Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello.

So, I'm back from my Dad's...and it was really nice to see him again. He's doing well, considering that he's off from the chemo, and everything else. He's waiting to see if he's going to have to have surgery, and trying to get up his strength for that. (He's gained 10 out of the 20 pounds that he lost on the chemo...so yay!)

Anyway...I had a bit of an issue, though... I'm an Atheist, though I'm a closet one. Well....I didn't realize it, but my family on my Dad's side is EXTREMELY religious So...when I went down there, I basically had to hide my Atheism and such when we were discussing religion and stuff. They now think that I'm basically a Deist that thinks critically about religion, but still believes in Jesus.
Whew! It was definitely hard.

But, I didn't tell them the truth, because where he's got cancer now...I didn't think that it would be a good idea. He's of the opinion that if someone doesn't believe...then they're going to burn in hell when they die...though he did think that I made some interesting thoughts when I gave them some of my 'critical thinking' towards the religion that they were speaking about. (Stuff like "if homosexuality is a sin, just like stealing or killing...and all sin is the same, then that doesn't make any sense. Why would someone that murdered someone else be judged the same as someone that was homosexual and was just trying to be with a partner that they loved?' It made them think.)

But yeah...it was so exhausting to keep up the front...but I will do that until my Dad is better. *sighs* I wish I didn't have to...but I feel that...even though he does love me, and such, because I'm his only daughter, and everything, that it would break his heart to learn that I'm an atheist...

I dunno. I just felt that, for peacefulness' sake, that I would put on a front for it, with a little of my true thoughts thrown in. And, no, I didn't actually volunteer any of the information...I just gave it as it was asked of me, or what have you.

I need a support group. lol

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I am an atheist. I recently came out as an atheist. I have some beliefs in spirituality, but I am an atheist primarily. My family is sort of religious, but expect me to go to church and understand and follow the rituals. I used to be Christian, but disagreed with the Bible and found so much of it so offensive that I scrapped it. I also could not take my church's dogma and obsessive following of ritualistic legalism.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts