Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
THE IRON GIANT
10,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first joined this forum I took my first ever MBTI test and came up as an ESTJ. I have since tested as ISTJ most often, but also ISFJ, ESFJ, ESTJ, and even ENFP. Cognitively, Si- or Te-dom have tended to make the most sense, though I do sometimes behave a lot like a stressed out INFP.

I find that ISTJ profiles fit me best, but am working on learning JCF so I can feel more confident in my type.

In terms of enneagram, I believed I was 6w5 when I joined, but later learned I am 6w7.

If you've ever been mistyped, tell me about it here.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Haha I've mistyped so much since secondary school, when I ran into the enneagram and hit depression!

Enneagram mistypes:
2w3
3w2
4w5
6w7
7w6
7w8
1w2
5w4
5w6

Now: I'm sure I'm a 9w8 after years of working it out and finally reaching a more stable place.

MBTI mistypes:
INTJ
INTP
ENFP
ENFJ
ESFP
ISTP

Now: I'm pretty sure I'm an ISFP (at least 100% on the ISFx bit).

I think most of my mistyping was depression and growing up in a strange/scary environment (it was normal but not to me).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Online tests have typed me all over the place (ENTJ, INTP, INTJ, ENTP). The first professional test I took actually typed me correctly (ENTP) but I did not believe it (as I found it hard to accept that I am an "Extrovert". I didn't know much about MBTI at the time.), and the second too (interviewing for a job), but they said it was not usable due to my extreme high IQ score (not bragging. I don't feel that it is that useful for much except filling in IQ tests) witch I found interesting.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I found it funny that when i first took the test i was an ENFP (I was in a very happy place at the time). I later retook it and got INTJ (mind you i was rather cynical that time around * no offence to all the intj's*). Finally i retook it a bunch more times and after ALOT of lurking and feeling myself out im 100% sure im an INFP my 4w5 was also always a certain.

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,504 Posts
I've been mistyped repeatedly!
I've gotten ESTJ, INFP, ISFP, ENFJ, and ESFP.
Oh, ESFP is probably the right one.
But who knows?
I guess I'll keep it.

Reactions: Stephen

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,504 Posts
Oh, and the enneagram...
I get a different type every time I take the test.
I've gotten 7, 4, and 9 at random times.
I really am clueless.

Reactions: Stephen

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
When I first came to this forum, more or less because I was focusing on who I wanted to be - which was the stereotypical ESFP. I have come to terms with the fact that that is not who I am though. I remember back when I wanted to be an ESFP and my family and friends continuously typed me INTP/IxTJ/ExTJ and I hated it, but not so much now that I have gained some self-awareness and have stopped focusing on who I want to be as opposed to who I really am.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
MBTI mistypes:

Initially typed as an INTP. Figured out I wasn't as prone to use logic as a compass, thus INFP.

Lots of denial over the fluffy hippie stereotype, made me want a more direct, manly role, thus, I went as INFJ.

Then, I got a bit of confidence, and thought I could be an extrovert. ENFJ it was.

But finally I took a time to learn more about myself, and went back as an INFP, which is probably my type.

Enneagram mistypes:

I didn't care much about the enneagram. My first test got me pegged as a 5w4. It was by the time I thought to be INTP.

Then time passed, and I thought to be a 6w5. It was roughly during the time I thought to be INFJ.

And as soon as I finally came back, I typed as 9w1. So far, I think it's accurate.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I've mentioned before that I mistyped myself as an INFP at first, before I learned that having strong emotions is not even remotely the same as being a Feeler. As for the Enneagram, I still don't know what to classify myself as, but I've identified as a 5 and a 9 before, so simple logic indicates that I've been mistyped at some point.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
When I first discovered mbti I would always type as INFP. After learning functions I noticed that Fi-users were being called "selfish" and I don't view myself as a selfish person. I believed for the longest time I was an Fe-user. I mistyped as INFJ and ENFJ during the battle of extroverted vs introverted. Then I went all over the board, I could be this, no I could be this... Then I took a step back from it all and said, "why am I killing myself over this?" I put so much pressure on myself to "make the final decision". Now I'm just taking my time and learning functions without subjective opinions and without stereotypes. At the end I'm pretty sure it will end up right back where I started with INFP. Though, I haven't changed my Jung type on PerC because I refuse to be subjected to others claiming to know my motives in life due to whatever type I'm listed as. At some point when I'm completely sure that I am indeed INFP or not, I may change it.

As for enneagram mistypes, I first mistyped as 4w5 because it's what I tested as. I was just learning and hadn't done any concrete research past my test results. When I started getting more and more into enneagram theory I realized that I was most likely a core 6 and I'm still not sure of my wing. Like Stephen said in his post, at first I was sure I was a 6w5 but now I'm leaning toward 6w7. I'd love to find out more key differences between the two wings. I'm still not sure of my tri-type though I would love eventually find out what it is. I'm pretty sure my instinctual variants are sp/sx; I have never mistyped those.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
MBTI:

Originally typed as ESTP. Spent about a week exploring that and realized no way in hell.

Moved on to ENTP, which fit, but not in the right ways (think the stepsisters trying on the shoe in the original Cinderella story).

Actually bothered to read the JCF descriptions and found ESTJ.

ENNEAGRAM:

Still hunting on this. I've never typed on a test anything other than 8w7, and for a long time I thought I was that.

Then the Easter Bunny came along and whispered sweet logical nothings about type 3. So I hopped over, skimmed around, and decided to settle in. Bad choice. I quickly backpeddled out of that misconception.

Am currently vascillating between type 1 and type 8.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I get INTP on every test I take (and based on idiotic J/P stereotypes, people seem to be quick to declare me an INTP around here as well). The tests have never ever worked for me. I have completely given up on them and had about 2 or 3 months into my earliest explorations of typology. I always found the tests incredibly hard to take, since the questions are not context-based enough. Since I've found Jung and any typology models with enough Jungian integrity, I can never go back to the shallowness that is MBTI tests and type descriptions.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I never really mistyped with my MBTI type. I've always been IxTP. I've tested as both ISTP and INTP when I first got into personality typing. (I no longer take tests anymore, because I know the rationale behind the questioning...so the tests cannot be reliable.)

For Enneagram, I tested as 5w6. Then I doubted that and tried out a few other types, and I've been thinking I was a 9w8 for about a year. But I started doubting that a couple months ago, and now I'm tentatively trying out 5w6 again. The more I learn about Enneagram, I always need to readjust my view of it. There are so many facets.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Initially typed as INFP...then figured I may be misunderstanding introversion so I typed ENFP. Later on I became healthyer and settled on ANFP. After that I thought maybe I'm INFJ after all. Then I went back to INFP, then ENFP again, then it became clear to me that the dreamy and emotional INFP forums didn't mirror my often very T-ish way of being, so I contemplated being some type of T, which also didn't really feel right.

<.<...I went with "unknown" for a while and then back to INFP, but it still doesn't feel right. Something is just off about it.

The enneagram was quicker. I thought I was a 4w5, then a 9w1, then tried 2 on for size :p..then 5 and finally got convinced I'm 6w7.

I'm still unsure if I'm a unhealthy SO variant or Sp first *shrug*...people and me, we don't get along well enough. I like my independence too much and hate it when others get clingy.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
My very first test came back ISTP, 52% on the S. At the time I knew nothing of MBTI or functions, so a quick read of a couple of profiles was all that was required to call myself an INTP for months. After a while on INTPforum I was curious about other types and came here, to see just how bad INTPs social skills really are.

Using my lack of knowledge I quickly realised I'm too nice to be a T and labeled myself INFP. But then the INFP section was too depressing, I couldn't fix everyone so I wanted out and began to actually read a about the functions. Result? I'm too nice to be Fi dom but I'm definitely an introvert, I care about the feelings of others so I must be an INFJ. Further reading suggested I'm a T, but I don't have emotional outbursts so I can't be IXTP so I'll keep the change small and be an INTJ. This was probably when I was the happiest I've been in my life for years and although the profiles didn't fit great I could live with that. But my desire to help others type themselves encouraged me to keep researching, and I became sure I wasn't a Te user.

Then I gave up on reading online and bought a book which I read cover to cover, then lived, then re-read some sections. I decided I was an ISFJ in an SI-Ti loop, a 100% functional switch from my previous INTJ. That lasted until Christmas which showed that my increased extraversion in the hope of developing my dormant Fe had failed. So many silly (illogical) things go on at this time of year.

If I was capable of erasing all I know about MBTI and functions and starting again now I would do so, I can't even find half the useful posts I think I read so they were probably the content of my dreams. Handy...

Now I couldn't care less what my type is, I'd just like to know. Being incapable of deciding isn't doing my confidence any good.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Oh, on the topic of enneagram also, I, amazingly, never mistyped on it ever. In fact, I found my core type on the first day I explored the enneagram 3 years ago - it was just like "Duh!" obvious to me (I really couldn't find much I could relate to in the rest), and is very likely the source of me always mistyping as an INTP, since INTPs tend to be among the most common enneagram 5 types out there. 3 years later (so, this year-ish), I finally settled, after very vague speculation and hunches for a long time, that I'm a 5w4 with a 1 gut fix.

·
Ace of Spades
7w6 4w3 1w9 sp/so; Ni/Ne/Te-dom
3,253 Posts
Tests are garbage, but as far as they go, I used to get INTP in high school. In university I would always score INTJ (which just goes to show how much environment affects your perception of yourself). Upon discovering cognitive functions, I confirmed that I am Ni-dom. However, I am much too enthusiastic, bold, vivacious, and domineering to be an Introvert. I think my inferior Fi was my blind spot, thinking that I had strong Fi, and not realizing it was strong in a negative way to other people. I also confused my Se-Ni combo for Ne. ENTJ fits well, minus all the stereotypes (eww, business, eww, managing people!)

Similar story with Enneagram. I was influenced by negative stereotypes and I oscillated between 5w4 and 8w9, realizing finally I'm a true 7w6.

I think most, almost all people mistype at some point. The key is to be open to changing what you think your type is, and having no negative biases against types, and no damn idolization!

·
Registered
NiTe 549
5,321 Posts
I always type as an INTP, on any test, even though Ni-dom seems to explain me a lot better. I retook Nardi's cognitive functions test lately and got INTP AGAIN, despite my reported second highest functions, right underneath Ti, being Ni and Te in that order, and the overall pattern seeming to better fit some kind of N-dom, with my N and T scores really close, then both F scores average to low, Si equal to Fe, and Se score almost nonexistent. (Ti > Ni > Te> Ne > Fi > Fe = Si > Se)

I am always put off by Feeling questions, but in reality I probably have my fair share of value-oriented thinking. It just doesn't manifest in ways that seem consistent with tests.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts