Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't understand, no sorry, I refuse to read about this because I think the concept of being an ExTP or xNTJ or xSxJ WAT. Come on, try a little harder to figure yourself out! I personally think that if you put an x anywhere in your type an are satisfied with your level of self-understanding then you are lazy xD

Although, if anyone here has an opinion I'd like to hear it. My iPad sucks and won't let me edit, so now you know how I REALLY type. I'm ready for someone to smack down my arrogance on this subject or enlighten me. ...or ignore me. D:

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I don't understand, no sorry, I refuse to read about this because I think the concept of being an ExTP or xNTJ or xSxJ WAT. Come on, try a little harder to figure yourself out! I personally think that if you put an x anywhere in your type an are satisfied with your level of self-understanding then you are lazy xD
Well, first of all, it can be important to distinguish between theoretical assertions and factual assertions. Somebody might say they subscribe to a personality typology that theorizes that people have opposing preferences on four scales and there's no middle while acknowledging, at the same time, that there's no respectable body of studies that purports to establish, as a factual matter, that a person can't be in the middle. And somebody else might assert — as you seem to be doing — that, as a factual matter, it's impossible to be in the middle with respect to one or more dimensions of personality.

Starting at the theoretical end, I never tire of pointing out that Jung himself said that more people were essentially in the middle on E/I than were significantly extraverted or introverted, and he also stressed that people of the same type varied considerably in terms of the strength (or, as he often characterized it, "one-sidedness") of their preferences. Myers likewise distinguished between people with mild and strong preferences, and allowed for the possibility of middleness on all four MBTI dimensions. So the "X" possibility goes all the way back to the MBTI's theoretical roots.

The official MBTI test is designed on the operational assumption that people have four preferences, and assigns people a (tentative) type on each dimension. But that's a very different thing from saying that the MBTI theory says that it isn't possible for someone to be in the middle on any dimension — and, in fact, the MBTI Manual specifically notes that someone with a score near the middle is someone who has essentially "split the vote" rather than offered much evidence of a preference. And the more recent "Step II" version of the MBTI has five subscales for each dimension, and it's possible to come out on the E side (for example) of some of them and the I side of the rest.

Myers believed that one or more of the dichotomies might turn out to be bimodal — with, in effect, a more or less empty (if narrow) zone in the exact middle. But she never asserted that that theoretical possibility had been factually established by any respectable body of evidence, and the 1985 Manual (which she co-authored) acknowledged that the evidence for bimodality was sketchy at best.

And today, as I understand it, there's quite a lot of accumulated data that suggests that most or all of the MBTI dichotomies (and the Big Five dimensions they correlate with), rather than exhibiting a bimodal distribution, exhibit something along the lines of a normal distribution, with the majority of people in or not that far from the middle.

So... two questions for you:
  • Are you under the impression that it's somehow been established, as a factual matter, that any of the MBTI dimensions is bimodal, and that it's impossible for someone to be in the middle? If so, can you point us to any sources?
  • If, on the other hand, you don't think the impossibility of middleness has been factually established — and if you agree (as I hope you would) that the point of theories, generally speaking, is to account for the facts as well as possible — why would you want to theoretically exclude the X possibility, and why would you be inclined to tell anybody who types themselves as X on one of the MBTI dimensions that they're either being "lazy" (as you said) or just don't understand themselves?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@reckful thanks for the smackdown and education. :) I wouldn't necessarily assert that one is lazy, but I think there is a difference between typing yourself using the dichotomies and typing yourself using cognitive functions. Now I can completely see how one could fall in the middle on one or more of the dichotomies, but my misunderstanding comes the question, "why not use other methods of figuring out your type from there?" I think cognitive functions are more concrete, which leads me to believe that being in-between should be looked at first as a confusion and then speculated. There are many factors that could lead to an x:

1. The validity of the test taken to discover the type.
2. How honest the person is able to be with themselves
3. Socio-cultural, cultural, social, biological factors
4. Family dynamics that shape the way we view the world
5. Etc....

I suppose my opinion is that if someone has an "x" they should feel free to explore more in order to further understand who they are. I view Myers Briggs as a tool and if used properly, it can affect great change in one's life. So, I suppose I just have a lack of understanding of how one could feel ok with an x, because it seems it would hamper their self-discovery.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
Aw, Christi why you gotta be so cold :blushed:

Ok, some Xs bother me more than others.

l could really give a f*ck about I/E in most cases...though Axxx does irritate me a little, because l think you can settle on an E type and imply an inherent level of ambiversion. lf that level is not sufficient, just go with I, but it's understood that an exrovert can have borderline behaviors.

A T/F mystery variable doesn't really annoy me. Sometimes l'm tempted to go with it but l don't see it as the person implying they ARE both, you know? Not implying that they're proud of not choosing either, more so that they're still working it out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Easier said than done. I've "tested" both INFP and ENFP. On both tests I scored low on the introversion/extroversion scale. Other tests consider that to be one continuous scale with room for ambiversion. Different experiences from early childhood and adulthood further muddle understandings if I am extroverted or introverted.

Reactions: PlacentaCake

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Easier said than done. I've "tested" both INFP and ENFP. On both tests I scored low on the introversion/extroversion scale. Other tests consider that to be one continuous scale with room for ambiversion. Different experiences from early childhood and adulthood further muddle understandings if I am extroverted or introverted.
I get that and I see what people are saying. For most it is probably just a mystery "x", as if to say, "that part of my type is still a question for me." I think ambiversion is just a confusion between the socially constructed definitions of introversion and extroversion and the way they are defined within Myers Briggs. Blah! I hate when I'm arrogant. I hope I didn't offend you! I didn't think about people when I made this thread, I just wanted to analyze the concept :p

·
Registered
81 Posts
I get that and I see what people are saying. For most it is probably just a mystery "x", as if to say, "that part of my type is still a question for me." I think ambiversion is just a confusion between the socially constructed definitions of introversion and extroversion and the way they are defined within Myers Briggs. Blah! I hate when I'm arrogant. I hope I didn't offend you! I didn't think about people when I made this thread, I just wanted to analyze the concept :p
There was no offense. In terms of garnering energy through interactions with others or on my own, I'm still not certain which one I prefer.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've heard it said once or twice (well, read it online, technically) that people should try to be XXXX eventually, and I think that has some logic to it. It'd mean you'd be able to use both preferences, and relate to them both in others. So there's a positive side to having an X in that sense.
I think I understand the X, because I'm almost an INXP. I usually get INFP on tests but I've gotten INTP a fair amount of times. After some soul-searching I settled on F, because I have a great desire for meaning and beauty in life and not as much desire for knowledge - but I still relate to some parts of the INTP description (for example, I do reduce things to logical points) and don't relate to some parts of the INFP description (for example, I often find it hard to recognize other people's feelings or know what to say to them). So while in my case one preference has a slight edge, I can understand how in some people there would be a half-and-half kind of thing with that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can understand being on the border of two personalities with the same functions in a different order, like ENFP/INFP. I would say everyone falls a little to one side or the other though. Sometimes it's hard to tell without knowing a lot of people and their types or reading a lot of material on it.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just get physically tired and mentally drained being around people. Sometimes I even get a headache or just feel like have to get away to process my thoughts, but I do love being around friends and family and people are great. I sometimes wish I was extroverted! I still have fun when I choose to go out, but I can't do it often and I need time to recover. It isn't a preference for me, it is how I function best in the world. :) dunno if that helps you at all to hear.

·
Registered
643 Posts
LOL! I feel you, the apple stuff really sucks on PerC maybe except with that Tapatalk app I use. That seems to be okay. To be honest with you, only you can figure out what you are and what functions you seem to be the best at and the worst at! What I do sometimes is I think of daily situations and how it applies to the cognitive stuff because I'm a tad lazy to read all this FLUFF. Yes, being an xxxx certainly makes you special!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts