Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In his book, "Please Understand Me" David Kiersey states that all the NT's are calm. I think a great number of the NT"s that I know are calm. However, I know quite a few NT's (especially a lot of the enneagram 6 ones) that are a nervous wreck. Are you an NT, and are you calm?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I second this completely! I've been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), yet I'm NT and calm as well? It doesn't add up. Even if Kiersey was looking for the overall pattern, I have a hard time believing that we NTs are calm overall. NatetheGreat you just confirm my assumption (I'm also assuming you're one of the more high-strung ones based on the fact you made this)! If I'm wrong and the average observation is calmness, there should be a category for us anxious NT folk.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I second this completely! I've been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), yet I'm NT and calm as well? It doesn't add up. Even if Kiersey was looking for the overall pattern, I have a hard time believing that we NTs are calm overall. NatetheGreat you just confirm my assumption (I'm also assuming you're one of the more high-strung ones based on the fact you made this)! If I'm wrong and the average observation is calmness, there should be a category for us anxious NT folk.
I'm extremely neurotic. I'm not a 7 w 6 for nothing.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
I'm human, unfortunately, and yes things can knock the serenity right out of me. People trying to talk to me when I'm thinking about something is one that is coming to mind right now.. fuck..

·
Registered
675 Posts
SLOAN captures more information here, by basically adding a calm-limbic dimension to the four dimensions of the MBTI.

I'm calm btw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, I am calm.

Unless disturbed constantly.
I am not an NT but I do know one that I do work for in the salon. We have a lot of unique people that come across but her odd personality really does stand out. She is definitely hard to understand when people first meet her. They think she is kind of "cold." Doesn't say too much and surely doesn't like to be bothered unless there is something interesting to talk about. She doesn't mind talking to me because we can talk about personality profiles or about spirituality. As far as calm, she appears to be very calm until she is bothered with repetitive noise. Overall, she is a nice lady once you get past the initial impression.

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
No, but compared to other people, fuck yes.

I've had panic attacks with the crazy heartrate increase and sweating, but didn't show it much and thought little more of it then "goddamnit, got to cut down on the fucking coffee." Plans. I don't actually believe in any of the anxious thoughts and things - it is a physical/emotional reaction and so squashed like a bug.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm not. I get anxiety attacks sometimes.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Banned
557 Posts
In his book, "Please Understand Me" David Kiersey states that all the NT's are calm. I think a great number of the NT"s that I know are calm. However, I know quite a few NT's (especially a lot of the enneagram 6 ones) that are a nervous wreck. Are you an NT, and are you calm?
I define calm with my behaviour. If something terrible happens, I start first analyzing the situation and then start formulating a solution to solve the problem. Usually, I get myself out of my ruts as well as keep my emotions in check.

Glad advertises that one should "not get mad but get glad" I say "Why get mad and get yourself in an emotional tangle when you can stay calm and on top of the situation?"

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Well...

I'm an NT and I appear calm most of the time. There are some times where there is this massive outpouring of emotion which though rare, does happen from time to time. The illusion of being calm came from suppressing my emotions for years which since I've stopped doing that, I seem to be more expressive of what I'm feeling which can last longer than the emotion most of the time.

As an aside, there are some times where I wonder if I may be an NF rather than NT, but in many ways I relate better to the INTJ than the INFJ.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I'm calm enough until I really get into something or someone does something that triggers my OCD then I get really anxious and irrational (that also happens when deep emotions are involved).

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I'm human, unfortunately, and yes things can knock the serenity right out of me. People trying to talk to me when I'm thinking about something is one that is coming to mind right now.. fuck..
Calm? I'm limbic as FUCK
This.

Are you an NT though?
Are you suggesting NTs aren't prone to anxiety attacks, or...? NTs are subject to just as much emotional baggage as NFs or any other type, only it is processed differently, and sometimes subsidized by rationalization - though this is not always the case. N-types can experience anxiety or depression when the constructs of their mind (by Ne or Ni) become overwhelming and difficult to be controlled. E.g., Ludwig Boltzmann and John Nash - genial mathematicians ultimately destroyed by the very thing that made them brilliant.

Higher levels of catecholamines and acetylcholine in the brain, coupled with moderate deficiency in GABA, are more indicative of susceptibility to anxiety than just being a certain type or temperament, since correlation does not always imply causality.

·
Registered
560 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts