Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we all know improv isn't really improv... it's having a huge bank of amusing thoughts of you've thought of before and applying it to the situation.

But anyway, I'm trying my hand at it in an hour or so...
and yes, I know... maybe a forum was a bad place to get quick advice no mater

there is always a next time (graunted I don't heckled out of this town)
And you know what? Damn, ENTPs are funny people.

so I'm asking for fodder, advice, and ego fuel?

I mean c'mon :p

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'm robbing your thought bank!

Tell me everything funny you know or I'll shoot!

And by shoot I mean myself, and the cops will arrive to find a dead me and see this forum and then the internet police will be on you like strippers on a dollar.

Sorry, I fear I'm working too many hours in that damn office...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm actually putting together a stand up set. I'm a pretty clever cat who runs off the top of his head, which is the intrigue of improv, but figure some back up will be nice.

For me, I discovered a lot of my humor is observational, situational, ironic, dry and somewhat caustic if not flat out blunt. For me, it's finding a way to naturally piece them together without killing my flow that's left me a bit confused.

Sometimes I get on a roll, and will have 5 solid 'jokes' and 5 vague ideas to improvise. I spent a good long time doing this today on the subway. My mind is always sharper in the evening.

Louis CK, Bill Hicks, George Carlin, Lisa Lampanelli, Jeffery Ross, Norm McDonald and Mitch Hedberg are without a doubt my biggest influences among others. Watch your favorite comics and study what you like about them. How they present the joke, what about it is funny to you and why. I mean, you can't really dissect humor, but I think it helps you take a look at how you work, and what to focus on from the way you naturally think.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Too late to this, but I'm interested in how it went: I'm doing a weekend workshop on improv soon to get a feel for doing it. Not because I want to do a lot of improv but because it is great for improving confidence on stage.
The only advice I've been given so far is that improv works best when you are generous to your co-improvisers. It won't work if it's all "me me me". The more you try to make them look funny, the better it works. They will do the same for you.

Push the Fe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts