Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused, all these years thinking I'm an INFJ, but after being tested by a professional I turn out an INTJ.

this is confusing for 2 reasons, one, I'm emotional although others don't see it. two, I like to think of myself as a gentle human being. :frustrating:

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
If you're emotional but others don't see it, that most likely, indeed, points towards tertiary Fi instead of auxiliary Fe. Fi is much more private and personal than Fe. It doesn't burst out like Fe, and isn't as obviously reactive to people's actions and needs. Which one do you use more? Do you prefer Ti or Te?

·
Registered
357 Posts
this is confusing for 2 reasons, one, I'm emotional although others don't see it. two, I like to think of myself as a gentle human being
I'm emotional and others don't see it, and I'm gentle...I suspect most of us (INTJs) are like that...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Being emotional has nothing to do with personality type. T's can be just as if not more emotional than F's.

The difference has to do with what comes first.

How you feel about something ----> Influences what you think about something
(Literal emotions and how you react to it, your first emotional impression)

OR

What you cognitively think about something ---------> dictates How you feel about it

TLDR: Emotional just means you are expressive

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If you're emotional but others don't see it, that most likely, indeed, points towards tertiary Fi instead of auxiliary Fe. Fi is much more private and personal than Fe. It doesn't burst out like Fe, and isn't as obviously reactive to people's actions and needs. Which one do you use more? Do you prefer Ti or Te?
I've always preferred predictability and people do seem to tell me I'm cold although I think I'm emotional. Ehh. Not sure about the functions but I was interviewed by someone after competing a questionnaire.. I'd also like to add im not that skilled with "people pleasing".. Which might be more feeling than thinking

·
Registered
INFJ 3w2 Sx/So
3,373 Posts
I stopped taking tests because I always get INTJ now. I can't know for certain in regards to you personally, but there is a decent chance that you're still an INFJ.

It's easy to get INTJs and INFJs confused because we share top and bottom functions (Introverted Intuition - Ni, and Extroverted Sensing - Se). However, there are some major, major difference that 8-functions savvy folks will be able to see. Here are some questions to ask yourself... (remember this as well: it's not so much as "what would you *choose*" as "what would initially appear to be the best option in your mind")

Feeling:
1. Do you value upholding personal convictions, or making decisions that seem to satisfy the majority? If the two were to conflict, what would you be more inclined to choose?
2. Are your feelings generally more concerned with your own interests, opinions, and principles, or the feelings of others? (think carefully about this one. Don't choose what's "ideal" to you, choose what's actually true about yourself)
3. Do you find yourself affected by emotions that others exhibit, or are your emotions and thoughts more grounded within yourself?

Thinking:
1. Would you say that you have difficulty externalizing your thoughts and opinions or implementing plans, or do you find this generally easy and enjoyable?
2. Would you find more enjoyment in breaking down a subject into its components and finer details, or learning how to use it in the real world?

A misconception that people have in regards to INFJs and INTJs is that the former is guided by their emotions, and the latter is all cold-hard logic. On the contrary, INFJs don't even really have much contact with our personal feelings most of the time. Our Extroverted Feeling means that emotions that we do have are generally more "shallow" -- for lack of a better term -- and more to do with the outside world (the people around us). Our emotions work more externally. We "use" our emotions, while INTJs "feel" theirs. INTJs just typically come off as colder because their feeling function is their third rather than their second, and their Extroverted Thinking is usually what they're going to be using and displaying. The INTJs that I know don't even want to touch their Fi because they have such a hard time understanding it and developing it, so it makes them come off as jerks, while they're actually pretty sensitive (and, if I'm going to be perfectly honest, sometimes "whiny") people.

INFJs are often described as the "Tst Fs", which only makes superficially distinguishing them from INTJs more confusing. We do value logic, and using it in support of Extroverted Feeling (a function that values group harmony and welfare) can actually make us more rational than an INTJ rather than less (they may be using their Te in order to achieve their Fi desires and ideals). Granted, if what the group wants is irrational, than that has more potential to lead us astray than it would for an INTJ. INTJs are typically going to be much more assertive in their thinking because it's an extroverted function, and it's usually the one that they're the most comfortable using. While INTJs generally have to work on being less rigid and considering the needs of others, INFJs have to work on sticking to their guns. Whatever you struggle with more out of those two will be a big help in determining which type you are.

I'm sorry for the ridiculous length of this post (it's an opportunity for me to use my Ti on a subject, and I love that stuff). I hope that it was helpful to you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm confused, all these years thinking I'm an INFJ, but after being tested by a professional I turn out an INTJ.

this is confusing for 2 reasons, one, I'm emotional although others don't see it. two, I like to think of myself as a gentle human being. :frustrating:
I have some T friends who I once mistook for Fs. I agree with the person who suggested testing for cognitive functions. It might also help to read about the subtypes, as those can lend a different flavor.

Besides, some of my T friends are outwardly more emotional than I am, when they do choose to express emotions, so I'm not sure if this is the best distinguisher. Try stepping back: NT vs NF. Which archetype is more relevant to you?

I'm an Ni subtype of INFJ and it can make me seem T, but I relate way more to NF than I do to NT.

·
Registered
235 Posts

Being an INTJ isn't that bad. Being female, you are actually rarer. Besides, we enjoy all the love and attention from all the NF's in our lives, so it's not all bad. :wink:

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts

You speak as if those two reasons you mention would contradict anything. I would say that I am both, so they don't. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You speak as if those two reasons you mention would contradict anything. I would say that I am both, so they don't. :)
grrr

the reason this confuses me is because I have DEEP emotions.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Being an INTJ isn't that bad. Being female, you are actually rarer. Besides, we enjoy all the love and attention from all the NF's in our lives, so it's not all bad. :wink:
feelers are sweet but I'm much more attracted to thinkers.. who knew.. it's because I'm one of them :laughing:

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
grrr

the reason this confuses me is because I have DEEP emotions.
INTJs aren't emotionless robots. I have deep feelings. You could even argue that INTJs almost feel things stronger sometimes because of the Ni-Fi loop. We explore events in our head again and again, especially emotionally loaded ones. We just don't like to show it to just anyone. ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
INTJs aren't emotionless robots. I have deep feelings. You could even argue that INTJs almost feel things stronger sometimes because of the Ni-Fi loop. We explore events in our head again and again, especially emotionally loaded ones. We just don't like to show it to just anyone. ;)
My ex was INTJ. In the beginning I thought he was emotionally cold (he didn't show he loved me etc). But later I understood that he is actually a super sensitive person. He could get upset for days if he believed I thought he was insensitive or something like that.
That's why I hate all this sterotyping of INTJ's being insensitive, villains etc. May be true for some, sure, but gives a wrong impression.
As an INFJ I think I was much more of the side of exploring events in my head over and over again though ;)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Introverted Feeling also develops close attachment to people, things, and places. Fi takes a considerable amount of time to form these bonds, but each day they grow stronger. Fe typically forms bonds much quicker, but the emotions do not tend to run as deep as Fi.

Introverted Feeling (Fi)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

Easy mistake, even for a professional.

Suggest you take the DNardi MBTI test --> Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes . (Hint: Omit choosing the middle choice as an answer to get a sharper result.) Besides personality type, the result includes a good cognitive functions profile. Please post your result including the cognitive functions profile.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
Easy mistake, even for a professional.

Suggest you take the DNardi MBTI test --> Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes . (Hint: Omit choosing the middle choice as an answer to get a sharper result.) Besides personality type, the result includes a good cognitive functions profile. Please post your result including the cognitive functions profile.
Took this test also, got INFP, but I am not surprised. Because I am generally much more joyous than most INFJs, and I rather go for happy stuff than brooding stuff... Or maybe I'm just not that healthy and I am seeking happy stuff to mend my wounds.

Fi(39.4)-Ne(36.6)-Si(35.6)-Te(29.8) - INFP (look at all that Te) :D

Ni(43.9)-Fe(27.7)-Ti(16.3)-Se(11.1) - INFJ (look at all that Ni and the utter lack of Se)

I know I am not INFP because I care too much for stuff in relation to people, and I monitor my reactions and body position in relation to the group. INFPs are notorious for having a bit more of an autistic attitude. I don't get depressed like INFPs when I don't create, rather I become brooding and try to find something else that I'm good at. Also, I can strongly empathize with someone to the point where I am feeling what they are feeling. I know for sure I'm INFJ, but really drawn to the ways of INFP. Either that, or just not healthy enough or under developed Se.

Yeah, I think it's due to recent life events that I am now in this semi-INFP-ESTP mode in which I am trying and doing stuff, slightly detached from common worries and trying to be happier.

Reactions: SiFan

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Took this test also, got INFP, but I am not surprised. Because I am generally much more joyous than most INFJs, and I rather go for happy stuff than brooding stuff... Or maybe I'm just not that healthy and I am seeking happy stuff to mend my wounds.

Fi(39.4)-Ne(36.6)-Si(35.6)-Te(29.8) - INFP (look at all that Te) :D

Ni(43.9)-Fe(27.7)-Ti(16.3)-Se(11.1) - INFJ (look at all that Ni and the utter lack of Se)
Well, Mystikro, with those cognitive function scores, you do seem to be a much stronger INFP than INFJ.

Since you say you are INFJ, we could consider it a 'miss' for the test. Unlike other types, INFJs frequently just know they are INFJs.

I know I am not INFP because I care too much for stuff in relation to people, and I monitor my reactions and body position in relation to the group. INFPs are notorious for having a bit more of an autistic attitude. I don't get depressed like INFPs when I don't create, rather I become brooding and try to find something else that I'm good at. Also, I can strongly empathize with someone to the point where I am feeling what they are feeling. I know for sure I'm INFJ, but really drawn to the ways of INFP. Either that, or just not healthy enough or under developed Se.

Yeah, I think it's due to recent life events that I am now in this semi-INFP-ESTP mode in which I am trying and doing stuff, slightly detached from common worries and trying to be happier.
Agree. If tests could catch those factors people would not be asking for typing help all the time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts