Personality Cafe banner

If you were Batman would you kill the joker?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes or no, and why?

·
Registered
139 Posts
The bat man plays with joker for the same reason the joker plays with the bat man. Come on, that's like, Newton's Third Law! Get on my level!
But really, Batman's own sense of right/wrong and heroic insprations, background, and motivations, just scream never. If I killed the joker, that would be a betrayal of the batman persona. Even if I thought it would be right to to kill a man in any case (I really don't), I would not kill the joker. It would be better to reform him, if anything.
Just like Discord in MLP.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Batman is a moral absolutist who is strongly against (extrajudicial) killing. So no.

But if he was accidentally killed while I was trying to apprehend him, in spite of my best efforts, I wouldn't feel the least bit bad about it.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
The only reason Batman doesn't kill Joker is because Batman is aware of his mental illness, which is the key factor that distinguishes him from the rest of his usual villains. Batman is conscious enough of himself to know that if he kills Joker, he will go about to kill every other supervillain on the planet. It's interesting that he fights the urge so hard, for when an alternate universe version of him finally killed all of them, it ushered in an era of global peace and prosperity. I'd personally kill Joker for the same reasons Batman fantasizes about killing him. The man is just a monster. In the Pre-52, the man killed the second Robin, crippled Batgirl, killed Gordon's wife, and is responsible for the deaths of thousands. Even other Arkham Asylum patients hate him. There's also no hope to cure the guy for he's so twisted, doctors diagnosed him with everything. He's a walking, talking DSM that also happens to enjoy murdering people and kicking puppies. Nothing less than an Act of God could cure this guy for more than five seconds...No, really. The Spectre, who is God's Wrath, was the only being to ever truly cure him.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
No, because the joker completes me and I complete the joker.

We are very different but very alike.

·
Banned
954 Posts
What you really mean is: would I kill the Joker if my brain were put in Bruce Wayne's body? Hell, yeah, I would kill the son of a bitch. The ends justify the means, and I can save a lot more lives from murder if I murder only once.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The whole point of batman, and similarly most super-heroes, is that even though they possess this immense power they are under the strict control of their own moral principles. Why do you think Batman left the league of shadows in the first place? He can't bear to take the life of another human being in the same way that his parent's lives were taken from him. If I were batman, I would not be able to bring myself to kill the joker, even if it was the correct logical decision.

Reactions: SisOfNight

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,504 Posts
Definitely not. Why would I, Batman, want to turn that rotten villain with the stupid grin into a martyr? Who needs to hear all of the Joker's cronies go on and on with endless eulogies at the Joker's memorial service? Besides, who would pay attention to me if my entertaining battles with the Joker suddenly ceased because the Joker was deceased?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just for future reference the point is not what or who batman is in terms of image, morals, etc. The question is if YOU were suddenly in Batman's position and had the opportunity to kill him would you? From what I perceive some of you are interpreting as "suddenly I'm batman, therefore I am everything batman including his morals."

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only reason Batman doesn't kill Joker is because Batman is aware of his mental illness, which is the key factor that distinguishes him from the rest of his usual villains. Batman is conscious enough of himself to know that if he kills Joker, he will go about to kill every other supervillain on the planet. It's interesting that he fights the urge so hard, for when an alternate universe version of him finally killed all of them, it ushered in an era of global peace and prosperity. I'd personally kill Joker for the same reasons Batman fantasizes about killing him. The man is just a monster. In the Pre-52, the man killed the second Robin, crippled Batgirl, killed Gordon's wife, and is responsible for the deaths of thousands. Even other Arkham Asylum patients hate him. There's also no hope to cure the guy for he's so twisted, doctors diagnosed him with everything. He's a walking, talking DSM that also happens to enjoy murdering people and kicking puppies. Nothing less than an Act of God could cure this guy for more than five seconds...No, really. The Spectre, who is God's Wrath, was the only being to ever truly cure him.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?p=PL35FE5C4B157509C9&feature=plpp&v=Mq8hGbeDvL8

Reactions: Caged Within

·
Registered
288 Posts
Just for future reference the point is not what or who batman is in terms of image, morals, etc. The question is if YOU were suddenly in Batman's position and had the opportunity to kill him would you? From what I perceive some of you are interpreting as "suddenly I'm batman, therefore I am everything batman including his morals."
Well, I really meant what I said.

Obviously, I am not Batman per se, but in some ways I think like him, including not wanting to kill, particularly not wanting to kill the Joker.

Surely, it made things easier if he was dead and maybe it would be even "just", however I would not want to decide what is "right" or "wrong" when I was in Batman's position.
Moreover, I don't believe in the saying "an eye for an eye" - killing someone because they killed many others.

Sometimes you have to transcend mere "fairness", as Harvey Dent's (in the Nolan film) superficial reason for killing was - the real one was simply revenge. In regards to "bringing justice" I believe one should not include passionate emotions of revenge.

People who believe in the death penalty seem so "cold" and "determined" but in truth they feel highly hurt and are frightened when they know of people like the Joker "who do not get what they deserve".
As the people who were killed by the Joker do not "deserved" to be killed, so does not the Joker.

No living being deserves to be killed - nor do they "deserve" to be alive.

·
Registered
285 Posts
No. Because if I WAS Batman that would mean that I would be... Batman. Which means I would have his rule about not killing people. Just like if I was Hitler, I would have a small prejudice against Jews.

btw I accidentally put yes when I meant to put no. Oops.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Not at all. Everyone needs an arch nemesis, and Batman is no different~

·
Registered
109 Posts
No. Isn't he that way because of his mental illness? I wouldn't feel comfortable about killing anyone, let alone someone with a severe mental health issue. He's probably just as much a victim (to his brain) as his victims.
I would try to get him rehabilitated or something.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Quick and quiet -or slow and with a bang-, I don't really care how but I would put a stop to this psychopath's actions once and for all. If not for the thousands of deaths he caused (and will cause), then at least as a personal vengeance for how he made the people I care about suffer so much. I will never tolerate that; not in hypothetical situations, not in real situations.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Rehabilitation has already been tried. Hello, Arkham? Harley Quinn, how's it going....
No one "needs" an arch nemesis, unless they are dramatic. End it quietly, in the shadows, so he doesn't become an inspiration.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts