Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello out there. My sweetie is pretty depressed and has been working for his family and sorting through his past things because there is no longer room to store them there. He is 29, feels like a complete failure and spending time near his family, I think, is making it worse.

Partially because he was abused by his brother who was hit by a car and killed when he was a teen, and my sweetie was a pre-teen, just when their relationship was starting to get better. And my sweetie (I'll call him my SO, for Significant Other) feels like his family knew about it and never did anything to stop it from happening. They are very passive. And former Catholics, so that's the environment my SO grew up in - and even now he's overcome with guilt and regret.
Another thing that's going on at his family's is that his sister is neglecting her dog and his health is suffering. My SO is such a kind-hearted person and being around suffering animals, and seeing his sister turn a blind eye is too much for him to bear.

I've bee encouraging him to go to therapy and to get a job away from working for his family, but he keeps talking himself in circles. He says he can't go to therapy unless he has a job, and yet it seems that he can't get a job unless he goes to therapy. I wish it was easier to see a therapist that takes insurance for people with low incomes.

Anyways, there's more I can say, but I'm going to stop here and see if anyone has any advice. Thank you so much!

·
Banned
2,480 Posts
It does sound like he needs to have some distance from his family. Would it be possible for him to quit that job, & while he's looking for a new one, for you to support him financially? If you aren't working, could you get a job while he transitions? Another option would be, helping him look for a job, updating his resume, setting up interviews, online applications, etc... By helping to get the ball rolling for him, it may help him feel less overwhelmed.

Also states, do offer mental health therapy to low income families, here's a link for those in the U.S.: https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/find-help/index.shtml

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does sound like he needs to have some distance from his family. Would it be possible for him to quit that job, & while he's looking for a new one, for you to support him financially? If you aren't working, could you get a job while he transitions? Another option would be, helping him look for a job, updating his resume, setting up interviews, online applications, etc... By helping to get the ball rolling for him, it may help him feel less overwhelmed.

Also states, do offer mental health therapy to low income families, here's a link for those in the U.S.: https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/find-help/index.shtml
Thanks for the link. Yes, I've tried to help him with these things, but he's shied away from my help in these departments. I'm going to have a talk with him today to let him know that some things have to shift, or I'm not sure how long our relationship will last.

Reactions: Mmmm
1 - 3 of 3 Posts