Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone else does this. I often imagine while I'm walking some place that someone will attack me and if I actually see someone then it's +10 level of awareness and imagining. I am always the victor but the problem is I imagine the whole thing. I imagine how I will significantly damage or kill them.

I don't mean to think of it, it's just a sort of knee jerk reaction to being outside. Before I know it, I have imagined the whole thing. For instance I was just walking down to the store and I have this little bag for short trips. It's leather and has a thin, long strap. I'm walking down this dark path and I imagine someone jumping out and grabbing me. This elaborate struggle takes place in my mind and it ends with the leather strap wrapped a couple times around his neck as I strangle him to death.

Does anyone else continually find themselves imagining scenarios like this?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Brave of you to share this. Thanks.

Now and then, I have similar thoughts when outside/with people, but not really the same scenario as you. I sometimes suddenly think/imagine I would do something to someone, by an uncontrollable impuls, like kicking a child, or saying something really offensive in a group of people. I know where it comes from, it's my OCD. I just have to let those thoughts be there and not try to neutralise/fight them. They don't really have an effect on me anymore, when I just let them be. Maybe it can help you as well. You're not weird, if that's what you're wondering.

Reactions: Kore

·
Registered
961 Posts
Murderous rampage confirmed.

I've experienced something similar, but not every single time I'm in public. It certainly seems to be more frequent when I'm alone, but even then it's usually because I see someone looking at me and I assume they're taking the piss, after that happens I do tend to imagine myself beating the life out of them. Though, the worrying thing is I always chuckle when this happens, which I imagine isn't a good thing. Haha.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Yes, while I was in my angsty teen years.

Grew out of it though. Hormones balanced out.

Reactions: Loaf and Kore

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brave of you to share this. Thanks.

Now and then, I have similar thoughts when outside/with people, but not really the same scenario as you. I sometimes suddenly think/imagine I would do something to someone, by an uncontrollable impuls, like kicking a child, or saying something really offensive in a group of people. I know where it comes from, it's my OCD. I just have to let those thoughts be there and not try to neutralise/fight them. They don't really have an effect on me anymore, when I just let them be. Maybe it can help you as well. You're not weird, if that's what you're wondering.
Thank you for the vote of confidence.

I experience something like that, I think. Whenever I'm in a movie theater and everything goes quiet I will have this sudden urge to stand up and yell "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" I have no idea why but it's so strong that I end up really trying to control myself and fear I'll just do it.

Why do you attribute it to your OCD?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thank you for the vote of confidence.

I experience something like that, I think. Whenever I'm in a movie theater and everything goes quiet I will have this sudden urge to stand up and yell "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" I have no idea why but it's so strong that I end up really trying to control myself and fear I'll just do it.

Why do you attribute it to your OCD?
Exactly. I know what you mean. And as a consequence you fearfully try to 'control' yourself and keep it from happening.

That's a normal reaction, but the wrong one. What you should do is let this scenario play out in your head. What would be the consequence if this really happened (you shouting in the theater)? Maybe people will look at you, maybe they'll laugh, maybe they'll shout back. Anything else? Probably not. Put it into perspective.

You need to realize that 1) the consequences of your possible action will (in most cases) be very small and 2) if you let those thoughts rage freely through your head, that wouldn't make the action more probable. If something, it just makes the thought disappear faster. THAT's what you need to do.

You do not need to control your body or voice or something like that. Just test it the next time the thoughts come up. You could try this for example when you're with friends or family, people you trust, a safe environment (small steps).

I've seen a counselor for a couple of years and I've read a book called 'Anxiety free', really helpful and practical book.
This is typical OCD, nothing to be ashamed of. Compulsive, 'abnormal' thoughts frighten people, while they need to learn to embrace 'em. But it takes practice, I won't lie about that.

Please let me know how it evolves!

·
Registered
689 Posts
I do the same thing. Whenever I am in public or walking down the street, I assume someone is around the corner and I take in my surroundings and grip whatever may be of use to be. I carry knives (one on the inside of the waist of my pants, one in my pocket with a clip, and the other hooked onto my bra. Not even kidding) until I get my carry-conceal license. I'm not sure what makes me so fearful. It's not a cowering fear but rather a slightly paranoid cautious fear.
Especially alone, but if I feel the strong need to protect someone I am quick to react in my head and plan it out as well.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing unless it causes you significant anxiety or alters you when you're out & about.
Caution is a good thing. Particularly in today's society.

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
I do the same thing. I'm always planning escape routes and ways to kill people if they attack me. I don't like walking anywhere by myself really.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts