Personality Cafe banner

I'm not clear on my enneagram type.

885 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Quille 
#1 ·
Okay, So I've tried a few quizzes. and there was one that I particularly took a total of... 4 times:bored:. the first two( which had a period of 6 to 8 months between my times of taking them) ended with me being a 6w5. the third time was earlier this year which told me I was a type 9, but my highest when wings were taken into account was a 6w5. Now just yesterday I had tried it again and I was given the result that I am a type 9 with wing 1 followed by 6w5 at second place. So... Am I a type 6 or a type 9?

I've read on both and I'm still unsure

Prerequisites

What age range are you in?
15~19(17)

Any disorders or conditions we should know about?
Nope, not that I know of…

Main Questions

1. What do you think your life is about? What drives you in life? This can be something like a goal or a purpose, or anything else that comes to mind.
My life’s about… well, living. What keeps me living’s probably the people around me, things I haven’t experienced, the things I currently enjoy doing as it is. I guess I’m just living in the present without a goal in life or some sort. That feels bad though, I’ve had a goal and lost motivation for it. But, I guess that was more of an excuse than a goal.

2. What were you like as a kid?
Haha… Am I still counted as a kid now? Well, it differed with my age I guess. During the earlier ages like in preschool and the first years of elementary school I heard that I was pretty outgoing, loud, happy and expressive. During later years I started being introverted, quiet, aloof, pessimistic, irresponsible, etc. Then in recent years like since one or two years ago I’ve gone from pessimistic to trying to look at the bright side. I still do first look at the bad parts but afterward I’ve gotten the habit of trying to be optimistic about stuff.

3. Describe your relationship with your parents. Does anything stand out about the way you interacted?
It’s pretty open. Though I mostly seem disrespectful, irresponsible, rude, lazy, etc in their eyes. We know we love each other and stuff and we often try to spend time together when we get the chance. Though fights with my mother can last as long as a week… I can’t tell if that’s short or long.

4. What values are important to you? What do you hope to avoid doing or being?
I’m sort of having trouble identifying values. Erm let’s see… I value being independent, family oriented, patient, open-minded and trust worthy. I think… ^ ^”
I hope to avoid doing… things that I perceive as wrong or that may ruin relationships… The later depends on the person as well. A relationship can be ruined but fixed… right?

5. Aside from phobias, are there any fears that characterized your childhood? Have they continued into the present day, or not, and if not, how have you dealt with them?
I have fear of public speaking. Speaking up in general. I can’t seem to speak loud enough for people to hear me at times unless I’ve already warmed up to them. Or else I’d just feel like I sound unlike myself, I know its quite evident in my tone of voice. I’ve felt that towards my friends I’ve spoken with a higher tone but with others I tend to speak in a lower voice and to the point where I have had to repeat the words at least once.
How have I dealt with it…? Well, I’m trying. I’ve started college already and I know its required in life itself. So, I’ve been trying when it comes to my class presentations. It was better until I ended up in college with people I hadn’t met yet. Let’s say the first two presentations I did ended with me speaking too fast and my legs shaking, I hadn’t done that before till then. Now I don’t do that much but I’m suspicious that its only cause I’ve gotten used to that class since there are only 9 people in it. Yes, nine.

6. a.) How do you see yourself?
I can’t really say. My general idea of myself in others(strangers) eyes is a messy looking gloomy quiet or “emo” person. If I’d really have to say then I think I’m mostly fickle, introverted, and irresponsible to certain things. I’m not quick to do things I’m not interested in or things that I have no motivation with. I enjoy making people laugh though it’s mostly just on whim.

b.) How do you want others to see you?
Reliable. Or funny. But I don’t think I’ve been giving of the impression of the former. I guess another thing I’d like to be seen as is a mature person. But maybe people’s idea of a mature person differs.

c.) What do you dislike the most in other people?
Honestly, I just don’t like it when people judge others without getting to know em real well. Or when someone just bitches about others without knowing the other person’s true self. You have your opinion, keep it to yourself till you have actually seen that person act that way.

7. Which habit do you most automatically act on? Rank the following habits from most to least automatic, on a scale of 1 (most) to 3 (least).

a.) Work for personal gain with more concern for self than for others. (2)
b.) Strive for a sense of tranquility in yourself and the world around you (1)
c.) Decide what is right for the betterment of something or someone else. (3)

8. Where does the wandering mind take you? What provokes this?
Stories I’ve read, movies I’ve watched, my past, and my future and to sleep. I’ve often went side track off things I’m supposed to do to the point I have fallen asleep on it. My counter measure is to draw on the side for about 5 minutes or just a small doodle and then go back to the work but It only works half the time.
I’ve also ended up worrying about some things. Now a days its mostly about my future since I’m nearing the time where I’ve gotta think out my career plan and course in university or even which university I want to attend. And then I get all bummed out and question myself if my current goal is really what I want or what I’m deceiving myself to want.
What provokes these train of thoughts? Lack of motivation to do what I was supposed to be currently doing. Parent’s probing, friends who’ve got things figured out, as well as those times where I just lie down and let it go wild.

9.What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?
What else would make a person feel best? Doing something I enjoy doing. A game(online or offline, arcade or board games), reading a good book, drawing, and on the side its also mostly being with the people that I had felt like being with at that time and doing something we mutually enjoy. E.g. gaming.
Worst, its when I realized I’ve fallen asleep during class yet again unintentionally. Maybe I’m just subconsciously actually intentionally doing it, does that even work? Other times is when I get some result and realised I didn’t give it my all and that I could’ve actually done better. Guilt trap. Also usually when I’ve fought with someone over something trivial yet I don’t want to let up.

10. Let's talk about emotions. Explain what might make you feel the following, how they feel to you or how you react to the emotion:
a.) anger

I hardly feel angry. And if I do I don’t feel angry for long. Mostly the anger would be directed at myself or my family, specifically younger siblings when they get to buggy. If you ask my friends, I’m pretty sure they’ll say they’ve never seen me angry.
Wrongful accusations based on assumptions that are directed at me also gets me ticked, but its mostly because its done by my mother who does it in the tone of voice that just suggests to me that its determined in her head I’m at fault and I’m gonna get it. Then the small subject becomes big. After feeling angry I sleep it off and wake up feeling like nothing. And then I start wondering why I was angry. But when it comes to accusations, I have pride in my way and I don’t easily apologize much whether I’m really wrong or not. Yes, I’m expected to apologize either way since I got angry.

b.) shame
Refer to the last sentence of question nine. Other times, its when I’m confronted about something I did that I know was wrong. It just makes me feel so darned.. a punch in the gut I suppose. My throat goes dry and I feel like tearing.

c.) anxiety
What makes me feel this way? Refer to my fear, Q5.
Also, the way people I’m not used to talking to may react to my opinions or speech patterns. But since if it is one on one or to a small group of say, 5, I don’t act so bad as to shake. I still do at times speak too fast.

11. Describe how you respond to the following:
a.) stress

Sleep, tear, draw, lie on the bed and stare at the ceiling while lost in my thoughts
b.) negative unexpected change
It depends on the so called negative unexpected change. Well, the most common thing I’d do is probably sleep. I’d feel better afterwards. Or rather I’d be able to look at the change a different way. Sleep feels like it refreshes me.
c.) conflict
RUN! Nah, I’m kidding… Sorta. For physical conflict, run. For conflict… It would depend on what I know on the outcome of it. If it’s better for me to face it then I would face it while trying not to make it worse? But I feel it better to stay out of conflicts if I could.

12. a.) What kind of role are you naturally inclined to take in a group? Why?
Submissive subordinate who only speaks mind if necessary or prompted. I do have my own views on how something should be done or rather, “How I would have done it.” But as mentioned earlier… I’m not fond of or not used to speaking out ^ ^”
In a group of friends, I don’t know. The one that’s fickle yet tries to help others come towards a decision with a series of questions. Say, what should we eat? I’ll end up asking eastern or western and go down from there. Its sort of hypocritical I guess… With friends… you could say that I’m the one who gets to a place and looks “frantically” for the familiar face I know is there and sticks with them till the rest of the group arrives.

b.) If put in power, how do you behave? Why?
Put power in… what exactly? Myself? Or a person with power over me? I’m going to assume that its power in me. I think that I’d probably be quite proud of myself. I’d end up checking on those under me a lot and be open to giving or receiving advise? I’m basing this on my experience as the top person in my class when it came to mathematics so I can’t really be sure since I haven’t actually been in that position

c.) Do you tend to struggle with others who have authority over you? Why?

Nope. Not unless they make me inclined to. It all depends on if I like the person in authority or not and if struggling even benefits me in any way. I can struggle with my school teacher but I don’t see any right in struggling with my college lecturer who looks like she has more motivation in teaching than the school teacher. The only way I’d really struggle with authoritative figures is if I feel that what they’re doing isn’t something right.

13. What do you see or notice in others that most people don't?

I haven’t socialized or met much people to know if I do actually notice something but if I really had to name something I guess it would probably be habits. Like, routine habits. Not everyone of course but towards the people that I’ve met and known and had maybe a little bit more impact in my life than just being “the person I’ve been classmates with for that one year”

14. Comment on your relationship with trust.
Trust is important. Yet too much trust can kill. Full stop.

15. Briefly: What religious and/or political beliefs do you have? Do you think they influenced your responses in this questionnaire?
I am a Protestant Christian and I have hardly any comments on politics. They have not influenced me in my responses in this questionnaire because they didn’t really have an impact in my life. I say I’m a Christian, I do believe in god, but I don’t really have the habit of practicing going to church anymore. I do still pray.

Optional Question (due to personal nature)

Discuss an event that has impacted your life significantly; more importantly, how you responded to it.

I used to be a pessimist who believed all boys to be under females. That was when I was 13. I used to see all the bad things in life and all the shitty stuff. My grades sucked, my outlook toward my siblings were as if they were annoyances and hateful. I drew more dark things and wrote words like death, dead, die, kill, stab, etc more than necessary. I used to think of all the worse possible ways my life or the world would end while I lied in my bed before I slept. I’m telling you, those thoughts prevented me from sleeping. But what did I know? I was 13. Then I met my first online friend.
As in really my first online buddy who I actually talked about interests and stuff instead of gaming. It was a guy, and I admit I ended up crushing on him. Well, He was a pessimist as well. So I guess it was like math. When you multiply negative with negative, you get a positive. I somehow stopped being so pessimistic and stuff and learned to see things another way. I started to actually care about what I was doing with my life and my grades. But in the end me and that guy stopped talking after three years. We grew apart and he had a minor issue with my ex and suddenly exploded and stopped talking to me. I’m still thankful though.

Extra Questions

Which of the following temptations do you find yourself acting upon the most? (And briefly state why)

- To cyclically become indecisive and seek others for reassurance
- To consider yourself entirely self-sufficient

It’s a two way tie. The first is well, I’m fickle. If you ask me what I want to eat I’d end up asking about what you want to eat unless I really had a craving for something. That applies to my career path as well. I don’t know and this is something I feel like I cant ask others yet I should.
Second, I have the habit of not asking others for help or that I can do this or that on my own. Asking just seems so… Hard. Yet I know its not hard. But at the time where I want to ask, I end up just saying its nothing and resolve whatever on my own.

What's something you are: a.) thankful you have b.) wish you could have? Why?
a) My family. Then my hobby as it has influenced my life a lot to the fact most of my friends have been made through it.
b) More confidence in myself so I could speak up more. Instead of only being able to type out my opinions like what I’m doing here.

See less See more
#6 ·
I'm sorry if this just puts you in more of a dilemma but you sound more like a 9 to me. Generally sixes aren't so relaxed about things, and the integration point for a 6 is going to 9 which is supposed to be more challenging to get to than to the disintegration point or to the stress point. You said you reacted more passively to stress while a six would go to an average 3 under stress which is basically getting a bit paranoid and anxious.
Nines are rarely seen angry as you mentioned and in the face of a challenge or stress they become passive (if they're not unhealthy). They generally have a harder time describing themselves from their own point of view and they try to avoid thinking about problem areas of their life.

(other than that, I think you sound like a really nice person :) )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.