Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you ever do impersonations of other people's voices? Is this an INFJ thing at all? (I read INFJs tend to mimic the actions of others in conversations, so maybe this is related to Ni or Fe?)
Ever since I was a child I found myself attempting to mimic other people's voices (primarily famous people or cartoon characters who I found had interesting / funny voices that I wanted to become a part of me).
It's long become a prevalent quirk on mine, I'll break into a different voice if I'm comfortable around a person, usually in an attempt to make them laugh or happy.
One of my favourite films growing up was Mrs. Doubtfire because Robin William's character did voices too and used that skill to blend into the role of an old nanny. He was really talented at this and was definitely an early inspiration.
There are people out there who are much more skilled than me at this, like he was, but I do have a selection of voices I've found pretty easy and fun.

For a very long time I wanted to do acting, but as I grew up I got more reserved and shy. Getting in front of a camera or live audience seemed less appealing. I figured that if I was ever going to do any kind of acting it would probably be through voice work instead.
I love voice acting, particularly because it's acting without needing to be in the limelight, and obviously its focused on the voice.
(Although, if I was put in front of a camera, I could probably be decent at regular acting too.)
Putting myself in someone else's shoes and wearing masks is just kind of natural to me. :skeleton:
What about you?

Reactions: Vivid Melody

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ya, I like to do that...
Impersonating the voice / speaking style (include their emotion ) of famous or unique person...
I'd just do it dor fun, putting my self on the other's shoes, so can understand what are they actually feel and thought..

I don't know what's the point I did this..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just curious, what made you shy?
I was taken out of school to be taught at home for a good number of years. Never got to go into middle school.
I lost contact with the vast majority of my friends and by the time I was re-entered into public school as a high school student I noticed my confidence had took a significant drop. Went from a class clown to a silent loner.

Reactions: SilentScream

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
I was taken out of school to be taught at home for a good number of years. Never got to go into middle school.
I lost contact with the vast majority of my friends and by the time I was re-entered into public school as a high school student I noticed my confidence had took a significant drop. Went from a class clown to a silent loner.
(BTW, there's a method to my madness so don't get annoyed by my questions ... it's just that when I see people talk about experiences that were similar to mine, I want to know more about them so as to help gain further insight into myself)

How do you interact with the world and people when you're feeling confident and happy?

·
Registered
573 Posts
I mimick Cersei's voice in my speech does that count?

Well, get to the point. I don't really mimick. It's more like I pick up cues and act accordingly. But that is not a good thing for me, so I prefer to be with my inner circle where I can be myself. I think all Infjs have tendency to blend in the crowd in someway.

I think it also depends on psychological base too.

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
(BTW, there's a method to my madness so don't get annoyed by my questions ... it's just that when I see people talk about experiences that were similar to mine, I want to know more about them so as to help gain further insight into myself)

How do you interact with the world and people when you're feeling confident and happy?
Don't worry about that, it doesn't annoy me! You had similar experiences!? Could I ask in what way?
I hope I can give insight if you're looking for it.

Well, as I said, if I am truly comfortable like that, I think I interact with people in quite a silly and playful way, those voices will pop through occasionally in casual conversation. I'll be generally chilled out and all "go with the flow."
It's kinda hard to judge the way you come across to others, though. If I think back to my childhood, it feels like I was some kind of extravert who was into sports, was a bit of a goof but also quite the high achiever.
I remember a few times when I hurt others though because I was too aggressive with them or genuinely unpleasant - I'm really not proud of what that brand of "confidence" did. It was wrong of me.
Not that it matters too much now, most people really don't get to see that side of me.
I know that confidence is there, but it takes a certain sort of person to really bring it out of me.
It's kinda why I would've loved to do acting; to have an excuse to be someone who was confident.
Always thought it would be fun to play a villain, actually. The actors who often play those roles always come across like they're having the most fun.

But, in the end, I guess it all really depends on what type of person I'm with, y'know.
If I'm with a happy, confident person, I'll feel happy and confident. If it's with a moody person, I'll probably be moody too. My emotional state and way of going about the world seems very dependent on these "vibes" I get from the environment. In some ways that can be good, but in other ways it's a real drain!

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Sounds like you went through some sort of a personality transformation as a result of the childhood stressor of isolation and maybe it is who you are, or it isn't.

Don't worry about that, it doesn't annoy me! You had a similar experiences!? Could I ask in what way?
Looking back (I have wague memories now), I was more isolated growing up till my teens. My mother (INFJ) and elder siblings both being closer to introverts probably make my mom think that I'd be the same so I was given a host of introverted activities to play with. Things like music, lego, mechano, books etc ... This I believe suppressed who I was for a long time till I made friends in my early teens and then I burst out of my shell.

I have had on and off periods of socializing/isolation/socializing/isolation through various reasons throughout my life, but I have always found myself bursting out each and every time which is why now I'm absolutely certain that I'm sensing dominant.

I felt those were personality changes because I trained myself to become a "capable" introvert - somewhat happy in my isolation, but the real me always came out when I was with my friends.

Well, as I said, if I am truly comfortable like that, I think I interact with people in quite silly and playful way, those voices will pop through occasionally in casual conversation. I'll be generally chilled out and all "go with the flow."
It's kinda hard to judge the way you come across to others, though. If I think back to my childhood, it feels like I was some kind of extravert who was into sports, was a bit of a goof but also quite the high achiever.
I remember a few times when I hurt others though because I was too aggressive with them or genuinely unpleasant - I'm really not proud of what that brand of "confidence" did. It was wrong of me.
Not that it matters too much now, most people really don't get to see that side of me.
I know that confidence is there, but it takes a certain sort of person to really bring it out of me.
It's kinda why I would've loved to do acting; to have an excuse to be someone who was confident.
Always thought it would be fun to play a villain, actually. The actors who often play those roles always come across like they're having the most fun.
Who do you think is more "real you"? Who you were in the past, or who you are now? What do you think you would choose if you were given the choice? You sound pretty cool with describing your extroversion and also I see a sort of desire to return to being that way. Am I incorrect in my assessment? Would you choose to live like an introvert if you had the choice to be an outgoing extrovert?

If I'm with a happy, confident person, I'll be feel happy and confident. If it's with a moody person, I'll probably be moody too. My emotional state and way of going about the world seems very dependent on these "vibes" I get from the environment. In some ways that can be good, but in other ways it's a real drain!
I know what you mean. Interestingly when I'm with moody people, I tend to find them exhausting and would rather they change their mood or just leave them the fuck alone and go do whatever it is that I want .. Sometimes I'll be compelled to take care of them, but generally I don't like overly moody people. I prefer to avoid being around them as much as possible so my group of friends and companions are always positive like me. I can't deal with complainers and whiners as much and will just sometimes sit there internally rolling my eyes wondering when they'll get themselves under control lol.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I don't mimic often but I do copy a behavior I like... i do act, feign something, make it more dramatic in a joking way. I think that can be part of sarcasm.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I notice I do mimic voices, usually in an exaggerated way, alot when I'm around people I'm comfortable with. Just being funny. Usually accent/dialect, or speaking style and mannerism. I don't do it generally to be mean, just more as expression.

·
Banned
3,147 Posts
I've done this a couple of times in school and got shamed for it, I find it kinda creepy but cool at the same time however I haven't done anything like that since the mid 2000s.

Reactions: Hexigoon

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like you went through some sort of a personality transformation as a result of the childhood stressor of isolation and maybe it is who you are, or it isn't.
I agree with that, I kinda make fun of it actually, like it's some kind of bizarre character arc in a movie.

Looking back (I have wague memories now), I was more isolated growing up till my teens. My mother (INFJ) and elder siblings both being closer to introverts probably make my mom think that I'd be the same so I was given a host of introverted activities to play with. Things like music, lego, mechano, books etc ... This I believe suppressed who I was for a long time till I made friends in my early teens and then I burst out of my shell.

I have had on and off periods of socializing/isolation/socializing/isolation through various reasons throughout my life, but I have always found myself bursting out each and every time which is why now I'm absolutely certain that I'm sensing dominant.

I felt those were personality changes because I trained myself to become a "capable" introvert - somewhat happy in my isolation, but the real me always came out when I was with my friends.
Oh wow, I can see what you mean there about it being similar in its own way.
I can obviously understand the isolation changing you all too well. But, are you sure those activities suppressed your extroversion? Interesting.
I also played with Legos, made music and read books when I was a kid. As much as I liked being with others I did still find a lot of time for myself. That enjoyment of alone-time has at least remained with me.
I'm sure a lot of outgoing or extraverted kids did similar things too.
But, it's not like introverts can't also be pretty outgoing when they want to be. INFJs actually are considered the most ''extraverted'' of all the introverts. (I only learned that yesterday lol)
In any case, you should live the way that feels the most comfortable to you within the moment.
Whether you feel like an introvert and extravert, they both have their own merits, so I think there is at least something good about getting to experience both sides. I think you can learn a lot from it.

Who do you think is more "real you"? Who you were in the past, or who you are now? What do you think you would choose if you were given the choice? You sound pretty cool with describing your extroversion and also I see a sort of desire to return to being that way. Am I incorrect in my assessment? Would you choose to live like an introvert if you had the choice to be an outgoing extrovert?
Man, that's a really interesting set of questions... But no, you're not incorrect at all. There is a part of me that really envies my younger self. But envying yourself is a weird feeling. Who is more the "real me"...? I really think both are equally as real and have their place in my life. The ''me'' of right now is just as genuinely me as the "me" that I was as a kid. Any numerous changes I've gone through in life have built upon each other to bring me to this point, for better or for worse. It's not all bad; in many ways I'm much better than young me ever was.
Craving for a more simpler time like childhood where you might've been at your happiest self is pretty normal among many people I think... it's nostalgia.
I don't believe I would give up on my introverted lifestyle if I was granted more extraversion, though. I would just try to find a better balance between the two; that is what I think younger me was much better at.

I know what you mean. Interestingly when I'm with moody people, I tend to find them exhausting and would rather they change their mood or just leave them the fuck alone and go do whatever it is that I want .. Sometimes I'll be compelled to take care of them, but generally I don't like overly moody people. I prefer to avoid being around them as much as possible so my group of friends and companions are always positive like me. I can't deal with complainers and whiners as much and will just sometimes sit there internally rolling my eyes wondering when they'll get themselves under control lol.
Exactly! If you're the sort of person who sucks up other people's emotions like a sponge then moody or cynical people can be incredibly exhausting after a while. I do understand why they're like that, though. They're probably having a bad day. It makes me feel sad for them. I wish I could help them become a bit more optimistic.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
My INFJ hubby is very good at picking up on all the subtle ways people express themselves. I notice these things too but not to the same degree that he does. He always makes me laugh when he taps into another voice. Usually it'll just be completely random and I'll be good at telling him exactly what character he sounds like. He's very good at mimicking my parents as well (much to my amusement lol).

I have certain accents that I'm better at than others and it can be fun to act those out. It's even easier when you're exposed to it for an extended period of time like in a show or in another area. I'll find myself picking up on the accent so then I can deliberately control how I really want to sound or not sound.

Reactions: Hexigoon and Kizuna

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
He always makes me laugh when he taps into another voice. Usually it'll just be completely random and I'll be good at telling him exactly what character he sounds like. He's very good at mimicking my parents as well (much to my amusement lol).
Sounds like fun times! lol What sort of characters does he mimic though, mostly "real" people like your parents etc, or also movie or even cartoon characters?? And what is he better at, when he knows the person from RL or not?

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My INFJ hubby is very good at picking up on all the subtle ways people express themselves. I notice these things too but not to the same degree that he does. He always makes me laugh when he taps into another voice. Usually it'll just be completely random and I'll be good at telling him exactly what character he sounds like. He's very good at mimicking my parents as well (much to my amusement lol).

I have certain accents that I'm better at than others and it can be fun to act those out. It's even easier when you're exposed to it for an extended period of time like in a show or in another area. I'll find myself picking up on the accent so then I can deliberately control how I really want to sound or not sound.
Wow that's cool! Your hubby sounds quite relatable.

Oh yeah, accents! I'll do those as well sometimes. I could always make my ex laugh by doing a stereotypical redneck voice.
But you're right, it is a lot easier when you've been exposed to it for a while. That's how I try to pick a voice up too.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
Sounds like fun times! lol What sort of characters does he mimic though, mostly "real" people like your parents etc, or also movie or even cartoon characters?? And what is he better at, when he knows the person from RL or not?
He does both equally but he tends to tap into the fictional cartoon characters on accident rather than intentionally. For instance, if he's talking to other cars on the road or exclaiming random stuff in random voices just for fun, I've noticed that he has quite a bit of character voices from Family Guy in there such as Stewie and Peter but when he tries to do the voice on command, it does not always come so easily (ironically enough!) lol Other cartoon characters would be some Looney Tune character like Marvin the Martian. He also has this crazed laugh he does that reminds me of a character from Crash Bandicoot lol.

He's better at tapping into RL people deliberately but good at tapping into fictional characters on accident (it would seem) lol. I tell him to mimic me sometimes but he says he can't do it but sometimes he mimics me in a teasing way which isn't the same. I think he might be afraid of offending me. It's funny though because sometimes I don't notice how people say certain things until he emphasizes these quirks by mimicking them. Like my dad tends to say "uhhhh" (makes me think of a frog) a lot while he's talking to people and my mom has a strong Jersey accent and often says funny things so they are extra funny to imitate ;) Everyone is a character!

Reactions: Kizuna and Hexigoon

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He does both equally but he tends to tap into the fictional cartoon characters on accident rather than intentionally. For instance, if he's talking to other cars on the road or exclaiming random stuff in random voices just for fun, I've noticed that he has quite a bit of character voices from Family Guy in there such as Stewie and Peter but when he tries to do the voice on command, it does not always come so easily (ironically enough!) lol Other cartoon characters would be some Looney Tune character like Marvin the Martian. He also has this crazed laugh he does that reminds me of a character from Crash Bandicoot lol.

He's better at tapping into RL people deliberately but good at tapping into fictional characters on accident (it would seem) lol. I tell him to mimic me sometimes but he says he can't do it but sometimes he mimics me in a teasing way which isn't the same. I think he might be afraid of offending me. It's funny though because sometimes I don't notice how people say certain things until he emphasizes these quirks by mimicking them. Like my dad tends to say "uhhhh" (makes me think of a frog) a lot while he's talking to people and my mom has a strong Jersey accent and often says funny things so they are extra funny to imitate ;) Everyone is a character!
Dude! That's a funny coincidence, I can do Marvin the Martian too! He's one of the voices I can do the best.
I find that he has a similar voice to Kermit the Frog, so I can sorta do him as well. You should see if he can do a Kermit voice too.
I can do quite a number of Family Guy voices too like Stewie, Peter (kinda imperfect though), Quagmire (I like to say the whole "giggity-giggity-goo~"), Joe, Cleveland and Herbert the Pervert.

I think my earliest memory of ever doing voices was me trying to imitate the Simpsons (I loved that show growing up, it has so many characters and so it had many different types of voices).
My voice was naturally too weak and squeaky as a kid to do them well, but I still found I could still get the general "feel" for them and how they spoke. If I remember correctly my dad was pretty impressed with my Mr Burns.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
Dude! That's a funny coincidence, I can do Marvin the Martian too! He's one of the voices I can do the best.
I find that he has a similar voice to Kermit the Frog, so I can sorta do him as well. You should see if he can do a Kermit voice too.
I can do quite a number of Family Guy voices too like Stewie, Peter (kinda imperfect though), Quagmire (I like to say the whole "giggity-giggity-goo~"), Joe, Cleveland and Herbert the Pervert.

I think my earliest memory of ever doing voices was me trying to imitate the Simpsons (I loved that show growing up, it has so many characters and so it had many different types of voices).
My voice was naturally too weak and squeaky as a kid to do them well, but I still found I could still get the general "feel" for them and how they spoke. If I remember correctly my dad was pretty impressed with my Mr Burns.
You're right - they are similar ;) It's funny you should mention Kermit the Frog because Kermit is actually one of the voices that I actually feel I am able to imitate decently. Whenever I do it, my hubby says I do a good job and it's cute but I don't always feel like it's that great lol.

Family Guy voices are so fun to do, huh? ;) I like saying "giggity" too at random times along with a good "that's what she said" joke every now and then :p

I didn't get into The Simpsons growing up but I'm familiar with it so I can imagine how those characters would be fun to act out too!

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You're right - they are similar ;) It's funny you should mention Kermit the Frog because Kermit is actually one of the voices that I actually feel I am able to imitate decently. Whenever I do it, my hubby says I do a good job and it's cute but I don't always feel like it's that great lol.

Family Guy voices are so fun to do, huh? ;) I like saying "giggity" too at random times along with a good "that's what she said" joke every now and then :p

I didn't get into The Simpsons growing up but I'm familiar with it so I can imagine how those characters would be fun to act out too!
Haha yeah, it's great if you can analyze a voice and enter into your mind library and latch on to all the voices you've heard that have a similar sound. It makes it easier. Like with Herbert, he always sounded like a creepy Winnie the Pooh to me so I can do that voice too by extension.
But you can do Kermit!? That's so cool! What other voices can you do decently? :) I think it would be really cool to have a partner who you could do voices with. You can have conversations with each other as different characters.

Yep! Family Guy definitely has fun, zany voices. Lol! I never thought about doing that to a "that's what she said" joke but I'll have to try to remember to do that next time. But yes, shows like Family Guy, Spongebob, Futurama, South Park, Looney Tunes, Some stuff from Cartoon Network like PowerPuff Girls have some of the funnest voices!

Awh that's a shame. The Simpsons did begin to degrade in quality over time once it lost a lot of its original writers but its older seasons are absolutely classic.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
Haha yeah, it's great if you can analyze a voice and enter into your mind library and latch on to all the voices you've heard that have a similar sound. It makes it easier. Like with Herbert, he always sounded like a creepy Winnie the Pooh to me so I can do that voice too by extension.
But you can do Kermit!? That's so cool! What other voices can you do decently? :) I think it would be really cool to have a partner who you could do voices with. You can have conversations with each other as different characters.

Yep! Family Guy definitely has fun, zany voices. Lol! I never thought about doing that to a "that's what she said" joke but I'll have to try to remember to do that next time. But yes, shows like Family Guy, Spongebob, Futurama, South Park, Looney Tunes, Some stuff from Cartoon Network like PowerPuff Girls have some of the funnest voices!

Awh that's a shame. The Simpsons did begin to degrade in quality over time once it lost a lot of its original writers but its older seasons are absolutely classic.
It's funny you should bring up Winnie the Pooh because my hubby was just talking about how funny his voice sounds yesterday lol whereas, I had never really thought about that before lol.

Yes, it's even fun when you're not that great at it and make an attempt because you wind up cracking up together while trying lol. Oh man, I can't seem to think of any other voices I can do off the top of my head since I don't do them very often! But I'm sure I'll think of some later ;) Well, I am good at mimicking what a young child sounds like if that counts for anything lol. I've realized that it's mainly that I picked up on the way one of my nieces sounded when she was around 4 or 5 and it's just something that kind of stuck or resonated with me.

So I've heard (about The Simpsons). I really should sit down and watch it one of these days. I've always liked the Maggie character and I hear the Lisa character is INFJ.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts