Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, INTPs are impressive, but your intelligence, do you use your knowledge to impress other people? Do you want people to see you as impressive? Is your drive to uncover the objective roots of an idea something you like to help and please others with or is there more to your drive to uncover logic?

·
Registered
114 Posts
To answer the first part of your question, for me, I'm uncomfortable with the idea of "impressing" others. My approach in life is the antithesis of impressing others and I will sometimes downplay whatever intelligence I supposedly have. However, if over time from knowing me, someone comes to regard me as intelligent, than I would feel grateful for that regard.

What I'm trying to convey is that I'm the last person to get up on a soap box and show off. It feels uncomfortable, in the sense that my ego is running wild and in some childish way I need approval from others. At the same time, I do like to be respected, and one of my best attributes is my intelligence. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
do you use your knowledge to impress other people? Do you want people to see you as impressive?
These two questions are interesting to me, because while I really do want to impress people, I loathe the idea of trying to impress people. I just want to be impressive. Unsolicited compliments, not just about my intelligence but about anything, are wonderful and much more meaningful then anything that I've essentially set them up to say to me.

·
Registered
815 Posts
To answer the first part of your question, for me, I'm uncomfortable with the idea of "impressing" others. My approach in life is the antithesis of impressing others and I will sometimes downplay whatever intelligence I supposedly have. However, if over time from knowing me, someone comes to regard me as intelligent, than I would feel grateful for that regard.

What I'm trying to convey is that I'm the last person to get up on a soap box and show off. It feels uncomfortable, in the sense that my ego is running wild and in some childish way I need approval from others. At the same time, I do like to be respected, and one of my best attributes is my intelligence. Does that make sense?
Makes perfect sense to me. I completely agree :happy:

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Accuracy and integrity of information and intentions matter far, far more than being impressive. And after I have exhausted my energy on those, I have gained validation from myself, and I do not need it from others. If I have been correct, then I can take pride in knowing it, myself. Others typically can't understand anyway, so whats the point in trying to impress them with it? Most people don't seem to be impressed by accuracy and truth, but by the amount of other sheep who you can impress. Appear charismatic and it doesn't matter what bs you spout really. They swoon. It degrades the truth though. Not interested in that.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
Taking credit for INTP deeds is like feeling special for finding Waldo. It's right there, clear as day, sitting there for anyone to find him. If I find him first, that ultimately means nothing because, by definition, he was find-able. Part of my drive is then to help others find or notice the Waldos of our world.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Taking credit for INTP deeds is like feeling special for finding Waldo. It's right there, clear as day, sitting there for anyone to find him. If I find him first, that ultimately means nothing because, by definition, he was find-able. Part of my drive is then to help others find or notice the Waldos of our world.
that's a badass metaphor for it.

Here's how I see it. INTPs are probably all clever in their own field, but we all have different drives. For example, I just don't have an aptitude for physics, period. When we are growing up, we probably all found a system that both inspired and baffled us with its complexity . When they say we want the truth to the universe, it's because we think that somehow with enough information, we will finally be complete and happy (this is literally what Descartes -an INTP- writes).

So, it's not about pleasing others. But, part of the reason I chose my vocation in the first place is because I decided at the beginning: This is important, it will earn me respect, etc. I am not running around testing people's knowledge against mine for my ego. although if this was acceptable by society's standards...

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
The INTP nature is "behind-the-scene." I like to be appreciated for my competence or contributions, but I find it distasteful to try to impress people. I like to think and solve problems because it is its own reward. It's even better if I have an opportunity to use my strengths to help others.

·
Registered
988 Posts
The only thing that becomes distasteful after a while is people being impressed by me. It seems as if they are setting me up to look intelligent and logical with their questions.

Reactions: Foxwell

·
Registered
24 Posts
Very good question. I don't use it to impress as it's all relative anyway and I don't feel comfortable doing so. Also if I spent all my time trying to impress on other people I feel it would impair my own analysis of situations. As other people have said I find knowledge to be it's own reward and am a believer in the saying that 'the more you learn the less you know.....'

1 - 11 of 11 Posts