Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find developing my Ni has been extremely helpful (and necessary) for my "existence as an ISFP" (I'm a little high right now so excuse my semi-optimal wording lol). It could just be the same for every type when they develop their relief function, but I think its really nice for dealing with most the problems I had as a teen. Makes existential thinking actually reliefing. Whats your experience?

·
Registered
ISFP
96 Posts
I feel like being aware of our ter Ni is exceptional and a unique chance for us to better ourselves. A lot of people go through life without really understanding themselves, but being aware of our mistrust issues and tendencies to place a single meaning and possible end for something is amazing. It means I know where I fall short, and it also means I know where my qualities stand, without fooling myself into "simply being who I am" because of Fi. I think being aware of our Ni is actually a very good step for us to better it, because it means facing signification with more objectivity.

As for its use and importance in my life, I cannot say I use Ni very well for now, but I know I can indulge in Se, so I stay aware and I try to organize myself a little more. I think I have gotten better analytical skills of practical situations and people, thanks to my knowledge of the functions and Ni. I am vividly interested in psychology and sociology and have gotten much more open minded. I think this is me developping my auxiliary and a bit of Ni.

It's really important for us to remember that Ni is good when we are able to consider several meanings before choosing the right one. And to achieve this, we have to keep looking deeper, because true meaning comes with good empirical Se knowledge.

I think my Ni has gotten me more interested in rap music, which is all about meaning rather than senses, in my opinion. However, solely listening to songs for their meanings can get me extremely down, because I will emphasize with the lyrics (often critical of issues within society) rather than being cheered up by simple and nice sounds. I have found people who have Ne to be much more attracted to sadness in music, and I think it might be linked to the fact that Ne's core is about several meanings. If you get the sad part out of the way, you'll start thinking about happy meanings as well. It covers it all. Ni being tertiary makes our one single meaning extremely strong, often very idealistic or very negative; but I am trying to conquer it, by balancing my ideas with more concrete information and a realistic approach. It's a long journey. But I enjoy every part of it, as every dark place has its lessons to draw from :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree with you! The development of my Ni has made a huge difference in, ironically, simplifying life. I no longer have to actually experience something or meeting someone and see how Fi is feeling to know whether or not it's worthwhile or pursue that further. Ni has helped me gather those clues together and make (pretty) accurate judgments about things before experiencing them, so they're no longer completely unknown. However, this function I can basically only use internally in private, or on a one-on-one conversation with someone I REALLY trust. Otherwise, I just completely blank and resort to "Oh yeah, that's so cool! Look at that coffee cup over there..."

·
Registered
58 Posts
(...)Makes existential thinking actually reliefing.
Yes! It's like a whole new world opening up. Sensuality is paramount but piecing together and understanding why and finding different meanings and perspectives and possibilities... what a fantastic, exciting way to experience the abstract! It is very much a release, but different from sensual release, it is not about being sated... it is about endless discovery.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree with you! The development of my Ni has made a huge difference in, ironically, simplifying life. I no longer have to actually experience something or meeting someone and see how Fi is feeling to know whether or not it's worthwhile or pursue that further. Ni has helped me gather those clues together and make (pretty) accurate judgments about things before experiencing them, so they're no longer completely unknown. However, this function I can basically only use internally in private, or on a one-on-one conversation with someone I REALLY trust. Otherwise, I just completely blank and resort to "Oh yeah, that's so cool! Look at that coffee cup over there..."
Oh, yes, it is a very private thing. It's always been difficult for me to articulate the thoughts and connections I make in my head and getting involved with mbti communities has afforded me practice in writing them out more succinctly, but vocalizing them is an entirely different story. Part of it is the amount of time it takes me to make the connection, and then the additional time spent trying to verbalize it in a manner that actually makes sense and is not just rambling rhetoric... and by that time, the conversation has long since moved on and it's probably just as well, lol. Then sometimes there are those "Aha!" moments that just manifest almost in a burst of adrenaline and then they're misinterpreted and spoken over and at that point I generally retreat back inside my head and either listen or zone out. Those who understand it or even just regularly indulge it are few and far between but so very precious(ssss).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Exactly! Very true. I think that's why sensors get stereotyped as being "dumber" than intuitives - because, assuming both introverted and extroverted intuition are the ultimate forms of problem-solving and creative intelligence, respectively (which they obviously aren't, but whatever), since we have either one or the other in the lower end of our stack, we can't fully access them in many circumstances, one of which unfortunately is in social situations (which are already exhausting for introverts in general).

However, just because we can't always accurately predict the whole entire life history of someone we just met like an xNFJ supposedly can, or think on our toes and seem extremely logical and convincing despite scant evidence like xNTPs can, doesn't mean we aren't intuitive and intelligent in our own way. In fact, I was my high school's valedictorian (now given, I was on a medication that probably made me more ISTJ) and while I may not have been the best impromptu public speaker, I know for a fact that my Se and shadow Si, to an extent, were hugely influential in helping me absorb tons of information, create mental maps of concepts, and connect them all together come test time when I was able to relax and Ni kicked in.

Sorry about that rant!! Hahaha :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Good for you, man! I was always a natural learner but by my junior year of high school I'd had it up to here with everybody trying to tell me what to do and by senior year, I was done and just did what I had to. Maybe that's what happens when you've got a couple traditionalist parents, lol.

Anyway, regarding sensor bias... well, quite frankly, we all have our biases and I'm here to potentially work through one of mine... but I digress, lol. Anecdotal experience is pretty powerful, especially if you don't have a working knowledge of the full function stack and are operating strictly on an understanding of the dichotomies. It's an alright place to start, I suppose, but quickly shows itself to be inaccurate and extremely limiting and I think that's why so many people have such a problem with mbti in the first place. It's so much more complicated than "you're either one or the other."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts