Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Referral Princess
1,386 Posts
I feel useless these days because I'm not working due to my back surgery last year and now another one on Wednesday. I fee like a bum every day :(

Reactions: Hastings

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yeah, I feel like this too. I'm a month from graduation, I don't have a job lined up, and I just decided grad school isn't right for me. I'm also going to be living with my parents. That's like being a bum, I suppose. But I'll be a very well educated bum.

·
Registered
643 Posts
If I may, you should really consider strengthening your relationship with positivity / upgrading its prominence in your entire way of seeing and experiencing life, particularly around the things that you most struggle with. It took me a long time to work out embracing this without it appearing as any form of fakeness or self brainwashing, and the results are really healthy. I have to advocate it, and hope that it doesn't sound repulsive to you, as it once did to me :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I currently reside near the beach. Unfortunately, I have a prior engagement burning the world down. Too, I am a bit of a hermit bum. Nevertheless, I think you may be on to something.
we could have a flag, and tents, and ahhh, it would be so much fun! i love ultimate frisbee!!!!!! too bad they banned digging really deep holes on beaches in Cali. or, at least that's what i heard. Means no more adventures to the center of the Earth :(

Finding the positivity in being a bum. life, thy name is INFJ.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I may, you should really consider strengthening your relationship with positivity / upgrading its prominence in your entire way of seeing and experiencing life, particularly around the things that you most struggle with. It took me a long time to work out embracing this without it appearing as any form of fakeness or self brainwashing, and the results are really healthy. I have to advocate it, and hope that it doesn't sound repulsive to you, as it once did to me :)
When i did that, i turned into an ESTP for about a month. best month of my life actually. i had a sense of direction, picked up my first girlfriend, had a large circle of friends, went out on an every other day basis, and somehow managed good grades. However, it turned out to be a false sense of direction--I though i could be happy in business (lols). I've been on a struggle to reclaim that time period ever since. Or at least, what made it possible. i believe it was the sense of direction. Good thing i've tried just about everything. Next semester i'd like to give acting and education a shot, with my focus on education.

Shouldn't be making decisions like this tonight, it's been a rough one...

·
Banned
442 Posts
Life is hard and it sucks sometimes but you have to stay positive. As long as you continually build up skills employers want and you know how to market yourself you won't be a bum.

Reactions: Vivid Melody

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
With a bit of constructive laziness (emphasis on laziness) and a healthy understanding of how systems function, there is no reason you cannot become a rather successful bum, perhaps even the most successful bum who ever lived, and even enjoy a modicum of creature comforts in the process. Where there is a lack of a will, there is a way.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've been a bum for years, albeit one who's been fortunate enough to be able to live with his parents. I never did do very well in the job market, and I got more and more discouraged as time went on until I reached a point where I gave up and relied on my parents completely. I have been at this point for years now. I have not worked since 2004, and I've never been completely financially independent in my life. I've been living day to day taking my parents' resources for granted over the years, but they won't be around forever. I've gotta change something somehow, being a bum sucks when you don't have anyone to back you up. But I'm guessing that I'm pretty much unemployable by this point after being out of work for so long, plus my verbal communication and customer service skills are abysmal.

Funny thing is, I did end up finishing college at a top university, so I am also a very educated bum.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With a bit of constructive laziness (emphasis on laziness) and a healthy understanding of how systems function, there is no reason you cannot become a rather successful bum, perhaps even the most successful bum who ever lived, and even enjoy a modicum of creature comforts in the process. Where there is a lack of a will, there is a way.
I discussed this just the other day, actually. We came to the conclusion that the most effective sign would read: "Bet you can't hit me with a quarter"

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
but i'll be a happy bum... some how. any other INFJ's ever feel like this?
I'm living it! :) (Pretty darn close anyway, I even got the bum scruff going on.)

Only problem is I do have a new truck, so that kind of ruins the image. However, that's also part of the reason I live like a bum! The payment is like 70% of what I earn. XD

But I generally expect to be poor my whole life. There are times where I have thought... "how much easier would it be if I just left and became homeless in the south where the weather is better?"

I don't care about anything material, except maybe my computer for its entertainment value.

But I think I would miss showers and a comfy bed. Having a bed is probably the major reason I wouldn't want to live homeless.

So basically I put up with life's bullsh** for the sake of having a bed to sleep in I guess.... though my present job, I do enjoy it! So that's more than most people can say, even if they have more $$$.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts