Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Am I an INTP?

I noticed the lovely Nikki had changed her type and I was curious to know why, seeing as she used to be an INTP. I'm now having doubts aswell. You see I've only ever tested as an INTP, but I was on another testing site and the results were ISTP... Can anyone help?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Well, it would help my judgment if you listed your habits, preferences, etcetera; I would go through your posts and consider it, but I am just too lazy at the present. Besides, I am also having doubts as to my type, so I would most likely be uncertain/incorrect, depending on your situation.

You could also correct the problem I assume to be a typo in your topic.

Reactions: The Phantom

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My traits and habits:

Lazy, uncaring of others (apparently), selfish at times, not socially active, my main objective would be to make the world a less polluted, more calm and friendlier, more TRUTHFUL place to live in. I hate egotistical people, I like playing football when I can be bothered, like to keep fit. I read but the current book I'm reading is taking so long to get through because I keep putting it down and forgetting about it. I'm not so good at maths, pretty adept at spelling and creative writing. Erm, what else... When I'm drunk I'm a bit different like most people I guess. I become more socially confident. I think this might work better if people could ask me questions and I could answer them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Different test sites may yield different results. I have on occasion been tested as an ISTP, and once as an INFP. Most of the time tho', it's INTP. Even MBTI itself as a test doesn't profess to have 100% accuracy. At the end of the day, examine the different profiles and decide which profile fits you best.

For me, MBTI gives me a reference point from which to understand myself and other people. Yet, people are much more complex than just 16 types, so you may not want to "closet" yourself within a specific type.

Having heard you air your doubts tho', you do sound like an INTP...:happy:

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ Thanks. That guy that helped Nikki out by asking loads of questions... where is he/she? I demand similar treatment.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Questions are only helpful when they have a purpose. That said...

Why are you uncertain of your current type? Of which part are you uncertain? Do you tend to want to conform to a 'stereotypical' identity, suppressing your more 'natural' traits?

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't mind being an INTP, infact I'd rather be because we're the rarest. I think I just want to be sure. I don't feel I fit in entirely with the 'geek' stereotype. I mean my head isn't in books all the time and I'm not that interested in theories and equations, (perhaps sometimes I am, I'm reading Lifetide by Lyall Watson and that's packed with theories, but that's the very book although interesting I'm taking a long time to get through its a slog to read). Unless I am a geek and don't realise it. I don't really want to be a geek. So uncool. Haha.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't mind being an INTP, infact I'd rather be because we're the rarest. I think I just want to be sure. I don't feel I fit in entirely with the 'geek' stereotype. I mean my head isn't in books all the time and I'm not that interested in theories and equations, (perhaps sometimes I am, I'm reading Lifetide by Lyall Watson and that's packed with theories, but that's the very book although interesting I'm taking a long time to get through its a slog to read). Unless I am a geek and don't realise it. I don't really want to be a geek. So uncool. Haha.
I have the same problem.
I was also guessing why Nikki changed her type. I think she feels that she cares enough about people and want to protect them, so she changed to INFJ.
I'm also lazy as hell, apparently distant to people but analysing them a lot.
Even if I'm not bad at math I feel there is no point at being mister know-it-all. I think this is a poor behaviour.
I'm more like a chilling INTP with interest in politics but when it becomes too technical, I quickly lose interest since it seems not very relevant. Maybe the N factor here.
Matter of fact I love to be quiet and to travel with my thoughts with beautiful electronic mind-music.

I'm saying that because you may recognise yourself a lot in that.

And I think I'm an INTP, since my thoughts are open.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea thanks that does resonate strongly. I like to think about things, but when it gets into equations and technicalitites I lose interest simply because equations and technicalities to me are uninteresting and obsolete. Probably because I dont understand the more technical ones. However in maths I did enjoy algebra and I was better than most at it. I have found that I have difficulty concentrating on one thing for long periods of time. It's difficult to hold my interest. I'm also a distant analyzer haha. I like that.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I think it was said almost in a nutshell earlier on. If you're finding out all sorts of reasons as to why you are not INTP, then you probably are INTP.

Yep, we're neurotic weirdos.

After me - Say it Loud. We are INTP and we are Proud.:crazy:

·
Registered
988 Posts
A bit too euphoric for my taste, but dissecting yourself is quite an almost universal trait of INTP's. That said, most NT's are prone to self-psychoanalyzing.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
You mean theories are only interesting when they apply to whatever it is that currently interests you? That's how I am.

I also have always tried to conceal or downplay my geekiness to try to fit in. You would have to know me pretty well before you see that side of me.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Never considered myself a geek either. Not really into Physics & scientific theories, my strength has always been in linguistics. And yes, I am a grammar Nazi...:crazy:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Didn't resonate with these ISTP traits, hence am clearer on my type:

1) ISTPs have an adventuresome spirit. They are attracted to motorcycles, airplanes, sky diving, surfing, etc. They thrive on action, and are usually fearless.

2) ISTPs are action-oriented people. They like to be up and about, doing things.

3) They're usually good athletes (although I'd like to think I have good hand-eye coordination).

4) ISTPs are optimistic, full of good cheer (definitely no...:tongue:)

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was about to read it but seeing as you've done it for me I'll say this:

1) ISTPs have an adventuresome spirit. They are attracted to motorcycles, airplanes, sky diving, surfing, etc. They thrive on action, and are usually fearless.
Well I do have an adventurous side. I think if I had the money I'd like to go motorbiking through the crand canyon is it? That long stretch of open road or something similar. I do crave an open road. However I'd never sky dive or bungee jump, or surf. It all seems a bit pointless, I don't really think I'd learn a great deal. But I really want to travel and go on a long journey across the world to discover different cultures and ways of life primarily. That sort of adventure I'd find thrilling. Preferably on my own but I guess I'd have to take my girlfriend now haha. I wouldn't say I'm fearless, or fearful, I'm careful about what I do and don't do. It's usually calculated.

2) ISTPs are action-oriented people. They like to be up and about, doing things.
No, not at all, I find this attitude so difficult to adopt and the ones that are this way, I find irritating and just want to cover their mouths with a tissue soaked in a strong sedative.

3) They're usually good athletes
I'm not bad at sports, good at football, and I can run pretty fast. I used to be the boy at 400m in school.
4) ISTPs are optimistic, full of good cheer
I'm optimistic usually, but I don't show it much, its a calm optimism. Alot of people probably think I'm quite negative because I'm not one of those over the top Jolly idiots who bounce off the walls every time they enter a room. What a waste of energy that would be. :dry:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well I do have an adventurous side. I think if I had the money I'd like to go motorbiking through the crand canyon is it? That long stretch of open road or something similar. I do crave an open road. However I'd never sky dive or bungee jump, or surf. It all seems a bit pointless, I don't really think I'd learn a great deal. But I really want to travel and go on a long journey across the world to discover different cultures and ways of life primarily. That sort of adventure I'd find thrilling. Preferably on my own but I guess I'd have to take my girlfriend now haha. I wouldn't say I'm fearless, or fearful, I'm careful about what I do and don't do. It's usually calculated.

No, not at all, I find this attitude so difficult to adopt and the ones that are this way, I find irritating and just want to cover their mouths with a tissue soaked in a strong sedative.
Great reply...:wink:

1) I enjoy exploring new countries and territories, usually on a self-drive or walk. I think the thrill we seek is not in the sensory areas (e.g. bungee jumping), but being able to take in the overall "feel" of a new place or culture (Ne function). Photography helps me to capture that "feel", which I would ruminate over thereafter (Si function).

2) I just laughed at the visual imagery that popped into my mind...:crazy:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts