Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about this lately. I'm not happy about our culture, i'm not happy about our 'system', i'm not happy about how most people have Great potential, but they are unable to magnify this potential due to certain circumstances. Maybe it's money, maybe it's certain 'laws', maybe it's poor connections, but whatever the reason I think people deserve the chance to do their best, to do something that they're great at and something that they enjoy. I feel like personally i've been stolen from, my education has been stolen from me. My education has been stolen due to others, and due to myself. If I knew what I knew now, ofcourse i would try to build up more principles. Build up initiative, build up ambition, build up confidence. Something that would take me far. Something that would make it easier for me now.

Now i'm not wanting "World Peace" or anything like that, that's an ideal, but not reality. I simply want everyone to do their best. I currently want to become a psychiatrist, it may change. It probably will because i'm not great in natural sciences or math's. I personally blame this on my teacher, he would accept completion grades. You could put any number as your answer, and you'd get it right. But on the tests i'd know just enough from previous teachers to barely pass. Now after changing schools and having a different teacher i'm doing exceptionally poor because i have no clue how to do any of it. The distractions of the other kids and the distractions at home don't benefit me either. This is why I feel like i've been stolen from, I feel like I am unable to do what I like, be what I could be.

Sorry for the 'rant' type thread. Hopefully i'm not the only one that has these opinions though. Thanks for reading, just had to get it out :)

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Yet despite some of the negatives you articulate so eloquently, we in the West, are more greatly blessed than any other group of people in all history. We are free from the worst ravages of hunger, we aren't forced into servitude or military conflict, we have access to resources and information on a scale and depth even kings and presidents could not have had just 50 years ago, we have education, more equal rights and a say in our own futures albeit to differing extents and the ability to influence change.

Things can look and indeed be, bad, but the historical perpective does show it's nat as bad as it could be.

We should try to make it available to everyone and guard against those who want to take us into narrow political or religious ideological cul-de-sacs

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I do not think anyone deserves anything other than what they can obtain through their own effort, and I do not mean only through work. While your wanting everyone to do their best is quite understandable and commendable, it is a sad fact of life that many are unable to excel in certain areas due to various circumstances, some external, some internal. Sometimes it is nothing more perplexing than a lack of ability. I think the best we can honestly hope to achieve is allowing the most freedom for the most people, and to provide freedom of opportunity, rather than attempting to provide a guarantee of success. You can give people the tools, but you cannot guarantee success. Differences in success and ability are natural.

Unfortunately, there does seem to be something of a dearth of good education in the U.S. I experienced the very same thing when I was in school, way back probably before you were born. I attended a small country school, 200 students K-12, and most of the teachers, with the exception of my English and Science/Theater teachers, were incompetent. My math skills are still terribly underdeveloped. I nevertheless rose to the occasion somewhat in educating myself. I did not happen to be interested in math at the time, and no doubt had some hangups about it due to my poor education/performance in this area, but I feel that it is more than likely that I could have undone some of the damage if I had made the effort. I still partially regret my lack of math skills, but have no doubt that I could revere the damage it I were truly motivated to do so. You speak as though your life is over, when it has really only begun.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I know what I do about foods and sciences not only because of the teachers I have had that were competent, but also because of the education I went out and picked up myself. For instance, when I was 5 I could tell people the reason why leaves were green, and that the chlorophyll in those leaves were a green pigment that helped capture the sun's energy. I also read an entire 600 page science encyclopedia and knew what an atom and its subatomic parts were before most people knew what electricity was besides something that can shock you.
Another example is that last week I got bored, conducted an experiment with used vegetable oil (I have a deep frier) in which I had the used oil on its own, a paper towel sheet, and a paper towel sheet soaked with the oil. The oil did not catch fire, rather it evaporated, while the paper towel lasted about a minute and the paper towel soaked in the oil lasted 5-8 minutes while producing a larger flame and more heat than the paper towel sheet on its own. After doing that, I got bored and looked up some random chemical equations and found out what the process of pyrolysis was (the process where you heat a fuel to separate the 'tars', or the hydrogen and oxygen in the fuel, which causes them to react in the air due to the heat energy of the flame and you are left with the carbon, or the 'soot'.

If you really want to learn something you're most likely going to have to do most of the research on your own from viable sources, just like in life if you really want something you have to go out and get it rather than sit around and wait for it, because if you do that and you are lucky enough to be told you will receive information it will most likely be one sided or it will be given in a half-ass way due to people's controlling and lazy nature.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Killbain : I thank you for the kinda words towards my writing :) "you articulate so eloquently."
I actually completely agree with you. We, are in the West. We have more than most do in many other places. But that should give us a reason to try even harder, while other people don't have our resources and seem to be trying much, much harder than we are.
I also very much-so agree with your last sentence: "We should try to make it available to everyone and guard against those who want to take us into narrow political or religious ideological cul-de-sacs"

@HorribleAesthete : Yes, I do want the best for everyone. Just think of a world where everyone tried, everyone wanted to make it better, not just for themselves but for others aswell. As you said in your last sentence, I suppose alot of it does feel like the end, but it's probably the mentality that i've put into myself over the years. I've been thinking about the unspeakable, so I agree, most anything could push my over.

@InsanityRemix : I completely agree with you, most of our education we must put into out own hands. Well I believe I am well educated, just not in alot of the things they teach in a learning institution, or school. I do alot of my personal research myself. My parent's when I was little always asked me "what did you learn from school today?" And I would always say "Nothing." Because I would go home and watch PBS or go on the computer to research stuff myself and I would be years ahead of most of my classmates. Until recently. In 7th & 8th grade (the main socializing years) I was kept home for homeschool because I was talking to much in class and the teacher would always send me out of the room. *which lead to alot of my problems now, I felt that she sent me out because I was a bad person not because she just wanted to teach with no distractions. So I had incredibly low self-worth during these years.* So I was homeschooled and this didn't help any at all because I had an easy access to the Teacher's edition and every night she would come home from work yelling Everyday about how little I had accomplished. Which, undoubtedly, lowered my self-worth even further. So here I am now, a Junior in highschool. Barely having any sort of reason to even try, no set goals, no real ambitions. Just numbing myself out.

I appreciate all of you for reading my post and replying :) Thank you~

·
Registered
8,673 Posts
"True potential" is bias and impossible to determine. Self-definition, self-being, and self-acceptance is "true production".

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
@avatarphen go figure, I'm a senior in high school :p I just got out of those shoes you're wearing at the beginning of the school year. The biggest thing you can do is make sure you love yourself, and don't just think it or say it, believe it and know it. You have been and always will mean something to the people that surround you. Sure not everybody will like you, and sure some will even go out to stand in your way, but that is because they are negatively egotistical in which case you can either ignore them and let them learn on their own or try to help them out with things yourself. The ego itself is easily corruptible before you have your sense of self, which is why so many people in this world are negatively egotistical, You just need to get rid of your own negativity, your shadow, and from there everything will be a lot easier. The way I got rid of mine was through a reiki attunement, but you, like everybody else, must find your own path to get rid of it. We have already made the decisions in life, now we live to find out why and learn from it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
What's stopping you?

"Don’t tell me it’s impossible, tell me you can’t do it. Tell me it’s never been done … the only things we really know are Maxwell’s equations, the three laws of Newton, the two postulates of relativity, and the periodic table. That’s all we know that’s true. All the rest are man’s laws"...Dean Kamen

It is always up to us in the end. There is no one else responsible to the ultimate outcome of our lives than one else. Never underestimate the power of the human spirit. If you truly want something, you will get it. Even if there is not a way...you will make it. Where there is a will, there is always a way. There is no an impossible thing. The only requirement to become good at something is passion. Because of the passion in visionary men and women across the ages, we are where we are. They defied what others saw as impossible and because they had faith in themselves, changes occurred that transformed society forever. They don't have anything special that you don't have. So if you feel truly called to be a psychiatric, start thinking like one :p. Applied yourself, search other methods of study. Learn to meditate to block out external distractions. You don't need to change the system, culture to achieve your potential. What must change is oneself and the way one perceive live itself, and trust me that is much more difficult than changing the system lol. So the only real obstacle is yourself, because people in the same circunstances as you will not let these things bother them. They will continue to push forward no matter what, I am sure that you can do the same :p. But I understand..ranting is good for the soul. Life in this reality is like being in the bad part of town in the most dangerous neighborhood. Things get rough sometimes but we are tough and things can have a happy conclusion. It is up to us and no one else.

Reactions: Intricate Mystic

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@InsanityRemix Thank you! :D your post immediately reminded me of this:

After watching this video again after about 6 months, it really helps. I hope everyone watches it aswell :)

Reactions: Victorianna

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
@avatarphen

I've been working on a novel for a while now. I've been pouring my frustration at humanity into it and I am certain that anyone who reads this work once it's finished will be able to understand my frustration perfectly.

And they'll understand that we really can do better.

Art not only helps us get these emotions out, it also can transform minds. Art can change the world.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Btmangan I'm not much of an artist :3 Stick Figures? Lol

If anything, my 'art' would be more in the 'writing' department. And it's not even good there~

·
Registered
944 Posts
@avatarphen

I've been working on a novel for a while now. I've been pouring my frustration at humanity into it and I am certain that anyone who reads this work once it's finished will be able to understand my frustration perfectly.

And they'll understand that we really can do better.

Art not only helps us get these emotions out, it also can transform minds. Art can change the world.
I'd love to read your novel once it's done. :)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Then... do it. Change the world.

Reactions: avatarphen

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Then... do it. Change the world.
Alright, but it's alot harder changing things on your own. Two is much easier. Would you be, in a sense, the Bonnie to my Clyde?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Alright, but it's alot harder changing things on your own. Two is much easier. Would you be, in a sense, the Bonnie to my Clyde?
Lol, why not? I won't mind being your accomplice. So where should we start first? XD.
Ps. The bonny and clyde mention reminds me of an eminem song.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lol, why not? I won't mind being your accomplice. So where should we start first? XD.
Ps. The bonny and clyde mention reminds me of an eminem song.
Well, that's the thing, I'm not to sure where to start. If someone were to start something, start something big, they'd have to know the right people. We must have a valid point to why we're trying to change things, and have a goal set in mind for what we want it to look like.

lol i thought of the song aswell

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Well, that's the thing, I'm not to sure where to start. If someone were to start something, start something big, they'd have to know the right people. We must have a valid point to why we're trying to change things, and have a goal set in mind for what we want it to look like.

lol i thought of the song aswell
so why not start plotting now? *my Ne bouncing at excitement of the promise of a new project* . :D. First we need to get acquainted, I approve of you already (You're a Durarara fan XD), so accomplice, where should we plot??

Reactions: avatarphen
1 - 20 of 27 Posts