Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have completed the Myers Briggs personality test multiple times and have consistently finished with INFJ as my result. Much of the type description as well as the inner experiences explained by other INFJ's on threads and blogs correspondes with my own thoughts and behaviors;however, there are a number of charachteristics/qualities that do not correspond with me or are the complete opposite. I will list some traits here which may or may not sound analogous to the qualities of an INFJ.

-I consider myself very open minded. (I have seen posts labeling INFJs as close-minded and prone to joining cults.)
-I am more likely to procrasinate than start early.
-I think alot about philosophy. (I'm a philosopy student).
-I care alot about fitness and nutrition and am really into yoga.
-I am unsure about a moral code because I am constantly thinking about moral philosophy.
-I am quiet but at the same time social.
-I like to argue.
-I would prefer communism to capitalism.
-I am not moody.

Anyways, I am looking for feedback on your thoughts towards whether or not I sound/do not sound INFJ or if it is normal to have these differences. If any traits I listed seem completely unnecessary then ignore them.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
There's nothing in your OP that sounds particularly non-INFJ to me and, in fact, much of it sounds INFJ-ish. If you've consistently tested INFJ and you think INFJ descriptions fit you better than descriptions of the other types, I'd say it's unlikely you're not an INFJ.

I'm pretty active in "type me" threads at another MBTI forum and have had quite a few back-and-forths with INFJs, and I think it's fair to say that INFJs are, at least in some ways, the "least F of the F's" and the "least NF of the NF's." INTJs and INFJs have a lot in common, and it's pretty common for either type to find themselves torn between sciences and humanities in terms of academic interests.

I also think it's fairly common for INFJs to test as INTJs, but the reverse doesn't seem to be nearly as common.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If you go purely based off of the dichotomies method of MBTI tests, then you will probably be confused because really we are all introverts and extroverts to some degree. It all deals with what Jung began his work on: cognitive functions.

If you haven't studied the cognitive functions yet, watch these two videos (1st Video Explains Fault of MBTI; 2nd Video Explains Functions Very Well):

As you saw, an INFJ has their functions in the following order: Ni - Fe - Ti - Se. Now, understanding the patterns of these letters and how they work with each other can really help you understand how they form the generalized profiles you see on the internet (the only thing I find DaveSuperPowers is wrong about when he says that the personality descriptions are false; not all that the description says is false as much of it just makes sense). Now, you wonder whether you are an INFJ or not. Really, you seem a lot like me: you are on the border between ISTP and INFJ because you have probably developed your Ni quite a bit. Considering the amount of thought you have put into your preferences in philosophy and forms of government (hinted by your belief in Communism over Capitalism), you definitely think a good deal and in terms of a bigger picture, putting you more as an Ni dom, hence an INFJ.

If you want to be even more certain of your type, just remember what DaveSuperPowers said of the INFJs and their temperament: they are NFs and therefore search for a deeper cause and meaning in almost, if not all that they do. Do you find yourself doing that? If not, then I would explore more into those functions and decide which ones you find yourself using and in what order. The order you may come up with may be out of whack as compared to the function orders you find on the function charts. Don't worry. Mine is too as an ISTP. I have strong Fe show up, but also get very impatient with emotional people at different times and it is my Inferior function (4th on the list).

Reactions: JCroucher
1 - 3 of 3 Posts