Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after meandering through way to many different types over time, I think I'm an ISTP. FANTASTIC INDEED.

Thought I was an N for ever and ever because my parents (especially the ISFJ mother) were so convinced I was and I'm a lot like my INTJ father - I realise though that this is more T-based solidaritiy against an onslaught of female F-emotional-ness. When I read this I say yes to all of it except "They're usually good athletes, and have very good hand-eye coordination. They are good at following through with a project, and tying up loose ends" because I'm spastic and easily distracted.

Only thing that makes me go HANG ON is the bit about living totally in the present, because I don't. I see the future and like to have an idea of what I'm going to be doing for the next few years, though I'll adapt it as I go along if that makes sense. Also I was a massively daydreamy child, permantently zoned out, which I had preseumed was a very N thing to do. Also I tend to miss details, probably because I'm trying to take it all in so quickly.

Obviously I have been SURPRESSED by societal expecatations of my gender and 12 years at an All Girls Convent School (yes, that bad) but I can see bits of mechanic-ness coming out. I was obsessed with Knex and Meccano as a child and as an adult am good with computers without trying. I also like talking about cars though I don't know enough IMO. I'm really good at sewing and making/fixing things that way.

Also the stuff about ISTPs, sex and relationships is frighteningly accurate. Get the fuck out my bed! :tongue:

If you can overcome your apathy I'd love some responses.

·
Registered
85 Posts
LOL

Plenty of us have never been athletes or great with those type of things. Although I don't think my hand-eye coordination is too bad it's nothing to brag about.

I've never been one to see projects thru to the end unless I was being paid to.

Living totally in the present would likely take many years of meditative practice or something. I'd say it's more that we usually don't like being locked into anything or trapped. Plans or obligations with regards to our time can sometimes feel oppressive. We prefer the freedom to change and adapt in the moment or at least the present. Kinda like you said. Basically we're all opportunists lol.

As a child I constantly got in trouble for daydreaming in class, I'd just stare out the window most of the day and dream of all the other stuff I could be doing if my time wasn't being wasted there. It's not like there was ever anything interesting in the classroom. At least that's what I though as a kid.

One of the main things that made me realize I was S not N was that I knew I was normally very observant, I was known for it. Not that you can't miss details, I miss really obvious stuff plenty of times but I know I'm generally an observant person. I watch other people walk around life inside their head only half aware of whats going on around them and realize I could never be like that for long. I'm also usually too busy trying to take it all in to stay rapped up in my head for a truly significant amount of time(unless there really is nothing better to do and I go back to the daydreaming).

Anyway, just my personal opinions on what you said. I can't really speak for the other ISTPs even if I kinda presumed to.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
So, after meandering through way to many different types over time, I think I'm an ISTP. FANTASTIC INDEED.

Thought I was an N for ever and ever because my parents (especially the ISFJ mother) were so convinced I was and I'm a lot like my INTJ father - I realise though that this is more T-based solidaritiy against an onslaught of female F-emotional-ness. When I read this I say yes to all of it except "They're usually good athletes, and have very good hand-eye coordination. They are good at following through with a project, and tying up loose ends" because I'm spastic and easily distracted.

Only thing that makes me go HANG ON is the bit about living totally in the present, because I don't. I see the future and like to have an idea of what I'm going to be doing for the next few years, though I'll adapt it as I go along if that makes sense. Also I was a massively daydreamy child, permantently zoned out, which I had preseumed was a very N thing to do. Also I tend to miss details, probably because I'm trying to take it all in so quickly.

Obviously I have been SURPRESSED by societal expecatations of my gender and 12 years at an All Girls Convent School (yes, that bad) but I can see bits of mechanic-ness coming out. I was obsessed with Knex and Meccano as a child and as an adult am good with computers without trying. I also like talking about cars though I don't know enough IMO. I'm really good at sewing and making/fixing things that way.

Also the stuff about ISTPs, sex and relationships is frighteningly accurate. Get the fuck out my bed! :tongue:

:mellow:

Sure you're not ESTP?

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
Welcome aboard, we'd love to share with you. Now contribute some sensual threads or get the hell out!
Just kidding.

But I think when I look at the future, its usually just a tactical decision inspired from the senses and requirements that I have on THAT DAY. And the whole "sticking through with things" is more about sports and things that take simple practice. However if its something that requires cracking open a book and learning programming or engineering etc, I'll say F this and move on.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome aboard, we'd love to share with you. Now contribute some sensual threads or get the hell out!
Just kidding.

But I think when I look at the future, its usually just a tactical decision inspired from the senses and requirements that I have on THAT DAY. And the whole "sticking through with things" is more about sports and things that take simple practice. However if its something that requires cracking open a book and learning programming or engineering etc, I'll say F this and move on.
What do you mean by sensual threads? Sensor ones or sexual ones?

I totally agree with the bold bit, my future planning is so coldly tactical it doesn't usually work. I forget I'm human and have feelings. I also am a really fast learner but don't learn well from books - I learn from people and from doing. I don't read instructions because they won't help, unless I make a mistake then I use them to correct me.

My mother turned to me today and said 'I swear one day I'm going to wake up with a son (me)'. I looked at my chest and was like 'I don't think so mum'.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
Being an athlete is different than having the potential or being athletically inclined. The athleticism goes hand-in-hand with having great control over our physical abilities. I was always an athlete, but I would never try swinging at a fast ball (it would be too embarrassing).
Where is Madhatter when you need her, she has reminded me more than once that ISTPs are not sensing types, we’re thinking types. She is correct. With that in mind, I don’t know many of us who live in the present when our Ti is working hard. Also depending on the strength of one’s introverting attitude, you can easily forego Se and use Ni.
Sounds SP-ish, but I bet you know more about cars than I, or than I care to know about. There are two types of ISTP per Myers-Briggs, the mechanical and the non-mechanical. So far I have yet to discover very many who actually enjoy talking about or work on vehicles.

Uh no….., we do have use of our Fe to the contrary. Welcome to the forum…..

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
When we want your opinion, we'll go to the ENTP forum to get it. Gtfo.
When non-ISTPs are barred from offering their opinions, this forum will be restricted accordingly. Stfu.

oh & btw, your new ISTP friend independently sought out my opinion later on anyway. :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
When non-ISTPs are barred from offering their opinions, this forum will be restricted accordingly. Stfu.

oh & btw, your new ISTP friend independently sought out my opinion later on anyway. :)

Which is exactly what i said would happen if one of us wanted your opinion.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Which is exactly what i said would happen if one of us wanted your opinion.
Correction: I offered my opinion and she then pursued it further.

So are you going to answer the girl's question, or are you just going to patrol the board for non ISTPs? ;-)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Correction: I offered my opinion and she then pursued it further.

So are you going to answer the girl's question, or are you just going to patrol the board for non ISTPs? ;-)
Get back in line pal. Your ENTP attitude comes second to him acting like an ISTP on the home turf.

Reactions: FearsomeCritter

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
So are you guys the jealous girlfriend/boyfriend types?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't think that ISTPs are the jealous types, we just like our space and get angry when we feel people are encroaching on our boundaries. In fact it's often been the exact opposite for me, most of my exes got pissed off with how easy going I was when they started flirting with other guys.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
I can't really be bothered with emotions like jealousy. The only thing that would really piss me off is if he were to flirt with other women in front of me. That won't fly.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts