Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Lovely topic. It really depends what the issue is and what its reason for being is. People get depressed for various reasons is the reason something you have control over? Do you have reason to feel good about yourself? Are you going to wake up tomorrow a better person than you were today? Do you have goals? I'm going to assume the best of you and hope you are, are you actively working towards them? Whats your diet like? Medication is sometimes not required.. That's adding to the stack , maybe you just need to simplify and take something away possibly your forces are stretched thin.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dropped out of some college classes and am losing my seriousness. I am completely overwhelmed by all the things that i have to learn and haven't done yet. I am depressed because of expectations and feeling like there is something wrong with me vs the rest of the world. I do have a reason to feel good about myself. It's having patience and to take the time to embark the small things in life. The me right now is so obsessed with fixing things wrong with me and expectations that as of today I continue to have issues I can't get rid of. My goals are to get a couple of degrees and to become independent and to move to a place where I can start over. I am sorta contemplating a bit too much about my future that I am not actively working towards them all the time. My diet is.. skipping meals and stuff.. fast food when there's school.. (too much sodium from burgers) below the daily calorie range for my BMI. Eh.. even if I take away my computer.. I don't think that will solve many problems.. I need to learn how to make lists of things to do and need consulting.. I also need consulting with communication and behaviors to help with my job and overall life.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Often times american diets lack vital nutrition I recommend supplementing with a vitamin for sure most people should and it can't do harm even if its not really needed. Sometimes vitamin deficiency actually leads to depression its like your body is a machine like a car motor has oil and needs oil if its low problems inevitable same with coolant gotta keep it all in prime working order. I write stuff down on a notepad and keep it with me with a pen any idea goes on that not because I think ill forget but just in case I do it's on paper. I recommend writing stuff down as well you can never be too organized. My philosophy is there is no magic pill that's going to solve problems sure it may mask the symptoms but you also get side effects. Nothing like venting or talking or planning or working towards goals and noting progress to take away some of the negativity. Try the happiness challenge! Every time you have a negative thought , realize it and think of a positive one, let no negative thoughts go unchecked. 30 day challenge if you skip one who cares just start over and work more diligently next time and smile!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Are the medications for anti-psychotics and anti-depressives worth it?

Do they actually help alleviate your depression is what I mean.
Yes they work. You will probably find the anti-psychotics knock you on your ass. You'll get used to the side effects though, so push on through. I'm assuming you have a psychiatrist prescribing such powerful medications. Maintain a good dialogue with him/her - get the drug or dosage altered if the side effects get too bad.

The key is to remember that the meds are there to keep you stable until you learn a new way of living, either though therapy or time.

Good luck.

Reactions: Yobi

·
Registered
45 Posts
Most pharmaceutical medications are poison to your body that's why there are side effects you have to keep things in perspective the human body isn't really used to having modern chemicals pumping through all day like what they put in fast food , water , a lot of things. If your going to learn a new way of being might as well spend that money on being healthy and talking to people for support since that is what a counselor is in the first place. That person listens to what you have to say , analyzes, and gives a suggestion. That's what most people do if you talk to them. Whether or not their suggestion is worthy of implementing is still up to you in the end. I definitely wouldn't take medication unless I had no other choice as in my methods and all options available have failed and i'm considering committing suicide, I see it as giving up on yourself, its just not an option to me. Maybe your different but I believe in you and believe you can do it!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only form of medication I have been on has been for a short attention span. I got off it during puberty because it was messing me up bad so I know what you mean. Sometimes medicine gives you a feeling that there's something out there you can take for all your problems. I am just so overwhelmed that I have so many to fix.. I don't even know how to prioritize beyond making notes for things I should do. I'm not sure if I would actually do things if I wrote them down. I think I need a friend to push me through to my goals.. alone it seems hard.. but chances of someone like that for me are slim since not many people have my interests and it's hard to connect.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Only you can hold yourself accountable in the end. Just take things slow one step at a time and recognize your progress as being a wonderful thing. Staying positive helps a lot too. I's sure that in time you will begin to get a hold of things and go from feeling like you need someone to push you to being completely independent about it all. The harder you work the greater the reward, and i'm not talking about money i'm referring to a sense of accomplishment and good things DO come to GOOD people. Open yourself to the possibility that you might just have everything under control on your own. If it makes things easier to digest think of Everything as the journey and not the destination. Every journey has lots of steps but they are easy and you can usually only do one thing at a time so getting overwhelmed about All of it is counter productive. I hope if anything I can in some way help you help yourself! Dont forget to SMILE :D

·
exploring space
10,524 Posts
They worked for me. I wasn't on anti-psychotics, just antidepressants and they certainly helped me. You just have to be prepared to face the side-effects and be patient until they pass, and keep in mind that not every drug works on every person, you might need to switch to different ones. And be honest to your therapist, since talking through your problems will be the main way to solve them, the drugs are your only your support, not your solution.

·
Meh.
ENTJ
8,164 Posts
I think it's important to find out if your depression can be cured by talk-therapy or cognitive therapy before you go in search of meds. Anti-depressants, anti-psychotics are meant to stabilize a chemical unbalance in your brain that is causing the depression or psychosis. Those meds are hardcore and can have severe, life lasting side effects even after you stop using them.

I have seen two people on each of these. The ani-psychotics helped one of these people climb out of a deep psychosis and she was able to get off them fairly soon. A friend has just started on anti-depressants (Prozac) as she's been diagnosed with a clinical depression. This is after she attempted for years to get out of the depression with the help of a psychologist. So far so good for her. She told me the other day that she spontaneously laughed for the first time since highschool (>10 years ago) when someone shared a joke at the office.

Meds should be a last resort, but when really truly needed they can help immensely.

good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.