Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wondered about this and I think I might get it now. Specifically I wondered about how I as an One (and many others too) have a problem with the term "rules", which wie are said to heavily care about. Ones are that way often described similar to Sixes, which makes sense cause they are both mainly struggling with their Super Egos. However, the struggle is really different which lies in the difference between a Gut- and a Head-Super Ego type. Like Eights, Ones are their own authority (contrary to Six, who fail to make themselves their authority). Eights let their Id rule them though, which seems more in tune with being a Gut type. One is basically the Super Ego-Eight. Meaning, they are their own authority, but they don't use denial to justify their self-rightousness, like an 8, they use their Super Ego to actually feel rightfully self-rightousness. And because the Super Ego, like any Ego, is in its essence reality distorting and just self created by the mind/fear (which is the reason why being a Gut- and not Head-Super Ego type can be a little confusing), the problems of the One occure. Namely rigidness and hypocrisy. Ones as frustration-types deal with idealisation, and they idealise " shoulds". Those are the rules. And those rules can be very literal. However, it's your own rules. They may parallel to societys or whoever others rules, but they don't have to, since as a Gut type, Ones decide this for themselves.

Now Personality types / Cognitive functions come in. The typical for One would be Extraverted Thinking, and I think thats why so many sites, articles, etc. use the word rules, because thats the most Te-ish thing a Te-1s Super Ego would go for. However, Ones also correlate with Feeling types, which reveal the idealistic nature of Ones more clearly, but while Fe due to its extroverted nature may still come to terms better with the word "rules", Fi is so subjektive and self created that the word doesn't resonate at all. However, an IFP One struggles with the exact same problem as an ETJ One, it's just that the word "rules" fails to capture the essence of Ones rigidness.

Sooo, I wanted to know, to see if I get support for my theory, if the Ones that had trouble with seeing themselves rule-following etc happen to be Fi using Ones?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am Te ESTJ. I have a problem with the term rules myself. and duties or whatever it is called I think for me I follow rules so much that it's like it's just doing the right thing right? I do it because it's the right thing I guess rules are there and I don't oppose them but I don't see myself as especially rule following. I tend to play within perimeters though so definitely rule following. I don't know what other words to use either, though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts