Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember when I was a child (well I still, am and I still do do this every once in a while), I created some random complicated magical universes basically based on a conglomeration of like 20 different TV shows (such as Digimon, Pokemon, MagiNation etc) and imagined that I lived in those universes.

I also used to think that I could cast magical spells but I just wasn't "awakened" as to how yet :p

Come share your childhood fantasies :D

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I had an imaginary cat named Sunshine and she and I would go on adventures. There was no specific world, I'd basically make it up as I went along. I frequented the Hundred Acre Wood a lot because Pooh was always my favorite Disney character and I loved to make up stories about our adventures. When I was with friends who were creative like me, we'd make up some magical world and then be a part of it. My best friend in 4th grade (she's INFJ) and I actually had this long running story about our travels in this very specific world that we would talk about and act out at recess and when we visited each other.

Now my inner world has changed. Rather than live in those worlds, I tend to write about them or just spend time thinking about what it would be like to live there. I'll put on movie soundtracks and pretend I'm doing what the characters are doing or I'll just feel the music and come up with a story to match it. This is probably why I've always wanted to be an actress or work in film. You basically get paid to play pretend.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
I share the same thing--ironically, because I just changed my avatar to this xD--when I was little, I would imagine the world of DBZ as real, and take characters from other series and incorporate them into the DBZ universe. Although, I was like the father of many of them and would create great stories. They were kind of like my imaginary friends, only I knew they weren't real, it was just fun to pretend.

I'd just swing on the swings at recess and imagine the world haha.

I also remember falling asleep to music and pretending I threw some large music party for all of them.

Good old elementary times.

·
Registered
727 Posts
When I was five a family friend told me stories about she (apparently) was abducted by werewolves and lived with them until adulthood. I of course fell for every word she said and desperately wanted to have the same happen to me. I even went as far as finding a plant that I believed would turn me into a werewolf and rubbed it against my skin until I got a horrible rash.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I always imagine waking up the next day back to my childhood while retaining the all the memories and the things I've learned right now as an older person. I'd be a real talented kid. Everyone would be amazed at how good I am in many things even though I'm only a child. I'd be the best kid in school. I'd be popular.

I also imagine that I'm a person with special powers or special purpose in this world and I'd discover all my abilities when the villain shows himself up and starts messing with the universe.

Usually these imaginations are triggered by the recent fantasy movies I've watched or books I've read.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Haha I can relate to this so much,
As a child I had my won planet,
Spanning a 40,000 year history,
17 cultures(Each which I had developed ethnic names, languages, demographics, history and country for),
With 5 land masses I'd named and took out my "world".
I would disappear into,
Playing with cities on my computer modelled on the world I had created,
Playing with my toys as mysitcal heroes of the civilizations that rose and fell on the massive continents xD

Even right now I use the same to create my own worlds,
I will never NOT have a imaginary world in my head,
It's just about the most exciting and enriching part of my existence!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also imagine that I'm a person with special powers or special purpose in this world and I'd discover all my abilities when the villain shows himself up and starts messing with the universe.

Usually these imaginations are triggered by the recent fantasy movies I've watched or books I've read.
This is so me.

Reactions: nim and ttanzkel

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
CIA spy networks meets Indiana Jones's adventures meets Jurassic park's thrill and wonder.

How I played in this imaginary land-
CIA spy network- used to write down what I heard/saw in my peripherals..'spy'- missions on neighbors..recruit my cousins/playmates for 'intel', make 'top secret' documents...lol at this now.
Indiana Jones's adventure- Bury stuff, dig stuff..make maps. Let others hide stuff and make cryptic treasure maps and try to figure out where they were.
Jurassic Park's thrill and wonder- well, had just imagination going for that fantasy setting.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will never NOT have a imaginary world in my head,
It's just about the most exciting and enriching part of my existence!
I cannot agree more.

Without my imagination I am nothing.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I thought that learning to fly was just a matter of practice :) :)

(ahemmm...I'm still holding on to that one a wee bit :-D Each time I dream of flying, I feel as if I have *finally* figured it all out...this time *for real* :) )

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yes. My childhood drawings probably look like that of a kid with Aspergers. I would make up imaginary countries and draw maps for them with towns, contour lines and information and the government, people and a scale for miles/km, etc.

They wouldn't be very fantasy based in the sense that there would be Wizards and dragons and such. They were like real-life, modernized countries that didn't actually exist on the real map, or only in some parallel reality.

I remember one was a large volcanic island nation North of the Azores that was settled by the Portuguese and later taken over by the British. I also used to make up languages, complete with grammar.

Wow, I'm weird.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I still retain what I consider my "thinking place". Near where I used to live and spent most of my teenage years, there was a park surrounding a Tudor manor house. To get to it I had to walk across a couple of fields, and once I entered the grounds I would walk past the pond, up the hill and sit on the bench up there.

The best time (and this is how it looks in my head, whenever I decide to visit) was in the autumn. I would go for a run around four, maybe five in the morning, the air would be cold and crisp, with a thin veil of fog. By the time I would make it up the hill, the sun would be coming up over the trees around the water and for an hour or so, everything would be glittering gold and silver.

Sounds like crap, I know, but that was where I went whenever high school got on top of me, or I just wanted a breather by myself. Nowadays if things get stressful, I try to reconstruct the whole image, even adding in the temperature, the rustle of the leaves, anything that allows that necessary unplugging from the outside world. For the most part, I don't even get a full picture, just a brief flash of early morning autumn light and the bench, usually when I get engrossed in music, a book or even if I'm writing something.

Over time I started putting things in there like mythical creatures, historical and literary figures I admire, people who have come in and out of my life that I wish I had gotten to know better or told them certain things. Kind of strange, considering that when I was a child I was more interested in watching Westerns, hitting things with sticks, and riding around on my bike pretending I was the Terminator. I suppose my imagination was a late bloomer.

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,268 Posts
I imagine a thousand different worlds. It's something I've always done, my mind just seems to be made to create them. Sometimes I spend a lot of time coming up with details, and other times it's just a few scenes and a sort of flavor. They can be inspired by all kinds of different things, for instance cultural systems or types of topography. They are usually fantasy worlds, but also scienc-fiction and alternate historical settings. I love coming up with fantasy stories that go with these worlds, but I will often also kill time by imagining cheesy escapist scenarios where I (or a character like me) find a way into some other magical world. I used to pretend that I was cinderella whenever I had to do chores as a kid, or that I was riding a horse whenever I was running somewhere. I don't often imagine myself as much these days, but I now that I think of it, I suppose I do sometimes without really paying attention to the fact that I'm doing it - like in little instances such as certain stairs that make you walk at what feels like a stately pace I find myself imagining I'm in a long gown, or that I'm a queen or something, just for an instant I can sort of 'feel' like I'm someone else or in another place like that, it's fun :)

I'm particularly fond of imagining fairy or elf cities up in trees, or castles that are built into mountainsides, places with unicorns and dragons and giant ancient trees and animals that can talk. The worlds I imagine are most often very green, with rich vibrant colors and a kind of glow or shimmeryness about them, they are usually very beautiful and full of nature, with just little pockets of civilization here and there.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
I also used to think that I could cast magical spells but I just wasn't "awakened" as to how yet :p
Thought that too ;)

Sometimes I would imagine that if I pressed certain things in my room, a secret passage way would open up. I really convinced myself that would happen one time.

I used to pretend I had an identical twin and mess around with my siblings. Sometimes it would be my twin and other times it would be me. Yeah...I really wanted a twin.

I just liked playing games with my friend where every single toy would have it's own magical power and we'd fight each other with them. Or pretending we're in another world or something. It was usually with my friends or writing a story in my journal. I was really bad at brainstorming though so my stories would always end immediately. I had this one story called "The Weather Gem" which my whole class thought sounded cool (the teacher read it out loud..I didn't want to). But...yeah, was never good at committing to a story. I guess that is why I prefer poetry :D

·
Registered
410 Posts
I had a imaginative dog, but one day she grew tired of me and ran away :laughing:
I also had this dream/imaginative world... Outside my school there was this stone wall, a couple of meters high, and I used to think that there was an opening in the wall that lead to a mysterious place where there were colourful little creatures and they were my friends. One was a blue, tentacle blob (but not a squid) and one was a pink floating cloud thing...
I also constantly saw magical things everywhere... Heh...

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had so many freaking imagination worlds when I was a kid (and still do today) that I couldn't even list them all. And some of them are the same things everyone else posted.

I always imagined that somewhere in my house there was a secret door, particularly behind the mirror in the bathroom, that takes you to a giant bouncy house.

When I was a kid, I was very inspired by The Lion King and this computer game my sister and I used to play for 101 Dalmations so I used to come up with stories in my head of being an animal, going through all these adventures to complete the mission of finding my kidnapped family member, and I would come up with all these different kinds of scenery and creatures to go with it. A lot of my stories also revolved around animals such as lions.

I had a lot of rats, so there would be two or three in a cage and I would imagine what kind of things they would be talking about.

I'd basically just come up with imaginary worlds and people, and just come up with scenarios in my head. I also always wanted to be a mermaid or a fairy so I'd incorporate a lot of animals/mystical creatures/people who transform into things in this scenarios with awesome imagination worlds.

I have so much fun in my head :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
My friends and I used to play this game where we would be wizards, warlocks, witches and other creatures. We would have to go to classes ( sort of like Harry Potter) to learn to become what we were supposed to be. For example, witches would go to witch class. I taught the levitation class. Lol

·
Registered
223 Posts

I had a tall metal jungle-gym in my backyard that I played on all the time. It was perfect for all of my adventures. The gym was about 20 ft tall and it consisted of a steep metal slide (that was very slippery), a trapeze swing on the highest tier (left), a rope swing on the highest tier (right side), monkey bars, and a swing on the lowest tier (left), and the other side of the lowest tier had nothing on it (though it did have another swing at one point).

Anyway, depending on the movie or story, the slide was a mountain, cliff, waterfall (putting a water-hose at the top of the slide helped with this), or whatever.

The trapeze swing was good for, of course, my "circus performances" but it also served as other things like parachutes, vines, a person saving me (for instance I "fell" and character in my story saved me), a tree branch, etc.

The swing was a swing that could take me anywhere in the world so it "flew" me from place to place. I also used the swing as a "rocket" to shoot me up into the sky, a plane, etc. Sometimes I would rig the swing so I could sit sideways while swinging so I'd pretend I was on a horse, dragon, or Pegasus. Most times I would just sit on the swing and pretend it wasn't there so I was actually the one flying. Sometimes I would make up stories while swinging. Other times I would pretend I was somewhere else. Most times this included me singing songs somewhere in the journey or listen to music from my walk-man (and later CD player) as "theme music" to help tell my story.

The rope swing was fun to play with (though rarely used) as it would become a vine, or swing, or rope, or pogo stick....whatever else I needed in my adventure.

Monkey bars were almost always a rickety old bridge, a tightrope...generally something that was really high, really scary, and really dangerous for my characters to pass over (or under).

I always made up elaborate stories as a child. Usually the adventures involved characters based off fictional movies that I had watched at the time. Other times they were made up from my own imagination. Most times I would have to be saved at least once BUT I've never like being a complete damsel-in-distress so I usually ended up being the heroine in the story. Of course every good main character (as with all characters in a story) has flaws so those were always incorporated. Dialogue either happened in my head or out loud (if no one was around to hear). Usually there was romance involved--I would save my friends but I would either save or be saved by my character's love interest. I never liked becoming someone else so I never changed my name. I like to project my own behaviors, thoughts, and morals loudly into my "character" but generally it was always me. Even as a child I hated being someone I wasn't. Sometimes stories required me to have powers, or special abilities but other than that it was just me. :proud:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I always got sucked into worlds more than creating my own. I would be completely lost in RPG games and fantasy or sci-fi novels. The feeling of getting sucked into another world like that is probably the most contentment-producing emotion I've ever had..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts