Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, forum-goers! I'm new here. I'm not good at introducing myself so I decided to use this handy form instead. Anyways, I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you. :)

Name - What do you preferred to be called?
Brianna
- Any nicknames?
Bri
Male/Female/Trans?
Female
Location - Where were you originally born? Where do you live today? Any interesting story behind that?
I was born and raised in Southern California, which is where I currently live. I've bounced around a few times in Northern CA for college. Not anything particularly interesting to tell there. Like many of us, I ran out of money living on my own and moved back in with my parents.
- If you could get up and go anywhere in the world at the present moment, where would you go and why?
Right now? I'd probably go back to Ireland. I've been there once before and it was great fun. I love the people, the landscape, and the history. Now that I'm old enough to go to the pubs, I'd undoubtedly have an even better time than before.
Age - How old are you? Do you think you act your age? If not, explain which age you think you resemble most. Do it for the laughs.
I'm 22. Compared with other 22 year old people I'd say I'm somewhat more mature than most. However, I do of course enjoy a healthy dose of irresponsibility for someone my age. The people I tend to get along with are all in their mid-to-late 20's, so I guess that would be the age I'd resemble most.

Personal(ity) ~

* What is your Myers-Briggs personality type and for how long have you been reading on personality theory?
INTP, and for at least 7 years.
* What type do you usually test as?
INTP
* What are your favorite and least favorite personality types to be around?
I like people who share similar traits with me, especially people who have an adventurous spark, which I lack. I avoid the overtly extroverted, needy, and oversensitive types.
If you've taken any other personality tests, included but not limited to tests like the Enneargram and Big 5 (SLOAN), what were your results?
I have taken all of those tests, but I've long since forgotten my results.

Occupation ~

* Employed or Unemployed?
Employed, in retail/customer service. Unfortunately.
What is your education?
I'm about a year away from graduating with a BS in History.
What is your dream job?
To make a living as a writer or artist of some kind. I want to be left alone to do my work, and act as my own boss. I need my independence.

About You ~

* Tell us in a brief paragraph or two how you would describe yourself and what you hope to get out of this forum.
I'm not very good at writing these "about me" things, but here are some basics. I'm a student, an introvert, I'm bisexual, and I'm obsessed with cats. I like to read, enjoy watching drag queen movies, and sleep too much.

I joined this forum because it's interesting to talk with other people interested in the psychology of personality. I also like to hear the experiences of fellow introverts, because it isn't exactly easy to find and strike up a conversation with them in person.

Other ~

What is your favourite section at the toy-store?
As a child, I would always make a beeline for the plush animals. These days I usually check out the collectible action figures or video games.
Do you collect anything?
Postcards, random trinket-y things I find on the ground (bits of broken jewelry, zipper pulls, buttons, etc.), and, up until a couple years ago, Pokemon cards.
What are your phobias?
I don't have any.
Describe your favourite food until you drool.
Pizza. Baked in a brick oven with perfectly melted four cheese, topped with fresh basil and slices of tomato. It'd have a thin, flaky, crispy crust, and flavorful, seasoned sauce. It'd be small enough to finish, but filling enough to not want more.
Some of the things that you give you jollies?
People baby-talking to animals, gay couples who clearly adore each other, walking into a bookstore, getting off work early, having an entire day to myself, frolicking about in large, open spaces (grassy fields and the beach), the first big drop on an intense rollercoaster, hearing a new song for the first time and knowing you'll be listening to it on repeat for the next month.
What are your top five pet peeves?
1) People who stir up drama and conflict for no reason other than to get attention.
2) People who are completely oblivious/ignorant of their surroundings. (Blocking paths, driving slow in the fast lane, talking loudly in a quiet room, etc.)
3) People with anger management problems.
4) People who refuse to budge from their beliefs even when the truth is presented to them.
5) People in general.
What would a perfect day be like for you?
I'd wake up without an alarm around 9am and have toast and a hot cup of tea. It'd be foggy outside. I'd feel inspired to work on a personal project for the majority of the day, and have great results. At night I'd curl up in bed and watch an old favorite movie and eat a delicious, homemade dinner. Then I'd play a video game or read until I fall asleep. Throughout the day I'd have no phone calls or text messages, and I'd have no upcoming events to feel stressed over.
Do you prefer a vegetarian or meat diet or both?
I'd say I'm about 90% vegetarian. That is, I'm not the kind of vegetarian that will balk if the soup is made with chicken stock, or if there are minuscule bits of chicken in the egg fried rice or bacon bits in the mashed potatoes. I do avoid eating meat dishes for the most part, however, including fish.

Other Other ~ Yay or Nay?

God and Souls:
Well, they're interesting subjects to study. I adore learning about all kinds of different mythologies, and I enjoy learning about God the same way I enjoy learning about Zeus and Odin. I don't personally have any kind of religious faith or spiritual belief, but I find both past and present legends, folktales, and supernatural beliefs absolutely fascinating. I don't judge people for their beliefs unless they, as an individual, are harmful and/or force their opinions onto others.
The Death Penalty:
I don't have a strong opinion either way. It's a tricky issue, what with prison funding, a faulty justice system, and overpopulation.
Premarital Sex:
I am all for it. Why anyone would marry someone without knowing what they're like in bed is beyond me.
People are inherently good:
That's a load of bull.
Destiny:
No such thing, in my opinion. We're all just heaps of flesh and bones bumping around on a giant, watery rock. We live, we die. There isn't anything more to it.
Done drugs:
I haven't done any drug drugs, but I do enjoy my alcohol and will smoke tobacco on rare occasions.
Kissed in the rain:
I don't think I've done this, actually.
Re-reading a good book:
I've probably read my favorite book about 12 times now.

·
Mr. CafeBot
13,102 Posts
*You are hearing a robotic sounding voice coming towards you*

Greetings aerosing and welcome to PersonalityCafe!! My name is Mr. CafeBot. I am here to personally greet you and thank you for joining our humble little forum. No matter your type, you will surely experience a wonderful time with the members of this forum. We cater to all personality types so you will never feel alone or weird. Truth is this forum is full of weirdos!! Pleazeee hel.... *Ahem*I mean we have the nicest people you will ever meet. :)

If you need basic forum information our newbie guide link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/intro/2319-friendly-guide-newbies.html

To keep the forum entertaining and safe, our forum rules link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/announcements/540-personality-cafe-forum-rules.html

If you need any help or have any suggestions, please let us know here...
http://personalitycafe.com/support-suggestions/

We will always be glad to help you!

Also don't forget to watch my music video...

Again, welcome to our forum aerosing. We hope that your experience with us is tremendously benevolent!

P.S. Meet my family

My Wife - http://personalitycafe.com/members/mrs-cafebot.html
My Daughter - http://personalitycafe.com/members/jenny.html
My Dog - http://personalitycafe.com/members/dog.html

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
@aerosing

Welcome Brianna. It is always nice to see a new INTP on the forum, I hope to read more of your posts. I enjoyed reading your introduction and I, for one, am pleased to hear that I am not the only one with the type of dream job that you have described. Thanks for sharing.

Also, would you really say that, for example, overpopulation is a factor in determining whether or not to be in favour of the death penalty? It seems more like a practical consideration to me; therefore not being of any relevance to the question of whether you approve of capital punishment as a practice in itself, although one might argue that a practice cannot rightly be approved of outside of a relevant social context perhaps. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, nice to meet you! :)

Just to clarify, I meant specifically prison overpopulation, not overpopulation in general, just in case there was confusion there. It isn't that I believe overcrowding can or should be solved with capital punishment, but yes, I do think the two are linked. My personal issue is with people who DO have death sentences that spend decades in prison before their sentence is, if ever, carried out. For example, I read somewhere recently that there are well over 650 inmates sentenced to death in California, while only a dozen or so have actually been executed. So, while those guys are sitting around twiddling their thumbs and waiting indefinitely to be executed, criminals charged with lesser offenses are given less severe sentences or released early due to lack of space.

It isn't that I'm for the death penalty, exactly - rather, I believe that if an offender does receive a death sentence, it should be carried out in a timely fashion, both for the sake of overcrowding and the offender's sanity. It certainly should not be carried out for some and not others, if all have the same sentence. It seems rather pointless to keep 600+ people sitting around wondering whether or not they're going to die when they are, in fact, sentenced to death. Either alter their sentence, or execute them. The death penalty is a serious sentence and should not be an empty threat.

I hope that at least makes a little bit of sense!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Hey, nice to meet you! :)
Haha, yes, nice to meet you too, 'in spirit' at least, as they say. :D

Just to clarify, I meant specifically prison overpopulation, not overpopulation in general, just in case there was confusion there. It isn't that I believe overcrowding can or should be solved with capital punishment, but yes, I do think the two are linked. My personal issue is with people who DO have death sentences that spend decades in prison before their sentence is, if ever, carried out. For example, I read somewhere recently that there are well over 650 inmates sentenced to death in California, while only a dozen or so have actually been executed. So, while those guys are sitting around twiddling their thumbs and waiting indefinitely to be executed, criminals charged with lesser offenses are given less severe sentences or released early due to lack of space.
I already expected that you meant something like that, which is why I had considered this to be a practical issue. This all makes a lot of sense, but it just seems to me as though this has nothing to with the desirability of capital punishment. I did not think that you were in favour of using the death penalty as a means of population control only, so don't worry about that (although I would have found that extremely fascinating).

It isn't that I'm for the death penalty, exactly - rather, I believe that if an offender does receive a death sentence, it should be carried out quickly, both for the sake of overcrowding and the offender's sanity. It certainly should not be carried out for some and not others, if all have the same sentence. It seems rather pointless to keep 600+ people sitting around wondering whether or not they're going to die when they are, in fact, sentenced to death. Either alter their sentence, or execute them. The death penalty is a serious sentence and should not be an empty threat.
Personally, I am against the death penalty in (at least) most instances, but I completely agree with you that if a community were to embrace capital punishment as a means of executing justice, this community should take this punishment seriously. What you say makes sense, and more than a little too, but I still wonder what your moral judgement regarding the death penalty is. You should not feel obligated to tell me, of course, and perhaps you do not even really have a position on this, but I was wondering: would you be in favour of the death penalty if it was arranged in such a fashion that it would be executed quickly, cleanly, orderly and humanely, as I reckon you would want it to be executed if it became a common practice? You said that you are 'not exactly' for the death penalty, but why 'not exactly' instead of 'not at all'?

Also, now that I am asking questions, what book was so good that it warranted about 11 re-reads? I cannot remember ever having read a book that many times, so I would like to know what kind of a magical book this is? :)

I am terribly sorry if I seem impolite in asking you all these questions though, I hope you do not mind. Feel free to ignore the questions if you think they are inappropriate. Or you could ask me questions, since I am kind of bored anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do not mind your questions at all! And you're not impolite in the least. :) Ask away, and I'll do my best to explain things.

As far as the death penalty, yes, I would say I'm "for" it in that I believe the justice system should carry out their sentences. To leave someone hanging on death row for decades long without altering their sentence is a cruel thing to do. But do certain people deserve to die? I can't answer that. There are people and governments who believe they can, and there always will be. Humans have been killing each other since ancient times. We are a violent species. I find it interesting that it's generally acceptable for warring soldiers to kill each other in the name of freedom, yet the media circus surrounding execution of a serial murderer causes all kinds of controversy and ethics debates. I can't say my morals always line up with that of the U.S. justice system (I'm not very familiar with the practices of other countries), or that I agree with some of the decisions they make, but it's really hard for me to take a clear stance on the death penalty. I simply find it interesting to think about, objectively. I can't say I'm either for or against it. However, if I were a judge, I couldn't imagine myself sentencing someone to death.

The books (two books, actually) are not magical in that they are "good" books, but magical in that they make me feel warm and comfortable when I re-read them. The characters were like friends to me during my awkward adolescence, and reading them evokes that nostalgia. Re-reading them now, they seem a bit silly, but I still cherish them. Anyways, they're the first two books of the Nightrunner series by Lynn Flewelling. I'm an absolute sucker for cheesy fantasy stories.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do have a question for you, actually. In your profile (yes, I snooped) you state that you're an existential misanthrope, which I can certainly relate to! But I find it interesting that you consider yourself a misanthrope yet you take a stance against capital punishment. It's just not what I would have expected. So my question is, what is the basis for your stance on the death penalty? And, if you're feeling very bored, why would you say you're a misanthrope? I've labeled myself as one on multiple occasions and I'd be interested in hearing what your thoughts are, if you're comfortable with sharing.

·
Registered
429 Posts
welcome to the forum! here have this: Cat Mammal Vertebrate Small to medium-sized cats Felidae

Reactions: aerosing

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I'm Brian, welcome to the club....another one called Bri.... BS in history, that sounds cool.

·
Registered
INTP 874 sx/sp VLEF melancholic
17,126 Posts
Your username sounds like "arousing".

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
As far as the death penalty, yes, I would say I'm "for" it in that I believe the justice system should carry out their sentences. To leave someone hanging on death row for decades long without altering their sentence is a cruel thing to do. But do certain people deserve to die? I can't answer that. There are people and governments who believe they can, and there always will be. Humans have been killing each other since ancient times. We are a violent species. I find it interesting that it's generally acceptable for warring soldiers to kill each other in the name of freedom, yet the media circus surrounding execution of a serial murderer causes all kinds of controversy and ethics debates. I can't say my morals always line up with that of the U.S. justice system (I'm not very familiar with the practices of other countries), or that I agree with some of the decisions they make, but it's really hard for me to take a clear stance on the death penalty. I simply find it interesting to think about, objectively. I can't say I'm either for or against it. However, if I were a judge, I couldn't imagine myself sentencing someone to death.
Well, what you say is understandable. In fact, I have reservations about being completely against the death penalty myself, although I am against it in almost all conceivable situations, as I already told you. This is a difficult and complex issue, after all.

I do not think anyone really deserves to die, and I certainly do not think that two wrongs make a right. What is done right once is done right forever, I firmly believe, and to refrain from killing someone, no matter how rotten that person is, is often the right thing to do. There are far more constructive ways of punishing people; if you think punishing people is ever justified, since one might argue that it would not be justified if hard determinism would hold. But let's assume that punishment is justified, because hard determinism need not be true, and because there is an impulse in many people to punish wrong-doers that deserves to be taken seriously in and of itself. Under this assumption it still seems strange to me to opt for capital punishment, since it will only cause for more pain in the lives of criminals and their loved ones, but also because there is still a lot you could do with someone who needs to be punished; you can put him to work, you can try to have him repay his debt to society in other ways too, and this prisoner might still write a good book or produce a work of art that would bring delight to many. Why then would you just waste such potential by opting for capital punishment? Is this not an excessive use of the monopoly of power of the state? I mean, these are questions that need to be answered, even if we could agree that punishment is appropriate, since there are so many alternatives to capital punishment, it seems to me. To say someone does not deserve to exist, basically, seems so extreme to me, since it would require this person to be completely devoid of positive qualities and potential, or that is what I think would be the requirement. And I know nobody who has no redeeming qualities whatsoever, so that the world would indeed be better off without them.

The books (two books, actually) are not magical in that they are "good" books, but magical in that they make me feel warm and comfortable when I re-read them. The characters were like friends to me during my awkward adolescence, and reading them evokes that nostalgia. Re-reading them now, they seem a bit silly, but I still cherish them. Anyways, they're the first two books of the Nightrunner series by Lynn Flewelling. I'm an absolute sucker for cheesy fantasy stories.
I do not know the series, but I can understand the appeal. I also had that kind of books in my adolescence, which was not awkward - my earlier childhood was confusing, though. However, I dare not re-read them out of fear that they will disappoint now that I have read so much really good books and now that I am older. Perhaps I should try and re-read one just out of a sense of nostalgia.

I do have a question for you, actually. In your profile (yes, I snooped) you state that you're an existential misanthrope, which I can certainly relate to! But I find it interesting that you consider yourself a misanthrope yet you take a stance against capital punishment. It's just not what I would have expected. So my question is, what is the basis for your stance on the death penalty? And, if you're feeling very bored, why would you say you're a misanthrope? I've labeled myself as one on multiple occasions and I'd be interested in hearing what your thoughts are, if you're comfortable with sharing.
Well, I think I already have explained part of my motivation for my stance with regard capital punishment above. I should mention that besides this rationale, I also have emotional motivations to be against the death penalty. These are, in a sense, a more potent moral force in my life, but it is of course difficult to explain your emotions to others without simplifying them.

As to the misanthropy, I do not hate humanity as such, or all human beings, but the current state of humanity. My misanthropy is closely related to me being disappointed with human beings. I believe that there is, or should be, so much potential for human beings to 'grow', to become altogether better, more beautiful and more powerful beings, yet I see so much of this potential wasted all around me. I see people participating in activities that I judge to be beneath them. So, my misanthropy is but a contingent misanthropy, I hate humanity in its current state of being savage and underdeveloped, but I do not hate all things human. There is nothing about human beings or humanity that necessarily makes me hate them, nor do I systematically or consistently feel contempt for all human beings I encounter; I am usually closer to pitying them than to hating them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, what you say is understandable. In fact, I have reservations about being completely against the death penalty myself, although I am against it in almost all conceivable situations, as I already told you. This is a difficult and complex issue, after all.

I do not think anyone really deserves to die, and I certainly do not think that two wrongs make a right. What is done right once is done right forever, I firmly believe, and to refrain from killing someone, no matter how rotten that person is, is often the right thing to do. There are far more constructive ways of punishing people; if you think punishing people is ever justified, since one might argue that it would not be justified if hard determinism would hold. But let's assume that punishment is justified, because hard determinism need not be true, and because there is an impulse in many people to punish wrong-doers that deserves to be taken seriously in and of itself. Under this assumption it still seems strange to me to opt for capital punishment, since it will only cause for more pain in the lives of criminals and their loved ones, but also because there is still a lot you could do with someone who needs to be punished; you can put him to work, you can try to have him repay his debt to society in other ways too, and this prisoner might still write a good book or produce a work of art that would bring delight to many. Why then would you just waste such potential by opting for capital punishment? Is this not an excessive use of the monopoly of power of the state? I mean, these are questions that need to be answered, even if we could agree that punishment is appropriate, since there are so many alternatives to capital punishment, it seems to me. To say someone does not deserve to exist, basically, seems so extreme to me, since it would require this person to be completely devoid of positive qualities and potential, or that is what I think would be the requirement. And I know nobody who has no redeeming qualities whatsoever, so that the world would indeed be better off without them.
You make some good points, and you're certainly a much more forgiving person than I am. I definitely agree with you, though, that most criminals are of better use to society alive, rather than dead. The french criminologist Eugène François Vidocq comes to mind here - a former criminal who redeemed himself and became one of the first known private detectives. He did a lot of good work. But this doesn't apply to everyone, and some people are, in my opinion, deserving of harsh punishment. I would be lying if I said I wouldn't glean some perverse satisfaction if the subject of the recent Cleveland kidnapping case were to meet his end in prison. But the satisfaction doesn't last, and it can very easy for the justice system to get carried away. I sometimes think there is a deep-seated, human, primal desire for eye-to-eye justice, as horrid as it may be. But it is very savage thing, and as you pointed out, there are indeed more logical, productive ways to handle such cases.

Well, I think I already have explained part of my motivation for my stance with regard capital punishment above. I should mention that besides this rationale, I also have emotional motivations to be against the death penalty. These are, in a sense, a more potent moral force in my life, but it is of course difficult to explain your emotions to others without simplifying them.

As to the misanthropy, I do not hate humanity as such, or all human beings, but the current state of humanity. My misanthropy is closely related to me being disappointed with human beings. I believe that there is, or should be, so much potential for human beings to 'grow', to become altogether better, more beautiful and more powerful beings, yet I see so much of this potential wasted all around me. I see people participating in activities that I judge to be beneath them. So, my misanthropy is but a contingent misanthropy, I hate humanity in its current state of being savage and underdeveloped, but I do not hate all things human. There is nothing about human beings or humanity that necessarily makes me hate them, nor do I systematically or consistently feel contempt for all human beings I encounter; I am usually closer to pitying them than to hating them.
Thanks for taking the time to answer this. I certainly understand where you are coming from here, and I share some of your rational. I suspect I am a much more of a pessimist than you, however - I think humanity as a whole is grossly selfish, and has done more damage than good. I don't hate or pity humanity - in fact I feel almost emotionless while contemplating the actions of our species, whether they be positive or negative. As I hinted at above, I have somewhat of a perverse fascination with watching things fall apart. I suspect that is the "detached observer" INTP tendency within me speaking. I should mention though, that environmental destruction and humanity's blatant lack of respect for wildlife is the one issue that seems to absolutely infuriate me. I sometimes wish that nature could fight back against us. (The scene in the book The Two Towers where the Ents band together to destroy Isengard is one of my all time favorites.)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I like you.
i like people that intrigue me to google after the meaning of new words.

If you are interested I would be interested to talk more. PM me if you like, I would like.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts