulting). That way, I can do things my way, without having to pull strings and or try to explain complex things to clients that can't understand it.

9,999 Posts
I have only been employed two years full-time and another two part-time - right after uni while setting up my own business. I've been self-employed for a decade now.

...oops! Forgot to add what I do. I'm a translator. It's not a dream job or anything, but it pays the bills. My dream job would be to be a successful author with a comfortable income from books and zero public relations liabilities (book tours, talks, interviews, what have you).

·
MOTM January 2013
10,639 Posts
Maybe one of these things.

A kooky, community based cafe. It would be filled with wall to wall bookshelves. Maybe there would be other single small business owners such as a resident tattoo artist, general artists, it might be one of those cat cafe's.

The main thing is that it benefits the community though.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Aerospace Engineering firm :D
Working on that already its just slow slow slow, right now there is no profit from it though, so not yet self employed.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love having tea parties so I can picture myself having a tea house with cute vintage decor and pretty cups etc. When I was a kid there was this tea place that had hats and shawls and things to do old fashioned photos as well which was really fun, so I can also see that as a feature of my tea shop, I love dressing people up and I love taking photos too.

At a renaissance fair near us there's a booth with costumes you can rent and a lady helps you get all dressed up, I can totally see myself doing something like that given how much fun I have dressing up my friends and loaning out my costumes.

And I also love playing with hair, but I hate hair spray and such, so I can see myself having a natural/hypo-allergenic hair salon, perhaps geared towards children and making sure the elaborate braids and buns and things stay up comfortably with minimal pins or gels etc.

·
Registered
664 Posts
The most likely situation of me being self-employed would be private practice counseling, but I'm extremely unlikely to get enough education for that. So with that in mind, probably something like part-time selling crafts or something, but I'm not good enough at any single craft I just do a little of all of them. Though self-employment would fix a lot of my problems, I don't think I could do it and be very successful. A lot of responsibility and discipline, and I can't even read a chapter from a textbook while I'm home, let alone work from home. I have to stay on campus to get anything done.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Have been self-employed for the last 5 years, but am starting a job in a few weeks. Wondering how that would be! It's right up my alley so I'm looking forward.

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Registered
214 Posts
LSD cook
Owner/head brewer of a craft brewery
Paid layabout
Lighting artist
Novelist if I had the patience

·
Banned
326 Posts
I've been doing some freelance editing work within the last 2 months for a friend but it's slow going because of health problems. They say I am somewhat good at the editing and should consider making it a career but I'm not sure. I am passionate about writing though.

The other idea I was thinking about was using what I learned in college (business school) and running my own small business. Making my own logo and everything. I thought about running a food cart or stall where I sell food I cooked with TLC.

I also considered an Etsy shop to sell small crafted things and flower arranging.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I have a rather elaborate plan, Ni has gone crazy:)

Just a snippet of it, it involves fixing up some of my most beloved architecture anywhere (along the Brenta) and starting an arts school (architecture, any design, music, performing arts, etc.)
(I'm studying architecture, and particularly am interested in combining old and new, and restoration and such).

It fits with my passion for architecture, for that place in the world, my long long back family connection there, my greatest love of all the arts, promoting the arts, and quality education.

I also would love to start a vegetarian restaurant that's absolutely quality fine dining. There is no reason that can't exist. I want to promote vegetarianism and show people how very good it can be (my father is a great cook, that's not his job (he's actually an architect too), but with me being a vegetarian we've come up with so many good and new things). Of course, dealing with running a restaurant wouldn't be my forte. Maybe a cookbook?

An author is absolutely something I want to be, at least on the side:)

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Training health care workers to deal with chronically ill using non-allopathic tools such as mindfulness meditation; also, how to accept what cannot be changed while freeing up energy for what can be improved. Empathy exercises, including bringing live plants, companion animals and full-spectrum and low lighting (not florescent) into homes... and so much more that standard medicine makes no room for.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Something to do with either Therapy or Personal Training, both are pretty high in my interest at the moment and they're definitely not out of the window for me.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts