Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a new member; I mostly made a user to get help figuring out my type, though I think I'll use the forum for other things as well. I do find psychology very interesting.

Most tests mark me as INFP. The test here I’m: I 65%/E 35% N 77.42%/S 22.58% T 18.18%/F 81.82% J 36.36%/P 63.64%. I think my problem is that I don’t know myself that well, which may be because I’m only 15.... I've thought I might be a INFJ but idk.... It's like every time I read about a type that could be me, I read some aspect of it that's not like me at all... Or at least that how I feel. Anyway, I excuse for the length of this post, here you go:

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
Perceiving would suggest that I don’t plan much, wouldn’t it? (Please point out any misunderstandings I’ve made, I’m still pretty new to this so I could very well have misunderstood something).
But I do make plans. I don’t always follow them, but I do make them. F.x. I always make up my mind about what to say when making a call. Not always word for word, but the idea of what I should say. And I’m very bad at talking casually on phone. When I make a call, it’s with a clear idea of something I have to ask the person I’m calling up about or informing them of. After doing so and getting their respond, I’ll say my goodbyes and end the conversation. Sometimes I force myself to try asking about something completely else, but it doesn’t come naturally at all. I’m also very bad at calling up people I haven’t met, for some reason it terrifies me. I think the thing is that I’m afraid of sounding stupid, saying something stupid or so on.
I like to know what is coming the next days, and having a friend suddenly ask me if I want to do something the same day, I’ll get… I don’t know if anxious is the best word, but I differently doesn’t like it. I need a couple of days to know that this thing is coming then and then and you’re going to do that and that. (Or I don’t need it per see, I just like it better.)
I also feel uncertain about some aspects of Feeling. In most descriptions it says that Feeling types try to back out of conflicts, which I don’t believe is true for me. I’ve never had a problem saying something, if I feel I should or feel something is wronging someone/something.
Another thing is idealism. I guess I am kind of idealistic, maybe I've just hidden it behind sceptism? I tend to think that Humans Are Bastards and that there will always be conflict between us, which doesn't seem like a very idealist view to me? I do have things I believe in and I do want to be able to change things... Maybe I doesn't understand what idealism really mean? idk...

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
I really want to be a author of some kind, that’s a very important goal for me. I think it’s because I’ve always had ideas for stories and they keep coming, and I really want to turn them into something concrete, something other people can enjoy or maybe make them think. I think it also have something to do with, that I want to set a fingerprint on the world, I want people to know who I was, even after my death.
I also want to have someone I’m really close to and can talk to about anything, someone I’d love and would love me….

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
Uh… Is this where I bring my age up as an excuse? I really don’t know, I felt pretty fine these last few years, apart from uncertainty about my sexuality and the usually things that make teenagers so weird.
Hmmm... Maybe I actually feel the best when I’m completely into something I’m reading? Or maybe when I’m sharing an intense interest with someone? Again, I have a hard time answering this.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
Being wrong about something make me feel deeply stupid. The more I care about the subject, the stupider I feel. People ignoring my opinion or not listening when I’m saying something that I myself think is clever. People making fun of something I likes, though it depends on what it is and who they makes fun of it. Sometimes I’m able to see why something is worth making fun of and too find it funny, even though I like the thing, but sometimes I can’t. It’s probably 50/50.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
Hmm... Both? I think I tend to think about it logically first, then making the final decision according to what I feel is most right. F.x. when I had to chose the equivalent to a High School, there were two schools I liked and I was in doubt about which one I should choose. In ended up writing all the things I liked and disliked about the places down, and the factor that made me choose the one I did, was that I simply liked the atmosphere better. I think that deep down I knew from the start, that I was going to choose the one I did.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
I’m not sure I understand this question....? I’ll try to answer it anyway... Let’s take my writing as an example... I tend to plan ahead, but in a more general way and I often diverts from the plan. I think my emphasis is making it into something I will lay name to, even if it doesn’t turn out the way I first imagined.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
Hmm.... I can’t really remember what made the day so good, but it was the last day of school a couple of years ago. I think the thing was that I was together with all of my best friends at once. I remember the weather was very good and I think I laughed a lot....
Also, my friends and I have had some video nights/sleepovers, and some of the earliest of does stand out in my memory as something special, where we ate a lot of candy, talked in to late in the night, was incredibly silly and again, laughed a lot.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
I think it depends on what it is, but if I f.x. have to learn something about history, I remember it best if I learn about the circumstances that lead to whatever it is that one have to learn. Or learning of a historical period from a fictional historic novel.
When it comes to math, I think I learn it best if I know why I’m doing what I’m doing, otherwise it tends to go in one ear and out the other. So I think I basically need to read a lot about something until I come to the point where I begins to understand the why, then I feel like I’ve learned it. I don’t know if I even answered the question....

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
I’m very messy, my room’s never clean. I sometimes lay something without noticing where and then begins to panic when I can’t find it. And then find it the minute after. That has happened embarrassedly many times.
I do like to have things I care about kind of organised, though. I’ve f.x. organised my books and dvd’s. And I’ve done the same with some old drawings.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
Uhmm.... I think I’m usually a bit sceptic, especially if it comes from someone else, and then I try to look more into it and find more information. I think.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
I think being myself is what it most important to me. I want subscribe to something I don’t believe is right, I want ignore things other people do, if I find then wrong, even if it’ll create conflict. Not completely, anyway. I might ignore what they did, but I’ll never going to take part of it, if I find it wrong.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
Depends.... If it’s something important or something that springs from an inner wondering, I will think of it before I says anything, but I sometimes say things that can sound different from the way I meant them, because I didn’t think about it. They can come of fine as well, though. I think that when I’m with close friends, I let my mouth say whatever it wants to, while if I’m with more people or if I’m going to say something doing class, I’ll differently think first.
I remember reading that a way to help yourself determine your type, was thinking about what you would answer when you where younger than 12. Younger than 12!Me would say that I talked before thinking, though that could just be me who had a wrong picture about how I really was/am.
The other part of the question is more clear for me. I like one-on-one better than groups, or very small groups maybe. It seems to me that the more people you are, the more unimportant the subject...

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
This too is a very hard one.... Or the first part, anyway. I do find action to have more weight than words. If one just say something without putting any action behind it, what does their words really mean? Though I don’t think I live up to that ideal myself.....
I think the first part depends on the situation... Though I probably lean to knowing where I’m jumping... again, younger than 12!Me would disagree...

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Uhm... I think I would 1. Be honest and say that I didn’t want to or 2. Come up with a lame excuse (like being too tired.) I think my friends know that I wouldn’t want to with so short time to prepare myself. As I explained in the first question, I like to know what’s coming so I can mentally prepare for it...

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I tries to resonate what I should do first, the repeatedly tells myself what I’ve got to do until I do so, then move on to the next thing on the list. I have a tendency to speak to myself doing stress as well if not out loud, then mentally.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
I hate when people tries to manipulate others, if they treat people different from each other to make a point/to make those they treat worse feel bad. People who tries to create conflict for personal gain.
Also, while I don’t dislike them per see, I think people should really try to stand up for themselves and not let others control their life. I probably feel more sorry for them than I dislikes them, but well...

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
My obsessions, other personal interests and discussing an idea about how something would work/would change something.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life?
Fashion, I guess....

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? What would your friends never say about your personality?
I actually don’t know, I’m not in their heads... I think we know each other pretty well? I know what people who is not my close friends might get wrong about me (Like me being more serious than I am) but I think my close friends know that I’m capable of both extreme silliness, being completely inside my own head, being sceptic and so on. I don’t know what wrong assumptions they could have about me.
Maybe they don’t know how exited things can make me, because often when I get exited, I keep it inside? But I know they have seen me be very excited about things. In general, I just think they know me pretty well.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Reading, writing, surfing the net, playing video games, drawing, researching something.... Bu then again, I do that really often...

If you’re interested in what the Keys2cognition.com test said about me:
First try:
Fi – excellent
Si – excellent
Ni – good
Ne – good
Fe – average
Se – average
Te – limited
Ti – limited

Later try:
Ne – Excellent
Fi – Excellent
Ti – Good
Ni – Good
Si – Average
Se – Average
Fe – Limited
Te – Limited
I think I’m choleric/catalyst in temperament and most tests agree.

Four random things I wonder what says about me: I tend to hold the view that when something is done, it's done, there's nothing you can do about it, so it's not worth your time thinking too much of regret. And I can be pretty short temper when provoked (though I’ve gotten a lot better at building my walls). And I don’t hold grudges; I let all my anger out at once then forget about it pretty quickly. I often feel like I have to prove myself, prove that I’m not weak (mostly physically).

Please help :)!

·
Premium Member
INTP
11,905 Posts
Sounds like you're an INFP to me

Welcome to the forums

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you're an INFP to me

Welcome to the forums
Thank you, I should probably make a thread to introduce myself in.. Could you try say something about why you think so? :)

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
You're definitely an INFP, your Fe is way too low for an INFJ. You're also showing a lot of Fi in your writing, something an INFJ wouldn't have much of.

·
Premium Member
INTP
11,905 Posts
Thank you, I should probably make a thread to introduce myself in.. Could you try say something about why you think so? :)
I think so because I can relate to everything you've said. Apart from that the points you mentioned that make you doubt you're an INFP are those in the type description that aren't too clear and easily misinterpreted anyway.
For me idealism is a vision of how I believe things should be. I don't actually expect to achieve it or delude myself about how things really are. I'm realistic in the sense that I know the difference between the two.

I don't shy away from conflict unless either I haven't got all the facts or the situation isn't really that important to me in the first place. Also, I see conflict as a tool to use as an when it's beneficial, not just to prove I'm better/smarter/right

A lot of INFPs see the descriptions as fitting but not exactly as it's put across, if you understand that.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
@July - Whatever you are, you are definitely not an INFJ. You use Fi way more than you use Fe. Also, just because you like to make plans sometimes and think ahead doesn't mean you're not a P as opposed to a J. ^^ Haha, actually I noticed you've got a lot of Type Six tendencies. ;) There's something to think about...

You seem to me like an INFP. You Fi and Ne seem to be working together. You seem to lead with Fi. I think INFP is a safe guess.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Kitzara: I'm probably not far enough in my understanding of cognition to be able to take that in to considering, but what you say makes sense. I'm not sure I ever completely understood Judging/Perceiving either way...

@Neverontime: I see, what you say does sound like the way I feel/see things... And that kind of idealism is something I can relate to.
I think I understand. When I read about it, it did sound kind of like me, but just the way it was written... and the things than confused me above.

@Julia Bell: As I wrote above, I'm not sure I ever understood Judging/Perceiving....
I'm not enough into Ennagram typing yet to have any idea about what that means. I've only taken the test and got: 3w4, 5w4, 1w2. I don't actually know anything about it yet. (I'm going to read something about it soon ;) )

BTW what about the thing about f.x. phone calls, is that more because I'm introverted?

Reactions: Kynx

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
@Kitzara: I'm probably not far enough in my understanding of cognition to be able to take that in to considering, but what you say makes sense. I'm not sure I ever completely understood Judging/Perceiving either way...
Basically, INFPs have Fi as their most used function, but for INFJs it's one of the least used. As for Fe, INFJs use it the second most out of all the functions, while for INFPs it's only moderately used. Judging by your function results, Fi is always near the top and Fe is always closer to the bottom. Combined with that high Ne, you're a solid INFP.

I wouldn't worry about the functions for now, you'll get to know them better later!

Reactions: Kynx

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Kitzara: ah, thanks, I see what you mean. Well, I guess this means I can go hang out in the INFP forum now... xD

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Kitzara: ah, thanks, I see what you mean. Well, I guess this means I can go hang out in the INFP forum now... xD

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry about the many posts, my browser didn't like me :/ Now after looking into the cognition function I can see why I'm an INFP... The article I found on the site by Dr. J. H. van der Hoop (which I'm still not allowed to link to...) in particular convinced me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts