Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

Its been awhile since I've posted, but I've gotten back into MBTI and I'm totally confused about my type. Instead of telling you my preconceptions, would you all mind giving your opinion? Preferably with at least a sentence or two of reasons for your choice? Thank you kindly! (Edit: I presented myself as overly perfect--corrected to reflect me being not a wonderful person.)

1)What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
I identified as one type pretty early in life, and very much took it on as an “identity,” consciously trying to become that (stereo)type. Talking to people about how I was as a child and a teen made me question those test results.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
A loving spouse, a group of friends nearby, a steady and fulfilling career, a quirky library, a body of skills that I've mastered, and preferably a small house in the country. I often think about how my life will be when I’m retired, and I have role models for healthy aging and happy lives. I try to live in a way that will get me there.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
I feel great when I do public speaking or interviews. Recently, I gave a speech at a national conference and the organizer told a colleague, “You know, I didn’t expect much of your friend because she’s kind of mousy, but then she got up there and it was like, whoa-confidence!” I love that Cinderella feeling, like you don’t think much of this girl and then she shows up at the ball and just floors everyone.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
My biggest challenge is getting things done. I impose very harsh schedules on myself, but I have a hard time juggling many different projects because I get caught up in one. As a student I hated to show up to class unprepared, so if I didn't read everything I just wouldn't go. I have a hard time focusing on reading--I either get the gist and want to move on, or I get excited about it and have to Google everything related to a tangential topic. Or several tangential topics. Otherwise I feel like I can't understand the material.

I find it hard to look people in the eye and I trip up on words because I’m thinking “oh God, what do they think of me? Am I talking too long? Are they bored?”

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
In little decisions, I try to push the decision onto the group and let them do what they want to do. Here’s how I make big decisions: I thoroughly research all options, think about possible outcomes, track the steps necessary to achieve the best outcomes, and then choose based on which option would allow me to live the best (acceptable to my family/significant other, most leisure, most fulfilling work, most opportunity to make a difference in peoples’ lives according to my talents). But really, I usually know what I want as soon as the research is done—I just rationalize the decision. My ability to rationalize even really stupid decisions gets me in trouble.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
I’m not sure what this means. I would rather NOT be the leader on a group project. I'm an awful administrator.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
Recently, I got obsessed with color analysis, like, what colors look best on you based on your skin tone, etc. I got all my clothes out and arranged them in rainbow order and spend a whole weekend thinking about how different shades of blue or green looked with different shades of brown. I was totally giddy.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
I just read everything I can, but it becomes clear when I teach other people.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

My life is organized—I’m never late, I’m pretty good at keeping a mental calendar, and when I get really busy my first instinct is to plan backward from deadlines to make sure I get everything done. But my room is and always has been a mess, and I do procrastinate, sometimes disastrously. The busier I am, the more organized I am, but I almost never manage to finish *everything*.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
Not all ideas require support--I'll try out any idea to see if it helps clarify things, even if it's not empirically true (I think of the MBTI this way). If someone is making a *claim* that I'm supposed to accept as true or false, then sure, I want to know their evidence. It drives me crazy when people respond to type requests with "You're ISTJ" or whatever. What is someone supposed to do with that? Just accept some random person's opinion with no evidence?

I have a tendency to not believe something is "real" until I talk about it with other people. I might think an idea or belief has potential, but I can't accept it as part of my identity until I check in with others to make sure I'm not committing myself to something with unseen, maybe inhumane implications. Lots of political beliefs, for example, ring true or appeal to me, but I like to check with reliable people to talk through the consequences of those beliefs.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
The former.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
Think before speaking, and group discussions—there’s less pressure on me to speak.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I look before I leap. I value action more than words, but I’m really, really stressed out about actually putting ideas into practice. It seems like so much effort and the idea is always better than the reality anyway.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
I’d say it’s about 50/50 on accepting or rejecting on this one.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I get emotional, sometimes I get extra needy with my boyfriend, I get suddenly afraid and anxious about the tiniest things, I over-analyze people’s responses to me, I either retreat into my private hidey-hole or I go out and drink too much and complain with friends, I feel like I’m an impostor and a failure, and most of all I feel the weight of all the *future* possibilities that get closed off whenever I fail. I’m skeptical that these are type-dependent, though.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
People who just open their mouths and spew out whatever pops into their heads. People who can’t control themselves and have emotional outbursts or do things with no consideration for future consequences. Aggressive people.

I get upset when people are stuck up, and it took me a long time to realize it's because I am a *horrible* snob.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
Relationships! I enjoy philosophical conversations, but I tend to think most people are "pseudointellectuals" and being so judgmental makes me uncomfortable. Talking to a friend about her breakup is way more exciting.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life
Cleaning my poor car. Brushing my hair. I'll forget to shower for a few days and just wear a hat and hope no one notices.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
Quiet. My mentors tell me to stop apologizing so much. I’m inconsistent—sometimes friends complain that I go into my shell for a few weeks and then I’ll come out and make all these plans. I’m not great at following through with plans when they involve other people (I’m pretty good at following through with my own projects).

People think I’m very relaxed, but it’s more that I have a good sense of how long things take. I know that, if I wait until right before a deadline, I can sit down to write about something I’ve been thinking about for weeks and it will just be there. I can’t force it. I just close my eyes under the right kind of pressure and these words and ideas come out—and they’re better, more eloquent, and more precise than the things I write consciously. I don’t have to stress about getting my ideas straight because I know everything will be there when I need it, as long as I’ve done the proper preparation.

They would never say, “You’re so assertive!” or “You really need to look at the big picture," or “You’re so prompt in responding to email!”

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Reading about whatever pops into my head on the internet. Writing 30 pages of a “side project.” Researching career advice or relationship advice or art history or some other skill I might need to have in the future. Also cooking. Way too much cooking.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one has any ideas? Would more people reply if I did a shorter survey?

[If it helps, I worried for awhile that no one liked me because no one responded, told myself that was stupid, got angry that posts that were blatant grabs for attention get more responses, told myself that was petty, fretted that a bump might be against the rules, and decided to do one anyway. So yeah, I'm really interested in getting some advice from you fine people, and *bump* :)]

·
Registered
876 Posts
You seem like an ISFJ maybe an ESFJ

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your response! May I ask why?

I find both unlikely, because I don't have the memory or the sense of "past" that Si-doms I know have, I am *awful* with details, and I'm pretty irresponsible. I admit, though, I'm really puzzled by Jung's reading of Si in Psychological Types (animals and inanimate objects seen as demons and spirits?! But that's so...intuitive!) and I think there's much, much more going on there then we give Si credit for. But in terms of the conventional definition of Si, I'd say it's my lowest function by far.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Thanks for your response! May I ask why?
Of coarse

I identified as one type pretty early in life, and very much took it on as an “identity,” consciously trying to become that (stereo)type. Talking to people about how I was as a child and a teen made me question those test results.
Which type?

A loving spouse, a group of friends nearby, a steady and fulfilling career, a quirky library, a body of skills that I've mastered, and preferably a small house in the country. I often think about how my life will be when I’m retired, and I have role models for healthy aging and happy lives. I try to live in a way that will get me there.
This could be Si

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
I feel great when I do public speaking or interviews. Recently, I gave a speech at a national conference and the organizer told a colleague, “You know, I didn’t expect much of your friend because she’s kind of mousy, but then she got up there and it was like, whoa-confidence!” I love that Cinderella feeling, like you don’t think much of this girl and then she shows up at the ball and just floors everyone.
Fe

My biggest challenge is getting things done. I impose very harsh schedules on myself, but I have a hard time juggling many different projects because I get caught up in one. As a student I hated to show up to class unprepared, so if I didn't read everything I just wouldn't go. I have a hard time focusing on reading--I either get the gist and want to move on, or I get excited about it and have to Google everything related to a tangential topic. Or several tangential topics. Otherwise I feel like I can't understand the material.
Very Si

I find it hard to look people in the eye and I trip up on words because I’m thinking “oh God, what do they think of me? Am I talking too long? Are they bored?”
Introvert and an Fe user

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
In little decisions, I try to push the decision onto the group and let them do what they want to do. Here’s how I make big decisions: I thoroughly research all options, think about possible outcomes, track the steps necessary to achieve the best outcomes, and then choose based on which option would allow me to live the best (acceptable to my family/significant other, most leisure, most fulfilling work, most opportunity to make a difference in peoples’ lives according to my talents). But really, I usually know what I want as soon as the research is done—I just rationalize the decision. My ability to rationalize even really stupid decisions gets me in trouble.
Fe

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
I’m not sure what this means. I would rather NOT be the leader on a group project. I'm an awful administrator.
Si

Recently, I got obsessed with color analysis, like, what colors look best on you based on your skin tone, etc. I got all my clothes out and arranged them in rainbow order and spend a whole weekend thinking about how different shades of blue or green looked with different shades of brown. I was totally giddy.
Judger not perceiver

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
I just read everything I can, but it becomes clear when I teach other people.
Si

My life is organized—I’m never late, I’m pretty good at keeping a mental calendar, and when I get really busy my first instinct is to plan backward from deadlines to make sure I get everything done. But my room is and always has been a mess, and I do procrastinate, sometimes disastrously. The busier I am, the more organized I am, but I almost never manage to finish *everything*.
Slight lean towards judger

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
Not all ideas require support--I'll try out any idea to see if it helps clarify things, even if it's not empirically true (I think of the MBTI this way). If someone is making a *claim* that I'm supposed to accept as true or false, then sure, I want to know their evidence. It drives me crazy when people respond to type requests with "You're ISTJ" or whatever. What is someone supposed to do with that? Just accept some random person's opinion with no evidence?
I can't tell with this one

I have a tendency to not believe something is "real" until I talk about it with other people. I might think an idea or belief has potential, but I can't accept it as part of my identity until I check in with others to make sure I'm not committing myself to something with unseen, maybe inhumane implications. Lots of political beliefs, for example, ring true or appeal to me, but I like to check with reliable people to talk through the consequences of those beliefs.
Fe

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
The former.
Fe

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
Think before speaking, and group discussions—there’s less pressure on me to speak.
This one I'm unsure about.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I look before I leap. I value action more than words, but I’m really, really stressed out about actually putting ideas into practice. It seems like so much effort and the idea is always better than the reality anyway.
Judger

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
I’d say it’s about 50/50 on accepting or rejecting on this one.
unclear

I get emotional, sometimes I get extra needy with my boyfriend, I get suddenly afraid and anxious about the tiniest things, I over-analyze people’s responses to me, I either retreat into my private hidey-hole or I go out and drink too much and complain with friends, I feel like I’m an impostor and a failure, and most of all I feel the weight of all the *future* possibilities that get closed off whenever I fail. I’m skeptical that these are type-dependent, though.
Si with inferior Ne

People who just open their mouths and spew out whatever pops into their heads. People who can’t control themselves and have emotional outbursts or do things with no consideration for future consequences. Aggressive people.

I get upset when people are stuck up, and it took me a long time to realize it's because I am a *horrible* snob.
This sounds like an IxFJ

Relationships! I enjoy philosophical conversations, but I tend to think most people are "pseudointellectuals" and being so judgmental makes me uncomfortable. Talking to a friend about her breakup is way more exciting.
Fe

Cleaning my poor car. Brushing my hair. I'll forget to shower for a few days and just wear a hat and hope no one notices.
No Se

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
Quiet. My mentors tell me to stop apologizing so much. I’m inconsistent—sometimes friends complain that I go into my shell for a few weeks and then I’ll come out and make all these plans. I’m not great at following through with plans when they involve other people (I’m pretty good at following through with my own projects).

People think I’m very relaxed, but it’s more that I have a good sense of how long things take. I know that, if I wait until right before a deadline, I can sit down to write about something I’ve been thinking about for weeks and it will just be there. I can’t force it. I just close my eyes under the right kind of pressure and these words and ideas come out—and they’re better, more eloquent, and more precise than the things I write consciously. I don’t have to stress about getting my ideas straight because I know everything will be there when I need it, as long as I’ve done the proper preparation.

They would never say, “You’re so assertive!” or “You really need to look at the big picture," or “You’re so prompt in responding to email!”
Introvert

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Reading about whatever pops into my head on the internet. Writing 30 pages of a “side project.” Researching career advice or relationship advice or art history or some other skill I might need to have in the future. Also cooking. Way too much cooking.
I got nothing for this one

This is why I think you are an ISFJ

Thanks again!
You're welcome :proud:

Reactions: Bathilda

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Caneaster, @Gurpy Thank you both so much for your responses!

About Si: I should mention that my job involves reading and discussing very theoretical, philosophical, quintessentially N texts. I read upwards of a dozen books a week and discuss them in seminars. So when I say I have trouble focusing on reading because I research things, I mean I have trouble focusing on an article about the metaphysical foundations of quantum mechanics because I get really excited about philosophical commitments of symmetry-theories or I need to go refresh my knowledge of some relevant math (That's an exaggeration, but not my much!). Does that still sound like Si? I might've skewed the test because I contrast my *job* with what I do to *relax* from said job.

I'm generally confused by this:

Quote Originally Posted by Bathilda View Post
Si
I thought Si was the quintessential administrator-function?

I'm totally willing to entertain ISFJ, it's just a new thought! I'm drawing all my Si knowledge from theory and from the Si's I know, who tend to be very stereotypical motherly types, which I'm very not.

·
*Triple Thanks*
3,287 Posts
Hope this is of use.

Hi everyone,

Its been awhile since I've posted, but I've gotten back into MBTI and I'm totally confused about my type. Instead of telling you my preconceptions, would you all mind giving your opinion? Preferably with at least a sentence or two of reasons for your choice? Thank you kindly! (Edit: I presented myself as overly perfect--corrected to reflect me being not a wonderful person.) Which is pious perfectionism...an INFJ trait...being humble in the service of furthering one's own perfection...which causes pride...which requires more humility...

A loving spouse, a group of friends nearby, a steady and fulfilling career, a quirky library, a body of skills that I've mastered, and preferably a small house in the country. I often think about how my life will be when I’m retired, and I have role models for healthy aging and happy lives. I try to live in a way that will get me there. I don't know...some would look at that paragraph and say, "INFJ" but I recognize that's typism.

I feel great when I do public speaking or interviews. Recently, I gave a speech at a national conference and the organizer told a colleague, “You know, I didn’t expect much of your friend because she’s kind of mousy, but then she got up there and it was like, whoa-confidence!” I love that Cinderella feeling, like you don’t think much of this girl and then she shows up at the ball and just floors everyone. INFJ...more of the humility/pride cycle

I find it hard to look people in the eye and I trip up on words because I’m thinking “oh God, what do they think of me? Am I talking too long? Are they bored?” Standard issue Introvert (without schizoid PD)

In little decisions, I try to push the decision onto the group and let them do what they want to do. Fe Here’s how I make big decisions: I thoroughly research all options, think about possible outcomes, track the steps necessary to achieve the best outcomes, and then choose based on which option would allow me to live the best (acceptable to my family/significant other, most leisure, most fulfilling work, most opportunity to make a difference in peoples’ lives according to my talents). Ni/Fe But really, I usually know what I want as soon as the research is done—I just rationalize the decision. My ability to rationalize even really stupid decisions gets me in trouble. DEFINITELY an INFJ trait! JK ;)

I’m not sure what this means. I would rather NOT be the leader on a group project. I'm an awful administrator. Standard issue Introvert

Recently, I got obsessed with color analysis, like, what colors look best on you based on your skin tone, etc. I got all my clothes out and arranged them in rainbow order and spend a whole weekend thinking about how different shades of blue or green looked with different shades of brown. I was totally giddy. That sounds like fun.

I just read everything I can, but it becomes clear when I teach other people. Fe

My life is organized—I’m never late, I’m pretty good at keeping a mental calendar, and when I get really busy my first instinct is to plan backward from deadlines to make sure I get everything done. But my room is and always has been a mess, and I do procrastinate, sometimes disastrously. The busier I am, the more organized I am, but I almost never manage to finish *everything*. Again, stereotypical INxJ behavior but I'm not typist.

Not all ideas require support--I'll try out any idea to see if it helps clarify things, even if it's not empirically true (I think of the MBTI this way). If someone is making a *claim* that I'm supposed to accept as true or false, then sure, I want to know their evidence. It drives me crazy when people respond to type requests with "You're ISTJ" or whatever. What is someone supposed to do with that? Just accept some random person's opinion with no evidence? You're INFJ...just accept it. ;)

I have a tendency to not believe something is "real" until I talk about it with other people. Fe Fe Fe Fe Fe I might think an idea or belief has potential, but I can't accept it as part of my identity until I check in with others to make sure I'm not committing myself to something with unseen, maybe inhumane implications. Fe Fe Fe Fe Fe Lots of political beliefs, for example, ring true or appeal to me, but I like to check with reliable people to talk through the consequences of those beliefs. Fe Fe Fe Fe Fe

The former. Fe

Think before speaking, and group discussions—there’s less pressure on me to speak. Introvert

I look before I leap. I value action more than words, but I’m really, really stressed out about actually putting ideas into practice. It seems like so much effort and the idea is always better than the reality anyway. Introvert judger

I’d say it’s about 50/50 on accepting or rejecting on this one. Come on...TV trumps friends any day.

I get emotional, sometimes I get extra needy with my boyfriend, I get suddenly afraid and anxious about the tiniest things, I over-analyze people’s responses to me, I either retreat into my private hidey-hole or I go out and drink too much and complain with friends, I feel like I’m an impostor and a failure, and most of all I feel the weight of all the *future* possibilities that get closed off whenever I fail. I’m skeptical that these are type-dependent, though. Okay, this time I'm going to allow it...stereotypical INFJ response. Ni Ni Ni Ni Ni / Fe Fe Fe Fe Fe

People who just open their mouths and spew out whatever pops into their heads. People who can’t control themselves and have emotional outbursts or do things with no consideration for future consequences. Aggressive people. I hope this isn't me :unsure:

I get upset when people are stuck up, and it took me a long time to realize it's because I am a *horrible* snob. Another INFJ stereotype that I don't endorse.

Relationships! I enjoy philosophical conversations, but I tend to think most people are "pseudointellectuals" and being so judgmental makes me uncomfortable. Talking to a friend about her breakup is way more exciting. Fe Fe Fe

Cleaning my poor car. Brushing my hair. I'll forget to shower for a few days and just wear a hat and hope no one notices. Eeeeeewwwwww

Quiet. My mentors tell me to stop apologizing so much. This would be a valid IxFJ trait. I’m inconsistent—sometimes friends complain that I go into my shell for a few weeks and then I’ll come out and make all these plans. Introvert I’m not great at following through with plans when they involve other people (I’m pretty good at following through with my own projects). Introvert

People think I’m very relaxed, but it’s more that I have a good sense of how long things take. I know that, if I wait until right before a deadline, I can sit down to write about something I’ve been thinking about for weeks and it will just be there. I can’t force it. I just close my eyes under the right kind of pressure and these words and ideas come out—and they’re better, more eloquent, and more precise than the things I write consciously. I don’t have to stress about getting my ideas straight because I know everything will be there when I need it, as long as I’ve done the proper preparation. I do the same thing...I think it's an INxJ thing, although others may do it, too (I have no idea).

Thanks again!

Reactions: Bathilda

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Popinjay
Whaaaaaat?! I thought INFJs were an entirely mythical category made up for people who think they're special to mistype into! Is it even *possible* for an INFJ to mistype as another type?! :tongue:

Seriously, though, I absolutely had not considered this, because I never considered J (I have wandered around as an INTP for long times). But there seems to be widespread consensus that I'm FJ, which is totally shocking to me.

I don't really get the Ni "mystical" thing, though. Can you clarify what rang as Ni for you (since you know it better!)?

·
Registered
187 Posts
@Caneaster, @Gurpy Thank you both so much for your responses!

About Si: I should mention that my job involves reading and discussing very theoretical, philosophical, quintessentially N texts. I read upwards of a dozen books a week and discuss them in seminars. So when I say I have trouble focusing on reading because I research things, I mean I have trouble focusing on an article about the metaphysical foundations of quantum mechanics because I get really excited about philosophical commitments of symmetry-theories or I need to go refresh my knowledge of some relevant math (That's an exaggeration, but not my much!). Does that still sound like Si? I might've skewed the test because I contrast my *job* with what I do to *relax* from said job.
Hmm, I find it strange your OP had so little Ti. Would you mind taking the function clarifier tests here and here?

·
*Triple Thanks*
3,287 Posts
@Popinjay
Whaaaaaat?! I thought INFJs were an entirely mythical category made up for people who think they're special to mistype into! Is it even *possible* for an INFJ to mistype as another type?! :tongue:

Seriously, though, I absolutely had not considered this, because I never considered J (I have wandered around as an INTP for long times). But there seems to be widespread consensus that I'm FJ, which is totally shocking to me.

I don't really get the Ni "mystical" thing, though. Can you clarify what rang as Ni for you (since you know it better!)?
It's a bit of deductive reasoning. First I determine that you are definitely an FJ...zero question of that. Second I determine you are definitely an introvert...zero question of that. Third I determine that I see little evidence of Si or ISFJ in your post (while several times I marked what I saw as evidence of Ni and INFJ). Admittedly, the introverted functions are harder to point and say, "There it is." It's more like, "There it isn't so there it must be." When it comes to IS vs IN, it also comes down to a hunch on my part.

The introverted functions are kind of confusing. I've never seen a definition (including the below) that I liked:

Fi - internally-generated ideas, harmony, and systems of value that seek to judge what is good and what is right
Ti - internally-generated ideas, reasoning, and systems of logic that seek to judge what is sound and what is true
Ni - subconscious processes that lead to knowledge you did not seek (source unknown but generally surmisable/deducible)
Si - subconscious processes that lead to knowledge you did not seek (source experience/memory/extrapolation thereof)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Don't know how much I'm weighing in here, but I agree with Gurpy. Your answers indicated tons of Si and Fe. I'd say you were leaning ISFJ, because of your "cinderella feeling". It's something that an extrovert is unlikely to have due to their natural confidence.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
@Caneaster
But of course! Haven't seen this one before. I've bolded the parts that seem most true.

TL;DR:

Primary: Ne-Ni. Not sure--I'm still not at all clear on what Ni might look like. The only concrete examples I've seen are trivial, i.e., "I use my Ni when I see a more efficient way to do something!" or blatantly magical thinking, i.e., "I thought about a long lost friend and she called me the next day!" I do have "a-ha!" moments, but only when I'm thinking about big, complex problems--what I don't understand is how that can be THE major way someone interacts with the world, and the test description didn't help.
Aux: Fi*. I don’t agree with the test’s designation of Fe. If we characterize Fe, as Jung and Myers both do, as *awareness* of others’ emotions and the ability to empathize, rather than actual social skill, I am undoubtedly an Fe-user.
Tertiary: Ti
Inferior?: Fe* (see above)> Se>Si>Te.

OK, Pardon the wall of text!:
h.___I have a restless and active (some might even say hyperactive) mind. It is constantly generating new ideas and seeing new connections, associations, and possibilities (“the possibilities are endless!”). I often see random connections or parallels between things that others fail to see or appreciate. I love playing with words, ideas, associations, and quips. Compelled to explore and exhaust all the options and possibilities, I struggle to make decisions or draw firm conclusions. When a promising new idea or possibility comes to me, I tend to get really excited and want to share it with others. Unfortunately, the excitement often wanes once the novelty wears off or the idea proves less tenable. These ups and downs can make it hard for me to stick with one thing or to finish what I start. Since I tend to bounce from one idea and interest to the next, I sometimes wonder if I’ll ever accomplish anything important. I know I have a lot of creative potential, but I often struggle to harness and focus it. Others may see me as quirky, chatty, distractible, inquisitive, creative, unconventional, and open-minded.

b.___ In some respects, I feel like an alien in the world. I am more of an observer and analyzer of life than a participant. This can make it scary for me to act or make big changes in my life. Typically, my mind is fairly zen-like, characterized by a state of relaxed awareness that straddles the conscious and unconscious mind [I don't know what this means...isn't the mind always engaging in conscious and unconscious processes?]. In this state, my mind is not restless or flooded with random ideas, but is generally calm and synchronized. When presented with a problem, my mind works in a unified way to simultaneously see different perspectives and “realize” answers. At times, these answers or insights can come suddenly and all at once, like a tidal wave of knowing; for me, there is a real difference between believing something and knowing something. I can get discouraged, however, when others don’t seem to understand or respond to my insights with a similar sense of conviction. In many cases, people seem to disregard my insights, suggest I’m being too negative or pessimistic, or think I’m blowing things out of proportion. But I’m simply being honest, calling things as I see them, and in most cases, I’m eventually proven right. Indeed, I see it as my primary role to perceive things accurately and correct false perceptions—to bring the truth to light. Despite seeming opinionated and strong-minded, it is not unusual for others to turn to me for answers, insights, or advice. [I don’t know, because I almost never voice my insights—when I do, though, people seem to respond well to them, to think they’re accurate or astute, so I’m not sure this fits. If it does, then this might be #1.]

c.___I spend a fair amount of time surveying and weighing my personal feelings and values. Since it is important that I live a moral and authentic life [morality and authenticity don’t jive with me as much as, say, enjoyable and peaceful and useful], I see it as important to consider exactly what that means and might look like for me. I need time to listen to what my heart and conscience tell me is right. I think the world would be a better place if everyone learned to tune into his or her inner moral compass. Part of my moral code involves “fighting for the underdogs”—those who are poor, sick, disabled, victims of injustice, or otherwise find themselves in unfortunate circumstances. I also enjoy caring for children, plants, animals, or whatever personally affects or moves me. I have the ability to deeply empathize with others. When I imagine myself in others’ shoes, I feel for them and it inspires me to respond. Others typically see me as a good listener—empathetic and non-judgmental. At times, I can feel emotionally over-burdened, having internalized others’ pain and struggles. When it comes to emotions, I tend to be more of a receiver than an a expresser [YES THIS]. I manage my feelings on my own rather than unloading them onto others. I therefore feel that most people don’t really know me or see what is most important to me [YES ALL OF THIS].

g.___Independence, autonomy, and personal freedom are among my highest values; some people might even call me a loner. While I have little interest or aptitude in leading or managing others, I also don’t want people controlling me or telling me what to do. When working within a system or organization, I often find myself at odds with it and end up looking for ways to circumvent what I see as unnecessary rules or inefficient methods [ONLY when no one will get in trouble!]. This of course can be anxiety-producing, so working for myself is probably my best option. Perhaps more than anything, I want to find work that I enjoy; my work is of utmost importance to me. Unfortunately, finding my ideal work has been difficult due to my strong need for autonomy, as well recurrent indecisiveness about what I should be doing. Efficiency is another of my top priorities. Thinking of time as a currency for accomplishment, I can be rather impatient when it comes to navigating unexpected hurdles or obstacles. Outwardly, I present as easygoing and affable, readily adapting and meshing to the social context. Inwardly, I am far more serious and resolute, constantly thinking about my work or projects and what my next step should be.

d.___I am a “people person.” I’m generally warm and personable, with a knack for making quick connections with people. I like to talk and routinely enjoy conversation with friends, family, co-workers, and even strangers. Generally speaking, I am firm and forthright in expressing my views and opinions. While typically tactful, I am reluctant to let my voice go unheard. I enjoy teaching, managing, and directing people, helping them to be and achieve their very best. In many ways, I feel responsible for the emotional well-being and success of others. I want them to excel, both individually and interpersonally. I enjoy finding ways of bringing people together, helping them communicate and get on the same emotional page. If I’m being honest, I’m really not as good at listening to others as I am at advising or teaching them. On more than one occasion, I have been guilty of giving unsolicited advice or opening my mouth when I probably shouldn’t have. Nevertheless, people often turn to me for support and guidance regarding their lives and relationships.
[What I would take out of both of these is that I’m more in tune with others’ feelings than my own. I am very, very clumsy in dealing with my own emotions.]

Basically none of these:
f.___I am a fun-loving person who relishes spontaneous action. I don’t waste time over-thinking things. I usually perform better and enjoy myself more when I just do what comes naturally. I love taking in new experiences and sensations—new sights, sounds, tastes, and so on. I enjoy using my hands and losing myself in activities such as sports, sex, cooking, driving, dancing, shopping, exercising, and the like. If given a choice, I prefer to be up and moving around rather than sitting. I tend to get restless fairly quickly and am happier when I’m being active. I’m not a terribly abstract person and have never been a huge fan of book learning. I’d rather learn from experience than from books or lectures. In my view, experience is probably life’s best teacher. I’m also a highly observant person. I tend to notice and recall details that others may overlook. Keeping pace with current styles and fashions is also fun for me, including things like trendy cars, phones, fashions, hairstyles, decor, etc.

e.___I am generally a person of routine. I see no problem with continuing to do things the way they have been done in the past, with sticking to the “tried and true.” Doing so makes life simpler and keeps things consistent. I tend to agree with the old saying, “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it!” I don’t understand why so many people think it’s a good idea to modify or abandon time-tested methods or traditions (i.e., The Constitution, religious traditions, etc.). I personally believe that if something has been resilient enough to stand the test of time, it’s probably worth preserving and protecting. I enjoy reflecting on my personal past, as well as various traditions—familial, religious, historical, political, etc.—that are important to me. I feel safe, secure, nostalgic, and reassured when I reflect on these things. When it comes to money and material goods, I tend to be fairly conservative. I am typically careful not to be wasteful or extravagant in my expenditures. When it comes to work, I like to know exactly what the rules and procedures are so I can do my job properly. I feel the details of a job are important and should not be ignored or overlooked. Others see me as a loyal, reliable, dutiful, and responsible.

a.___I am a take-charge, no-nonsense type of person. I’m not afraid to take the lead or issue directives or correctives to others. My mind seems to work quite efficiently and decisively. It is typically easy for me to make decisions, give advice or instructions, and get things done without getting bogged down with emotional concerns. Others see me as firm and forthright, perhaps even blunt. I enjoy staying busy and using my time effectively. On the whole, I take a rational approach to life and can feel uncomfortable or inadequate in emotional situations. I’m more inclined to offer advice than to spend time commiserating. Consequently, I’m most comfortable in work-related situations, especially when analyzing problems, completing tasks, or issuing directives. I also enjoy thinking about strategies and logistics, or ways of making systems or processes more efficient and productive.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't know how much I'm weighing in here, but I agree with Gurpy. Your answers indicated tons of Si and Fe. I'd say you were leaning ISFJ, because of your "cinderella feeling". It's something that an extrovert is unlikely to have due to their natural confidence.
Thank you! I agree, I'm no extrovert. Now I'm super curious about Si.

It's a bit of deductive reasoning. First I determine that you are definitely an FJ...zero question of that. Second I determine you are definitely an introvert...zero question of that. Third I determine that I see little evidence of Si or ISFJ in your post (while several times I marked what I saw as evidence of Ni and INFJ). Admittedly, the introverted functions are harder to point and say, "There it is." It's more like, "There it isn't so there it must be." When it comes to IS vs IN, it also comes down to a hunch on my part.
@Popinjay

Thank you, that helps!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I also believe you to be a Sensor. While I get that your job is one of philosophical interpretation, there's a lot of Olympians and the like that are N and scientists that are SF, etc, etc... You seem very methodical, obedient, and dutiful in comparison to the INFJ's mystical, introspective and individualistic approach to life. The ISFJ is happy to life a happy and lawfully-led life whereas the INFJ is likely to have more long-term plans or ambitions (Ni). The ISFJ is also prone to the same kinds of colour-categorisation that you describe occasionally doing. You've also explained yourself easily and accurately, which the INFJ is more likely to be confused about (but that might just be a cliche). The ISFJ is more likely to want to fit in naturally, while the INFJ would rather express themselves. I hope that describes to you well enough what I think :happy:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I also believe you to be a Sensor. While I get that your job is one of philosophical interpretation, there's a lot of Olympians and the like that are N and scientists that are SF, etc, etc... You seem very methodical, obedient, and dutiful in comparison to the INFJ's mystical, introspective and individualistic approach to life. The ISFJ is happy to life a happy and lawfully-led life whereas the INFJ is likely to have more long-term plans or ambitions (Ni). The ISFJ is also prone to the same kinds of colour-categorisation that you describe occasionally doing. You've also explained yourself easily and accurately, which the INFJ is more likely to be confused about (but that might just be a cliche). The ISFJ is more likely to want to fit in naturally, while the INFJ would rather express themselves. I hope that describes to you well enough what I think :happy:
I'm glad you think I explain myself easily! Phew:) I'm going to totally think out loud here: if I am an ISFJ, the type descriptions and the function descriptions are dead wrong. I'm more comfortable with tradition than your average IN, true. Iconoclasm for iconoclasm's sake strikes me as immature--but I make up my *own* traditions, my *own* symbols, because no religion or ethnicity captures what I see to be the truth in a way that appeals to me, aethetically. I'm in no way comfortable with organized religions or political parties on the left or the right (though I don't think that's an N/S difference--ISTPs aren't exactly joiners!). I like holidays because I love the imagery, the symbolism, the way that Christmas and Easter echo this kind of primordial essence of Winter and Spring that humans around the world have celebrated for far longer than written records can attest to. But I'm also super into the smell of pine and how pretty spring flowers are and how nice it is to have a house decorated for (every. single.) holiday. Sensing, or intuiting? I really don't know.

What I don't see reflected in the ISFJ descriptions is *imagination*. Of course sensors imagine things, but they (seem) to imagine things like future children and maybe a world without violence. I was very much a Tolkienesque world-builder as a kid (and I still read a ton of fantasy). I made up languages, I talked to stuffed animals and made up histories for them. When I see a cup, I think about all the people who designed and made and shipped the cup, and worry that the cup is lonely when it isn't used. When I read a theoretical book, I think, "how could I turn this concept into a story? Or a character?" These seem to me like 'possibilities' (intuitive) rather than sensing, but I really don't know.

Mostly I just feel more at home with Intuitives. I feel like if you met me, you wouldn't have a shadow of a doubt that I'm an N. But I can't logically explain it, and I'm aware that I'm pretty good at "talking myself into" things about myself that aren't true. Like, apparently there's just no way I'm an INTP! :)

Maybe this comes down to needing better definitions for Si and Ni?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Holy mind blown, Batman--what if all the Sensor descriptions and definitions are just terrible? What if all these people I thought were Ns are actually Ss, who think they're N's because the descriptions make them out to be dull, obedient, conservative, small-minded bean counters? That's got to be true for at least a portion of N's. I've always thought the questions for N and S on most MBTI or function tests are terrible, and measuring general intelligence (or at least self-esteem)--"Do you see the general principle behind facts?" Nope, I'm too stupid. "Do you see the big picture?" Nope, just staring at those details, being obstinate. I mean, seriously, we can do better.

Edit: After a brief moment of trying on this idea, I'm not a sensor. I don't have a) clear and detailed recollections of the past, b) a desire to stay away from new experiences (I love new tastes, new places, travel on short notice with no problems), c) a desire to keep my world the same as it's always been, or d) even an awareness of how things have always been I'm the least likely person to notice that someone got new furniture, that a recipe tastes different, or other Si things, because I spend almost no time thinking about my past--it's just not part of my awareness. I think my sensey-ness is better explained by tert or inferior sensing (sensing is used to relax, or comes out under stress)--I just don't have the clarity that true sensors have, or the sense of duty that SJs have.

·
Banned
4,124 Posts
I've been reading through your responses (and thinking that if you're an ISFJ, you're my goddamn hero)...but judging from your general lack of Si and apparent inferior Se - "I love new tastes, new places, travel on short notice with no problems", yet in post #13 you judged both Si and Se as things you couldn't relate to at all - I'm going to go with INFJ.

You're still cool though. :happy:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Holy mind blown, Batman--what if all the Sensor descriptions and definitions are just terrible? What if all these people I thought were Ns are actually Ss, who think they're N's because the descriptions make them out to be dull, obedient, conservative, small-minded bean counters? That's got to be true for at least a portion of N's. I've always thought the questions for N and S on most MBTI or function tests are terrible, and measuring general intelligence (or at least self-esteem)--"Do you see the general principle behind facts?" Nope, I'm too stupid. "Do you see the big picture?" Nope, just staring at those details, being obstinate. I mean, seriously, we can do better.

Edit: After a brief moment of trying on this idea, I'm not a sensor. I don't have a) clear and detailed recollections of the past, b) a desire to stay away from new experiences (I love new tastes, new places, travel on short notice with no problems), c) a desire to keep my world the same as it's always been, or d) even an awareness of how things have always been I'm the least likely person to notice that someone got new furniture, that a recipe tastes different, or other Si things, because I spend almost no time thinking about my past--it's just not part of my awareness. I think my sensey-ness is better explained by tert or inferior sensing (sensing is used to relax, or comes out under stress)--I just don't have the clarity that true sensors have, or the sense of duty that SJs have.
Wow, that description of you pretty much sums up N. In that case, you seem to be a standard INFJ!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.