Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have an infp friend thats realy suffering with depression hes been in and out of hospitals,psychologists and medication,what are some things you infps do when feeling depressed.it would help alot

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hiii naren~

This is a stupid question, but depression as in the loss/absence of vitality right? Not like overwhelming constant sadness/anxiety although we can toss those into the mix as well. Assuming all of that:

Basics like diet/nutrition, movement/play/exercise, sunlight exposure, sleep, routine/structure/habit, those cultivate foundation to fight depression. (endorphins, serotonin, body balance, etc.)

That routine should minimize the need to exercise thought/willpower. Make it easy to follow. Extra prepare/simplify. It should also cultivate success in tiny goals.

Kill as many Automatic Negative Thoughts as possible. Auto-suggestion helps.

Supplementation: I took things like L-Phenylalanine/DLPA, Zhou Nutrition Calm Now, Fish Oil (specifically Flameout), Tulsi Holy Basil, Ashwagandha, etc. I didn't really seek advice on specific, proper supplementation though, I just went for it and hoped for the best.

https://www.amazon.com/Soothing-Supplement-Positive-Serotonin-Ashwagandha/dp/B01ETQXMM8
https://www.amazon.com/SOURCE-NATURALS-Dlpa-Tablet-Count/dp/B004GW9L9E/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1514576690&sr=1-1&keywords=DLPA
https://www.amazon.com/ORGANIC-INDIA-Tulsi-Supplement-Vegetarian/dp/B003PGFSW6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1514576722&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=tulsi+holy+basil&psc=1&smid=AAC6484LE47H0

Full smile, diaphragm breaths, eye gazing myself in a mirror for fifteen minutes or so. (Picked this up from Tony Robbins)

Variety, or any new experience.

Later on, I started trying out gratitude. Trying out dumb reasons to be appreciative. Feels good, especially in those random lucky moments when I felt genuine gratitude.

Hope this helps, Naren! Wishing your INFP friend all the best~ :heart:

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
depends on the kind of depression : situational, chemical imbalance, psychosis, etc.

NSAID's has nearly cured mine, it was a major personal life changing discovery. Chronic inflamation in the body and brain has been shown recently shown to be one (of the many) causes for chronic depression.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I will try to distarct myself.
It doesnt matter how.Sometimes i will read or listen to music or talk with friends and generally i try to stay positive and not think about it.
Im sorry for your friend i hope she gets better soon. :concern:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I guess I personally just don't deal at all. The presence of negative emotions is paralyzing on everything. I try to watch movies, and get as immersed as possible with things but in this day and age it's hard to try to focus on one thing. Every mistake seems to pile on, I'm always being held accountable for things in the past. I go into these stages where I just feel down in the dumps.

This site explains it better.

How Each Myers-Briggs Type Deals with Depression

https://www.quora.com/Out-of-all-possible-MBTI-types-which-have-the-highest-rates-of-depression

Apparently my type is prone to depression and I honestly agree and understand why.

·
Registered
82 Posts
ok i have an infp friend thats realy suffering with depression hes been in and out of hospitals,psychologists and medication,what are some things you infps do when feeling depressed.it would help alot
Honestly just be there for them. When they want to talk, talk to them. Initiate positive interactions. Don't overdo it but just don't forget about them. Remind him every once in a while that you care. People are so quick to give up on others, you just need to be an exception.

Reactions: naren

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Not well, but better than I used to. I don't drink or do drugs or sleep around to cope with it anymore.

Like many will likely say, I try to take activities I most enjoy and do them profusely. It helps me to plan something big with those hobbies. For example I love to sing, so I talked to a guitarist friend about us doing an open mic and that's given me songs to memorize/a project to work on.

I also like improving my style, so I might go through Amazon and wish list things. In other words, ideally what I do is give myself things to look forward to, so I don't feel like all hope is lost for ever being happy again.

One other thing -- I don't know if this applies to everyone -- is I honestly cuddle with my boyfriend or a friend (whoever is available.) If you don't pick the right person, they might try to put the moves on you, and that just makes me feel a little worse. But when I really don't want to be alone, being that close to another human being in such a comforting setting definitely improves my mood.

I think the key when you're depressed is to fight your lack of motivation. You can sit around and say there's no point to anything until you're blue in the face, but I at least find that if I make myself get up and do something, I'll end up feeling differently than I thought I would.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I thought INFPs would wallow in depression. Just picturing Depression as a demon, I think if any type could/would communicate with it, it would be an INFP.

An ESFJ, for example, would probably do all they can to not think about it. They would set an alarm and force themselves out of bed, communicate with others to find a common ground with someone of a healthier mindset, all to bring structure and order into their life like a solid foundation to sustain themselves.

An INFP might do the opposite. Instead of swimming against the current, they will free-flow. The will see where the depression takes them, embrace it to understand it, accept it, then relax their weight to float to the surface. They will question it, ask themselves is this really them, have their relatives been through a similar mindset, where in their life had they gone wrong? Did their heart tell them to do something, but they ignored it? That to me sounds like the INFP approach to recovery: letting go of control; surrendering.

As an outsider, that probably sounds counter-intuitive and nonsensical; but, as people say about illnesses, they have to get worse in order to get better. Just reassure him that he's not going mad, there's nothing wrong with him, he's just a human like everybody else. If he has a dark sense of humour, laugh about death and how ridiculous life is in relation to it. There was an interview of John Cleese with Conan O'Brian about how Cleese kept his mother in good spirits with her depression:

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Really don't know if I would recommend wallowing in depression.

There's a difference between being sad and understanding the root of your sadness/learning from it, and being clinically depressed.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I wallow in it.. Regularly hit myself (Hammer fists to the face, whack my thighs or squeeze something sharp.. But I will never direct anger at anybody, they don't deserve it
I like to warm up milk, drop in a few pieces of chocolate and listen to some old Slim Shady or Kendrick Lamar if I need time to reflect and try to make myself feel better

·
Registered
302 Posts
I wallow in misery till I die, and next morning I start my life over again. I've died and reborn many times.
What I need in those moments is hope. Music, movies and exercise is what helps me.

Reactions: ShyEclipse12

·
Premium Member
15,280 Posts
If I had a major depressive attack where I could not function -- make an appointment with Doc, possible hospitalization.

For a mild depressive episode -- get in the sun (makes me feel better, sun does), seek a breezy perch in some Park or zoo or garden, load up on Vit D (AKA The Sunshine Vitamin), watch fav movies or fill my life with comedy. Get out of my own way (sometimes I can be my own worst enemy). :eek:h:

"Tomorrow is another day..." is also a good philosophy for me. Keep thinking toward the future. Rhett or Scarlet said that, sorry can't even remember now. Usually everything looks better as the sun rises in the morning.

·
Registered
44 Posts
when ive entered Fi-Si loops, i sit in my own head and i relive old things that happened and how i felt. Its fucking torture. Midshift at a job I was working I had to sit in a stairwell for an hour because I couldnt function. The best way to escape an Fi-Si loop is to use your Ne
When an INFP enters a loop, their Ne vanishes. Their power to see all the possibilities of the future before them are gone and they lose their fuel source for hope and foreseeing happiness in the times ahead. You need to use Ne to bust out of it, and its really not easy.

If i truely couldnt use my Ne, and I was looping and debilitatingly depressed, I would play nonstop hatsune miku to cover up the invasive thoughts of worthlessness. I also had anxiety no one loved me and I was a burden on my friends and that they didnt consider themselves to by my friends in their own eyes. If your INFP is taking time to talk things out with you about how they feel, be extremely reassuring that they are loved and valued and maybe try and paint them a picture of all the things that could be possible in their future that are positive

1 - 13 of 13 Posts