Personality Cafe banner

You're dissatisfied with your food at a restaurant, what do you do?

• Let the server know - but don't let them fix it

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Send it back - ask your server to fix it

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Ask for a discount / remove item from bill

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Say nothing - but leave a lower tip

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Do nothing

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've all gone out to eat and received food that is improperly cooked or we're just dissatisfied with. We have a few options, but what do we do about it? Please answer the poll and then feel free to write comments in the thread.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Prob some ways for them to compensate, like recooking, serving more food or giving a discount.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Really depends on what improperly means. If, for example, it's meat that's not thoroughly cooked, I would definitely wish to have it re-done or removed from the bill. If it's just not exactly as described, somewhat different spices or arrangement, things like that, I would not be bothered by it. Especially if it's still delicious.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I would let them know about it. If the server was smart, he or she would offer some sort of compensation, whether that be a discount or a meal exchange.

I wouldn't demand it, but I wouldn't be coming back to the restaurant if the service (mistake on cooked food included) was subpar.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I said "Say nothing and leave a lower tip" but that's not 100% accurate. Normally, if I'm just not crazy about something or there is a minor problem (something added to dish that I asked for them to omit as long as it's easy to push aside), I say nothing and it doesn't influence my tip if the service itself is good.

However, if there's a big problem, I'll say something. Once I went out for chicken kebabs and the center was raw pink -- I spoke up and left, but tipped the waitress who was fantastic.

Reactions: Theories

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I said "Say nothing and leave a lower tip" but that's not 100% accurate.
It's interesting that you are still thinking about this. It sounds like you are not the type of person to penalize the server when the "problem" was not his or her fault. You can click "unvote" and then change your vote if you'd like.

·
Banned
614 Posts
I can't say that I've ever received food that wasn't cooked right, but I've definitely found hair in my food before. I usually mention it to the waiter/waitress, but I don't let them fix it. Most of the time, they will give me a discount or give me what I ordered for free. The reason that I don't let them fix it is because I've known people who work in various types of restaurants (fast food, casual, high end, etc.) and they've told me about what happens to food whenever someone sends it back/wants their order fixed... :shocked:

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,447 Posts
I send it back immediately. Ask for it fixed. I am not rude about it. I do not understand the logic behind of the other option(s). What is there to think about? Why just sit there looking at it? If it is inedible or you see a cockroach, leave completely. The repetitive waitress/er stalking and "How's your food?" questions are not rhetorical. If something is off, I just say.

·
Registered
278 Posts
It's interesting that you are still thinking about this. It sounds like you are not the type of person to penalize the server when the "problem" was not his or her fault. You can click "unvote" and then change your vote if you'd like.
I think the life out of most things, haha. Thank you for the unvote tip.

·
Registered
278 Posts
@Dissentient I see you are in the legal profession. I am sure this makes you very good at your job.

I am a dissentient too. That is why I could never work in the legal profession.
Thank you. You'd probably be better at it then you think (though level of enjoyment is another story). Right now I'm waiting for my bar exam results, which is like a slow, painful, tooth extraction process. Actual legal advocacy and problem-solving is rewarding, though outcomes are sometimes maddening and that is the worst part for over-thinkers.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I come from a country where tipping is not obligatory and in which you don't criticize openly...

I do criticize openly in some situations but try to choose my battles wisely.

As a result, most probably I wouldn't say anything. Instead, I would write an online review on google. Unless the food was so awful it was inedible.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Usually, nothing, but it depends on the severity of the issue and the ease of fixing it. One time I ordered a rare steak, and it came out more like bleu (completely raw inside). I asked them to cook it for another couple of minutes, because I figured they wouldn't have to throw the steak out or anything, and I'm not eating raw steak. But quite often I order rare or medium-rare (I prefer medium rare, but most places overcook their steak hence ordering rare) and they overcook it a little, and it doesn't bother me enough to make a fuss.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
I've been working as a waiter in a restaurant. I usually don't get bothered when people complain about food and want stuff remade... the one thing that annoys me is when people wait till the end to complain or eat half or more of the food and then complain ...tell me as soon as its an issue...not waiting til I'm handing you the check to complain and act annoyed when you said everything was fine before, why are you telling me now, its too late... or complaining after you ate most of it... if it was an issue, then why did you have no problem eating most of your food... "oh you found a long red curly hair that matches the hair on your head in the very last bite that doesn't match my hair or any of the all men all hat wearing staff that works in the kitchen and now you want a free meal.. ok i'll get my manager".

·
Registered
519 Posts
I've been working as a waiter in a restaurant. I usually don't get bothered when people complain about food and want stuff remade... the one thing that annoys me is when people wait till the end to complain
Because when they are paying they have an apportunity to compain.

I once told the waiter I actually had ordered a small beer, not a big one while paying. Which was true. He was visibly upset. I drunk the big one, so of course I paid for it, but I was irritated he had brought be something I hadn't order. I was sitting with several people when he brought the drinks and it wasn't clear for me at the beginning it wasn't what I had ordered and then I didn't want to make a drama, so I didn't complain imediately.

·
Registered
ISFJ 6w7 sp/so
27,953 Posts
channel Gordon Ramsay and say "It's raw!" xD

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
If it is still safe to eat and just not made to my exact specifications then I will go ahead and eat it, though my odds of going there again in the future will diminish. If it is unsafe to eat, or includes certain items that I find extremely objectionable, then I will tell the server.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Because when they are paying they have an apportunity to compain.

I once told the waiter I actually had ordered a small beer, not a big one while paying. Which was true. He was visibly upset. I drunk the big one, so of course I paid for it, but I was irritated he had brought be something I hadn't order. I was sitting with several people when he brought the drinks and it wasn't clear for me at the beginning it wasn't what I had ordered and then I didn't want to make a drama, so I didn't complain imediately.
I do think that waiter was in the right... if you wanted to pay for the small you should have complained when he brought it to you. Either complain about something at the soonest opportunity or don't do it all....certainly don't wait to the end.

What annoys/dumbfounds me is that I always check back on the table a min after the food goes out to make sure everything came out good, as well as other times... I get annoyed when people tell me everything was good and then at the end of the meal complain... if you told me right away I could have had them refire a new one for you.... I can't replace a burger you already ate in its entirety which you earlier told me was good when you were eating it. If I'm handing you the check the window for complaining about the temperature of your burger that you ate in its entirety has long since closed. It's rare that happens but I've encountered it a few times and I'm just dumbfounded by it.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
To me, there’s a huge difference between improperly cooked and just dissatisfied. Improperly cooked implies to me that it’s undercooked, raw, unsafe, etc. In that case, 100% will say something and expect it fixed.

If it’s just a matter of something being slightly off or not to my personal taste, I’ll just eat it and not order it next time or not go back to the place if I wasn’t that impressed. No big deal.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts