Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Infractionated
I drive a blue tricycle with a gold bell.
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an entp. I'm in a relationship with an intp. Full disclosure, we're actually married. We have been for three years. Four years? Some time between three and five? (I'm terrible with dates, alright?)

I love him so much. Iike spending time with him. I like talking to him, hanging out with him, beating him at CIV (because I'm better at it than he is), and twilight imperium (which I'm much better at than he is), and other games, and also playing some that he's better at (why the fuck do I not win Terra Mystica very often? Reeeeeee.) I also enjoy just going on walks together and being in the same room and like I'm super sexually attracted to him.

Sure, we have normal issues that come up... Like when I get sucked into a new hobby and forget he exists for a bit, or when he asks me to stop doing something to help with something (it's really hard for me to get back into whatever I was doing and I lose hours of work), but these are all manageable.

however, he hasn't read Dune. He knows nothing about them. He doesn't get my moisture jokes. He doesn't get that I tattooed my eyes blue entirely, started wearing a still suit to not waste water and am now addicted to something called "the spice". He doesn't understand when I talk about being preborn, or how we all have a bit vladimir harkonnen in us. He doesn't get why I now walk with odd rhythm, or have giant hooks, or how I suddenly get places so quickly. He keeps asking to see my sword, even though I've tried explaining that I can't show him that!

Is this relationship salvageable? I really do love him, but... I don't know how to fix this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
Stealth Warship
618 Posts
Are you saying you're not sure how ambitious your husband is within his career as a dork?

·
Infractionated
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying you're not sure how ambitious your husband is within his career as a dork?
Well, no that's not really the issue. He's also never read the Silmarillion and doesn't get those references either. I just don't mind that as much.

Dune is love. Dune is life.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
I know some thing about Dune through cultural osmosis. But when I was still reading books, I was generally more into fantasy than science fiction.

Also, I have read part of the Silmarillion. I think part of why I didn't finish it was that I was reading it on the computer, in a PDF, and that just doesn't work as well as having an actual book.

·
Registered
Stealth Warship
618 Posts
Well, no that's not really the issue. He's also never read the Silmarillion and doesn't get those references either. I just don't mind that as much.

Dune is love. Dune is life.
I know it was the basis of the 40k universe...

...ahh to live in a right wing, overzealous, techno-religious imperium

Reactions: Pifanjr

·
Infractionated
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know some thing about Dune through cultural osmosis. But when I was still reading books, I was generally more into fantasy than science fiction.

Also, I have read part of the Silmarillion. I think part of why I didn't finish it was that I was reading it on the computer, in a PDF, and that just doesn't work as well as having an actual book.
I don't think me complaining about moisture loss when emptying our dehumidifier counts as "Cultural Osmosis"

At least you're cute, despite having the water fat face of an off worlder. I guess I'll keep you around, despite not understanding my culture. :p

·
Infractionated
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know it was the basis of the 40k universe...

...ahh to live in a right wing, overzealous, techno-religious imperium
You dare....to come on this thread... And post.... 40k bullshit?!

Fantasy is obviously superior. Get some some skaven and maybe you'll have a shot, but as it stands?

·
Registered
Stealth Warship
618 Posts
You dare....to come on this thread... And post.... 40k bullshit?!
I'm happy in my relationship with popular culture.

How dare you. Come join my Discord D&D server and say that to my character's face!
No I'm not picking fights with packs of rabid nerds - it's dangerous.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Haha @daleks_exterminate you kill me. You are going to have to tie him down and read them to him. Also the new film is coming out and it looks good.

My partner hadn't seen Star Trek and I am slowly working him into it. I would hate to have to end things - we have a house...a dog...

·
Beer Guardian
PerC Host, ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE
14,892 Posts
I'm an entp. I'm in a relationship with an intp. Full disclosure, we're actually married. We have been for three years. Four years? Some time between three and five? (I'm terrible with dates, alright?)

I love him so much. Iike spending time with him. I like talking to him, hanging out with him, beating him at CIV (because I'm better at it than he is), and twilight imperium (which I'm much better at than he is), and other games, and also playing some that he's better at (why the fuck do I not win Terra Mystica very often? Reeeeeee.) I also enjoy just going on walks together and being in the same room and like I'm super sexually attracted to him.

Sure, we have normal issues that come up... Like when I get sucked into a new hobby and forget he exists for a bit, or when he asks me to stop doing something to help with something (it's really hard for me to get back into whatever I was doing and I lose hours of work), but these are all manageable.

however, he hasn't read Dune. He knows nothing about them. He doesn't get my moisture jokes. He doesn't get that I tattooed my eyes blue entirely, started wearing a still suit to not waste water and am now addicted to something called "the spice". He doesn't understand when I talk about being preborn, or how we all have a bit vladimir harkonnen in us. He doesn't get why I now walk with odd rhythm, or have giant hooks, or how I suddenly get places so quickly. He keeps asking to see my sword, even though I've tried explaining that I can't show him that!

Is this relationship salvageable? I really do love him, but... I don't know how to fix this.

Thanks.
Have you thought about buying him the first book in the series and see how he does with it? What's his position on Dr. Who? Star Trek? Star Wars? Harry Potter? LoTR?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts