Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am usually fond of asking INFPs questions like the one I am about to ask because I admire how you all approach such presented scenarios, but this can be answered by any type and I would still be fascinated.

Imagine you are in a room filled with a total of 16 people, each with a different MBTI type. In this situation, you have all been herded and your captor assures you that if one person can offer him/herself as a sacrifice, he will set the other 15 free.

Who, in your opinion, is the most and/or least likely to sacrifice him/herself for the whole lot? State the reasons for your choices.

Reactions: Sillia Rosa

·
Registered
329 Posts
The INFP would probably sacrifice himself for the greater good. If he lived, he would probably suffer for life with the thought that he could have saved everyone and he failed.

In my humble opinion, the INTP/INTJ would most likely never sacrifice himself. He would probably think that his smarts are necessary to the world and there's surely someone more stupid that could be sacrificed in his place.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The INTP/INTJ would most likely never sacrifice himself. He would probably think that his smarts are necessary to the world and there's surely someone more stupid that could be sacrificed in his place, possibly a sensor.
Ouchouchouch. That 'sensors are stupid' stereotype drives me up the wall. I don't think the thoughts you're describing belong to an INTJ - I believe their rightful place is in the mind of a narcissist.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I think this is much more dependent on the individual person rather than a type.
I believe some sort of escape would be co-ordinated with ESTPs leading the effort.

·
Banned
3,960 Posts
I would also say one of the feelers as well. Also, one who possibly playdown the idea and go ahead and even lie to get themselves in the front line to saves heartache. But this is indeed dependent on us being objective of the types cos many types can be living their own shadow too. If the INFP is in his own shadow, then it is likely the ESTJ who will sacrifice himself instead.

I am not sure who is less likely to consider themselves but i can just envisage a T with the strategies, the statistical rate and chance who is most likely to survive and why based on some scientific truth with less moral values etc.... They will think about age, chances of procreation, who is the strongest, representative of each gender etc... etc etc etc....

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I would give them all the Personality Self-Portrait Test. Whoever scores highest on the Self Sacrificing type would be the most likely candidate.

There's no correlation between MBTI type and value system. I have around 100+ PSP test scores of various INFPs over the last 20 years. Value system is influenced by personal history and not cognitive functions. It's a person's value system that determines whether they would be willing to sacrifice themselves.

Reactions: baba yaga and ofana

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, there's only 1 captor and 16 people--all different types. I'm sure we could come up with a plan to overtake that sorry bastard.
Hahaha, I was actually waiting for someone to pick up on that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hmm, cool scenario and I now typically people see us INFP's as matyrs, but being kind and giving up your life are two very different things. In that scenario I would deeply consider doing it, but I would also consider the fact that the captor would kill anyone anyway. So my answer would be for him to go fuck himself.

Most likely - ESFJ or INFJ. Now I'm basing this on my mom and a friend, both would fel a need to protect others from pain.

Least likely - Tough one (again based on friends/family - most of which wouldn't) but I would say ESTP. My best friend and brother are this and I know for a fact that giving themselves up for a "greater good" would never cross their minds because they would never trust the captor to keep his word. They're not trusting people but they would have a point. And even if the captor was truthful, if it was a roomful of strangers they still wouldn't because they don't care about any of the people there.

Although I'd probably suggest overthrowing the asshole from his high horse

1 - 12 of 12 Posts