Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you wish you would have been spending your days differently, in comparison to the life you are currently living..?

I was just thinking about this today during my drive home from school.. We live our lives, do our jobs, maintain our households.. I think people tend to lose sight of what is truly important to us because we don't take into consideration that tomorrow is not promised

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I've always loved the idea of the Eternal Recurrence.

Some would say that it is depressing and would lead to nihilism. However, I find that the idea that every minute of every hour of every day will be relived by you over and over and over life-affirming. It means you have to live life with passion and zeal; that you cannot take any time for granted.

The greatest weight.-- What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: "This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more; and there will be nothing new in it, but every pain and every joy and every thought and sigh and everything unutterably small or great in your life will have to return to you, all in the same succession and sequence - even this spider and this moonlight between the trees, and even this moment and I myself. The eternal hourglass of existence is turned upside down again and again, and you with it, speck of dust!" Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus?... Or how well disposed would you have to become to yourself and to life to crave nothing more fervently than this ultimate eternal confirmation and seal?

This is from Nietzsche's The Gay Science

·
Registered
🚀
10,043 Posts
Would you wish you would have been spending your days differently, in comparison to the life you are currently living..?

I was just thinking about this today during my drive home from school.. We live our lives, do our jobs, maintain our households.. I think people tend to lose sight of what is truly important to us because we don't take into consideration that tomorrow is not promised

·
Registered
103 Posts

Its something I think about everyday, and also during my drives to and fro school....

The question I asked myself was if I had 4 hours, what would I do...Then, I realized, what was most important to me was to be back home...I'd have to book a flight, but that would take an 11 hours flight. yes, family is important to me, I realized, and my friends back there. But my ambition lies here...So I am striving for my dream here...but if there's anything, friends and family are more important than this dream of mine.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I would book a flight so fast that my computer keyboard would melt from the fast typing. That's all really.
I'd build a personal teleporter within the hour. You can borrow it so you don't have to melt your keyboard. :3

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
Intriguing thought....

1. Confess everything I've ever done in my life.
2. Eat my favorite meal.
3. Read some favorite chapters from my vast library.
4. Go swimming one last time.
5. Get some plaster for a death mask.
6. Talk to everyone I know, and tell them not to waste their life.
7. Listen to some solemn hymns, and chorals to soothe my heart.
8. Make love one last time.
9. Give away all my possessions.
10. Write down my last words of wisdom.
11. Say goodbye to loved ones.
12. Prepare myself for afterlife through prayer and meditation.
13. Die.

Fin.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I've always loved the idea of the Eternal Recurrence.

Some would say that it is depressing and would lead to nihilism. However, I find that the idea that every minute of every hour of every day will be relived by you over and over and over life-affirming. It means you have to live life with passion and zeal; that you cannot take any time for granted.

The greatest weight.-- What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: "This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more; and there will be nothing new in it, but every pain and every joy and every thought and sigh and everything unutterably small or great in your life will have to return to you, all in the same succession and sequence - even this spider and this moonlight between the trees, and even this moment and I myself. The eternal hourglass of existence is turned upside down again and again, and you with it, speck of dust!" Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus?... Or how well disposed would you have to become to yourself and to life to crave nothing more fervently than this ultimate eternal confirmation and seal?

This is from Nietzsche's The Gay Science
I would consider as one of the worst forms of torture, only because I would die of boredom for having to repeat again what I already did, no wonder I'm a 7w6.

In my case I don't think I would regret most of my life, only a few details I would've liked to have happened different, mostly I would regret the things I haven't done yet, experience things I haven't. This comes again from my type 7 enneagram.

·
Premium Member
15,511 Posts
You mean only I am going to be the one to die? Well, that sucks. For some reason, don't ask me why, my interpretation was that the world was ending & everyone would be expiring @ the same time.

I make one call to parents to tell them Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. I spend last day on earth with husband probably no different than any other day except I prob. don't even turn on computer.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
If I knew I was going to die within in 24 hours, I'd be content with everything I've done. I've loved, laughed, grieved, and tried leaving this world a better place. Not everything I've done has been with the best intentions or brought about the best of consequences. In the end, I've made my mark and that's enough.

Buuuuuuttttttt even though tommorrow isn't guaranteed I still live like it is. I have quite a bit more to look forward too.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I would consider as one of the worst forms of torture, only because I would die of boredom for having to repeat again what I already did, no wonder I'm a 7w6.

In my case I don't think I would regret most of my life, only a few details I would've liked to have happened different, mostly I would regret the things I haven't done yet, experience things I haven't. This comes again from my type 7 enneagram.
And I think this is the beauty of the Eternal Recurrence. The fact that you have to live your life over again means that right now, at this minute, you are given the motivation to want to live a life full of passion and little regrets. You are the master of your story; you create the life you believe is worth reliving.

The way I interpret the Eternal Recurrence is that it is an attempt to covet life as opposed to casting off the greatness of life, and getting people discontinuing to believe that all good things come after-death. If you only had one chance to control the course of life, people would want utilize their full potential to find meaning inherent in this lifetime since there would be no afterlife.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'd probably hunt down my first love and invite her to spend the day in bed with me for lots of joyous, tearful love making, talking, eating and then more love making in the crumbs! Strange really because we would never have had a successful relationship in the long term and I don't regret not being with her now at all, but it would just be such a lovely thing to do.....oh and I'd like to have a nice walk and a long, hot deep bath with her too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You mean only I am going to be the one to die? Well, that sucks. For some reason, don't ask me why, my interpretation was that the world was ending & everyone would be expiring @ the same time.
I do the same!
I often daydream about the end of the world. I wonder not only about what I would do, but how would everybody else cope. Would there be chaos, plundering, murders and such? Or maybe everybody would stop give a crap about all that divides us and just be together at this one big party, the first and the last time?

And what if the asteroid or whatever, misses? Would everything go back to its sorry state?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Be honest people. You would propably just lay in bed and cry for 24 hours. I know I would. ;)

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I think if the human life span were significantly shorter (maybe 40-50 years), people would spend more time doing things that really matter. Most people assume that they will live until they are 80 years old, making time more of a thing to "kill" rather than to cherish.

I wish I knew my expiry date so I could truly appreciate the limited time I have left. Being a smoker, although significantly reducing my life span, hasn't guaranteed anything (dark humor...:crazy:)

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I would be totally crushed and depressed if I found this out. I would feel so cheated and resentful, especially being pregnant with my first kid. I would feel cheated for my son who would probably not survive my death, and if he did, he would grow up without me. That makes me so sad, I feel like crying.

No, i would not take the news well. I would probably cry and get angry and try to stop death in any way I could.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I would freeze myself in a cryogenic pod with an encrypted pass code that can only be attained through deciphering a much more complex code which I will have already placed in my short autobiography. Whenever that someone is able to crack the codes and access my body which had been frozen in time, I will know that he/she is a highly intelligent, persevering individual who is already well acquainted with me (through reading and analyzing my autobiography), and interested in me enough to release me from my cold prison cell.
I will then spend my remaining 24 hours with that person.

·
Registered
17,197 Posts
I don't think i'd be doing anything too crazy when faced with my own mortality.
Probably write a lot about what my thoughts are before I die, getting to share where my head was at when I realised this was it.
I probably say a lot of sincere things for my friends and family, letting them know that I am grateful for the things we shared together. The positive effects people had on me and maybe my own thoughts of advice something to make them feel better and love who they are according to my perspective.

Probably play some guitar, I really don't think i'd go out trying to sleep with someone even though i've never had sex. There'd be a curiosity but I ain't about to just stick it in any girl just because i'm about to die.
Probably have mum and dad cook up and awesome meal for me, like a good roast or something. Then lay out the plans for my funeral.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts