Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From "Please Understand Me II" by David Keirsey:

"Rationals and Idealists attract each other most frequently--if given the chance to meet.... And yet, despite the difficulty Rationals and Idealists have in finding each other, the frequency of NT-NF marriages is remarkable..." (pg. 210)

I understand the logic here, and my personal experiences coincide with Keirsey's observations. However, to me personally, it seems that the odds of my (or most NTs) meeting an NF in person are nearly impossible. Although I was too busy with work and school this semester to manage anything even resembling a social life, even with the 18 hours I took this semester I was only able to identify around three NFs on campus--and two were professors of mine.

I don't want to constrain my thought processes and actions because of a belief that personality theory should dictate every single move I make, but at the same time, I don't think I could have any romantic interest in any other temperament than the NFs. I simply am not attracted to female SJs and SPs other than in a purely physical sense, and the few encounters I have had with female NFs--including an INFP I dated--provided me with a type of connection with another person that I've never experienced before; the same was true for the INFP.

For your sake, I'd rather keep this post brief, so I'll close with this: Do you guys/girls have any practical advice, experiences, or insights pertaining to this type of problem? If you're dating/have dated an NF, how did you meet her? Feel free to redirect me to any older threads that address this issue--I couldn't find any myself.

I should also add that I'll be transferring to a large state university this upcoming semester with a double major in sociology and psychology, so maybe things will be different there.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
I've known many, I'm sure. Can't give you advice, I'm only thinking of people I would have typed as NF in retrospect that I knew before I knew what MBTI was, and one who has said she's an ENFP.

It happens. I tend to attract people that are somewhat similar to me, so even though we're rare as Ns anyway we tend to attract those who are like us and often we know we're the "weird' people (not a lot of MBTI term usage in real life) so we stick together.

Reactions: Daniel6
1 - 2 of 2 Posts