Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know, I know, I just posted this on my blog, but I want to let you guys know.

So I was thinking about my future. (Trust me, this gets more interesting as it goes on, okay?) It came to me that I don't care about my grades. This semester I got a 3.5 GPA. Sounds okay-ish, right? I knew I have a lot more potential. I don't mean to sound elitist at all, but I know for a fact I can do a lot better than most kids later on in life. I was lost in a world of options that could be my priorities in life.

I was thinking, why could I be doing THIS when I could do so much more? Why should I be a slacker when I probably could get into a great college if I tried? I can do whatever I want, and I have the power to do it. Sure, I'm only in 9th grade, but colleges look at that. Why should I just piss on my privilidge and put it off because I'm more concerned about stupid things? Some guy at the supermarket nearly shit his pants when saw that I could talk fluently at 1 1/2 years old.

Yes, I thought grades didn't matter, but my grades hold the key to my future. I know if I get good grades, I can get accepted into a great college. I then could do whatever I want and have as many options as possible. I don't want to have a mediocre education when I could get invited to the best one I could handle with my strength.

If my strength was a balloon, I could either:

A) Test it and see how far it can float

or:

B) Piss on it, hide it in a dark closet, and let it pop.

HMMMM. Which sounds better? DUH! If you said A, good for you.

I hereby decree that whatever is happening/could happen is my responsibility, not anyone else's.

I know PerC is amazing, and there are lots of interesting people that have tons of insight to bring to the table, but it is a time sucker that DEFINITELY makes me focus less on school, and I don't think I can be on nearly as much. I will probably check it briefly every day or every other day and post a few times until I improve significantly, and I'll let you know on here when I do.

~Smileygirl

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
With time at PerC; remember its quality not quantity. Your posts will always be welcome, regardless of their frequency :).

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
A very good decision on your behalf, it shows you are taking responsibility for your actions. And yes, even at grade 9 its important you set some long term goals. You know life goes by so fast that before you know it you'll be finishing high school, and nothing is worse than getting there with regrets saying " if only i had focused on my studies ". You don't have to stop doing things you love, although making your education a priority is a smart thing to do. You'll be happy in the future when you get accepted into that college or University you apply for. I don't have a doubt that you will go to the school of your choice, i think you're quite determined ;) See you around, now go study young lady ;) XD

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
This is why I'm glad I finished school ;) Although I should be studying for college entrance exams, but they won't happen until the end of the year, so...

Well, I don't know you much except for the thanks you gave me, but I wish you good luck on your quest. Commitment like this can really get one far in life:cool:

·
Registered
847 Posts
Good for you, @Smileygirl! I also got mediocre grades until I decided I wanted A's. It only take as a little tiny bit more effort, everyday. The grades will help you so much in getting a college scholarship. Another thing - remember this! Your junior-year fall PSATs are almost more important than your SATs because if you can be a Merit Scholar honorable mention (or, semi-finalist) - and that is a big category - this will guarantee you a college scholarship. This is so important to think about this especially for a young woman because you are likely to be a Mom someday, and you will want options for how you parent. Your options will be strictly limited if you start your marriage with a giant college debt. Even buying a house will be difficult!

God bless your efforts. I wish you little or no college debt for your effort. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Good luck with your studies and make sure to take some breaks so you don't burn out. While this place might be too addictive for you, you do still need to do something that relaxes you so you can work productively! :proud:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Ahh..I'll be the only ENFP teen left here. :p But I do respect your decision, even I was thinking the same, but I'll come less online to improve. I also have the same problem like you, I don't do well whereas I can much better than I what do. So goodluck and do well!

Reactions: Some Kind of Blue

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
PerC, or other sites like it, will always be around. It's fabulous that you are recognizing the importance of being responsible now (it just gets more challenging later, trust me!). It's ok to have some fun, but you may have to cut something out if it's ruling your life and preventing success. But it sounds like, based on replies, that a lot of people are here for you and we believe 110% that you will do wonderful in life.

Now that I'm done with my undergrad, and briefly in a transition before I start my masters, I find that PerC is a great way to build my skills and knowledge in psychology. Once you are doing with what is required, you may find PerC to be a fabulous opportunity to continue to grow in knowledge.

We believe in ya :) @Smileygirl = AWESOME

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ahh..I'll be the only ENFP teen left here. :p But I do respect your decision, even I was thinking the same, but I'll come less online to improve. I also have the same problem like you, I don't do well whereas I can much better than I what do. So goodluck and do well!
@liza_200 How old are you? :D I got around to checking here today... and @Owfin I actually thought you were about 20 x)

·
Registered
138 Posts
I should actually follow your example and study harder while I still can too. Hahaha. I think you just inspired me to work harder in school. > v < I'm gonna miss reading your posts, but I'm cheering you on! Good luck! Do your best!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I'm about to do the same. I was accepted into my first school of choice on first try.
I really wanted to become a bold and beautiful robot first :/

Good luck to you!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts